Saturday at New Braunfels

Les Hall

Oct 25, 2015, 12:30:38 AM10/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Randy Ohman

Saturday at New Braunfels

by Les Hall

It’s been a busy week at the New Braunfels Space where I live and work (well, OK play!).  Early in the week I spoke with Walter, all week long I worked on my e-NABLE Phone Home project, and just today Don S. enslaved me to another elequa pursuit.

Funny how Don S. works, he doesn’t even try to get you to do the job, he just talks about it and gets you all excited about it and next thing you know you’ve made a commitment, lol!  Well, it’s probably time to get the elequa iron back in the fire before it cools too much anyway.  Also I spoke with Ryan and he agreed to give me any title I wanted as an elequa employee.  I told him I wanted Scotty’s title, which I believe was “Chief Engineer”.  There you go!

The photo below shows the Turbidity test fixture printed in glow-in-the-dark Ninjaflex (it’s what I have in stock, the glow is a bonus for Halloween).  You put two LEDs and two CdS cells in the holes and to a little Arduino Jujitsu to get the clarity and turbidity measuremens.  The beauty of the Ninjaflex is it grips the jar snugly yet can be removed easily - isn’t 3D printing wonderful?

In other news I 3D printed a small translucent red mount to hold an ESP8266 HUZZAH board on the back of a triple AA battery box.  The way this device works is it scans every minute for a WiFi hotspot and blinks it’s built in LED to inform you about what it finds.  This way my buddy John (I call him Ixmal) in London, England can leave his battery juice off on his phone and just look at the LED when he wants to check if a hotspot is nearby.  I have the hardware all done but the soldering and the software is written so this project is nearly done.

Next I refer you to a video (it’s only 2.5 minutes long) of me explaining what the e-NABLE Phone Home project is all about:

https://youtu.be/5KV_qXbiHfU

And finally, Ryan agreed to do some soldering for me, what are friends for right?  I can only solder outside of the nursing home where I live because of the oxygen tanks nearby (think KABLOOIE!), so with this wet weather my projects are all held up in traction while I wait to solder.  Ryan’s help is greatly appreciated.

So that’s a wrap, or a laser cut tortilla as it were, now it’s snack time for me and I hope you have a fantastic week!

Les

elequa Turbidity Sensor Mount - 1.jpg
Ixmal's Gizmo - 1.jpg

dale jenssen

Oct 25, 2015, 10:35:13 AM10/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall
Hi, I'm interested in joining.. have lots of sheet metal experience.

I'd like to know if your laser cutter cuts sheet metal?
thank you!!!!   dale jenssen

Dale Jenssen
www.dalejenssen.com
www.thesconcequeen.com
210-733-7557

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 23:30:37 -0500
Subject: [10BitWorks] Saturday at New Braunfels
From: sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
To: sa-hack...@googlegroups.com

Don Smeller

Oct 25, 2015, 12:08:33 PM10/25/15
to 10BitWorks
Dale,

We wish, but no, we can’t cut sheet metal.  The laser is only 80 watts, and the gas blow is only one atmosphere, air.
Do come down though, and get the nickel tour.  Best times are Saturday afternoons, or Tuesday or Wednesday evenings.

Your sconces are beautiful.  Will you teach us how to do that?

Don Smeller
El Presidente de 10Bit.

dale jenssen

Oct 25, 2015, 10:03:19 PM10/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
Yes.. will gladly share knowledge with y'all! will be down later in November... thanks!!  dale j

Subject: Re: [10BitWorks] laser cutter question
From: sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 11:08:30 -0500
To: sa-hack...@googlegroups.com