Pocket Hole Jigs

john vanhoozer

Sep 18, 2017, 5:14:56 PM9/18/17
to 10BitWorks

Folks,

I'm building my own pocket hole jig.   My first pass has been to use an STL file from Thingiverse to 3d print one just to 1) see how it will look and 2) see if it will work.  Looks great!  However....

To make one that's really *really* usable, it needs to have a metal sleeve.  The ones that I bought will work with the stepped drill bit I have, but they sleeve won't fit the model.  I'm going to be re-printing it with a slightly wider opening for the sleeve.

I've got 3 pairs of sleeves.  Anyone interested in making a set?  Once I get the model right for the sleeves, I can either publish it here or mail it out.  Then if you're interested, I can let you have a pair of sleeves and show you what you'd have to do either at 10bit one Saturday or we could meetup there on a week night.

After my rant about cleanup and people not focusing on projects recently,  I should point out that a) this is a project I'm working at home; b) this tool will *help* build tables and the like at the space thereby making it a good thing to work on when I can't get to 10bit; and finally) it's cool and saved me a bunch of money, but not on my insurance.

john

NativeTexan210

Sep 19, 2017, 3:47:22 AM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks
I'm a photographer and at some point I want to start constructing my own frames to go with my artwork so one of these would be quite useful. I'm interested.

john vanhoozer

Sep 19, 2017, 3:56:33 PM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks
My own 1rst attempt looks really good, but 1) I should have measured my steel 1/2" sleeve - looks like they are really a smidge bigger on the outside; and B) Looks like my printer is out of calibration and my holes there are a smidge too small.

1 Smidge + 1 Smidge  =  1 CrapItWontFit

Rather than waste all that PLA, I'm going to work up the means to drill out the guides on the first one, while I print the next one.

Adam Bark

Sep 19, 2017, 4:47:39 PM9/19/17
to john vanhoozer via 10BitWorks

What does it do?

NativeTexan210

Sep 19, 2017, 4:49:21 PM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks
do a google search for "pocket holes" and you'll understand.

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 3:47:39 PM UTC-5, Adam Bark wrote:

What does it do?

Randy Ohman

Sep 19, 2017, 7:53:21 PM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks
Excellent.
Does it require special bits or screws?

Craig

Sep 19, 2017, 9:20:08 PM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 11:53:21 PM UTC, Randy Ohman wrote:
Excellent.
Does it require special bits or screws?
Just a 10bitworks, where the interpretation of 1 or 0 depends on project success
and if your an electrical engineer or non-electrical engineer.

Craig

john vanhoozer

Sep 19, 2017, 9:28:53 PM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks
Nyuk Nyuk!!!

john vanhoozer

Sep 19, 2017, 9:34:59 PM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks
Randy

It requires a stepped bit (3/8inch) with a depth stop.  Like you can find here:   Kreg Replacement Pocket Hole bit

You also need a clamp - well, not *need* but it *really* helps.

There are special screws, look like regular ones that have an extra wide head, sort of like an integrated washer.  You can use any screw, but you'll get better results with real pocket screws or screws with a washer.

Also, the screws are typically square drive (not always) and you'd need a long shank driver.

I think my latest prototype should do the trick... I'll be at the space tomorrow evening to open and will bring it.

john vanhoozer

Sep 26, 2017, 12:09:22 PM9/26/17
to 10BitWorks
I've finished and can say that the jig seems to work.  Could someone who has one please bring it in so I can compare the hole placement and function?  I'll be at 10bit on Wednesday Night and on Saturday.

I might even have an extra jig on me.  Not a stepped bit, but a completed jig.  A good stepped bit can be found HERE