10 BitWorks Media Initiative

dayoj...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2015, 7:41:19 PM4/5/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Please Note:

My name is joey and I am a random 10BitWorks fan who loves media and working with cool organizations.  This past Tuesday I met with Don S. and a slew of others at the space and pitched a unified media initiative.  The initiative is a collaboration between 10BitWorks and The Convergent Media Collective, a collective I founded 3 years ago along with some people in the SA community and UIW/UT Austin students.

Our overall goal is to bring a consistency to the media presence of 10BitWorks.  This will include but is not limited to the following:

1.  A media friendly logo

2.  Both online and print templates for releasing information and events

3.  Organization of social media accounts and re-evaluation of posting consistency and frequency.

4.  A "document your project" station for the hacker space.  This will consist of an iPad and probably a light box that allows you to take photos and videos of your projects and post them to our social media accounts through the iPad itself.

5.  Creation of a Stock Video and Photo resource for doing promotions of 10BitWork events.  This even includes lower third graphics, watermarks and other cool stuff.

So yeah, these are just some examples of some of the stuff we are up to.  Please feel free to email the list back with any questions or requests.  We will be having a joint meeting again soon to go over some of the initial drafts of media documentation methods.  So stay tuned!

joey lopez
unofficial 10bitworks media wizard and lacky
the convergent media collective co-founder
thecmcollective.org
mygeekylife.com
joeysphotoandvideo.com

Matt Grooms

Jul 5, 2015, 1:59:17 PM7/5/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Joey,

In the process of installing two AppleTV’s at 10bitworks (big room ATV feeding the projector is done/tweaking, studio ATV mounted to a television in progress). I created a new Apple account these ATV’s are using to connect to iCloud (10bitwo...@gmail.com) .

As you know the ATV’s can use any photo stream they own (or have shared to them) as a screensaver. This gives us an easy method to splash 10bitworks slideshows on the wall any time we wan’t to (open house, neighborhood association meetings, workshops, etc.).

I know you spoke to collecting 10bitworks related pictures for promotion, social networking, etc. If you have made any progress in this area and have it stored as an iCloud photo stream, please send invitation(s) to the stream(s) to 10bitwo...@gmail.com so we can run them as a screensaver.

Thanks,

Matt Grooms

Joseph Lopez

Jul 5, 2015, 5:14:06 PM7/5/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Matt this is cool!

Let's try and meetup sometime and talk a bit more about this.

I have a iPad Mini I would like to "lease" (as in permanent loan) for use as a documentation tool.

It would be cool to put the Apple ID you created in it so the photos taken can be put into the stream.  Would make a nice seem less activity.  Also the iPad mini could also then be used to AirPlay to show documentation of various projects and initiatives around the space.  What do you think?   Btw I plan on coming to the next board meeting and giving a report on all the media initiatives.

Joey

Ps To answer your question I can make a curated photo stream so that we have "slide like" images on a stream that can promote the space.

Matt Grooms

Jul 5, 2015, 8:00:13 PM7/5/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Right on Joey; we’re walking down the same path. If the iPad /light box documentation station uses the 10bitwo...@gmail.com to register to iCloud then every snap taken becomes part of the record immediately available as eye-candy via the AppleTV’s.

Further, if we share that stream to all board members and 10bitworks promoters, they also always have the latest ‘happenings’ available in their pocket (ready to promote with) with zero effort.

My schedule is always unpredictable, but i’ll try to make it Wednesday.

Matt

Joseph Lopez

Jul 5, 2015, 10:44:42 PM7/5/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Ok I will shoot for Wednesday night.

See ya then!

Joseph Lopez

Jul 5, 2015, 10:46:26 PM7/5/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Actually I just realized I have a conflicting meeting this week for which I am in charge of.  What other days may work?  Maybe a Saturday morning?

Don Smeller

Jul 6, 2015, 4:51:55 AM7/6/15
to 10BitWorks
I’m there both Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings.
Don S

Matt Grooms

Jul 7, 2015, 7:03:32 AM7/7/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Guys,

Check this link to a really cool iPad stand. Multi-purpose, would fit the bill for a photo-documentation station, and a presentation device as well. Note, we would probably want to buy the version that includes power/light.

Matt

Matt Grooms

Jul 7, 2015, 3:07:44 PM7/7/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Guys,

Check out this really neat iPad stand named "Justand".

With a heavy case of split-personality it works equally well as a photo documentation station, a lecturn, and a tripod. The more desireable version includes two USB charing ports to charge your iPad, and power the included document light (iluminates docs while presenting in a darlened room).

Matt