Witte Museum Event Idea - DIY Matrix/Bullet time camera booth

Ryan Beltran

Nov 19, 2015, 10:51:52 AM11/19/15
to 10BitWorks
What do you guys think of doing a bullet time photo booth?

I got the idea when my friend went to CES and Nikon had a setup where people would hop in and make a pose and they would get a link to their 360 image/video that they could post as a gif online to FB and other social media. I think this would be a hit and it could be another thing 10bit has around for future events. We could also maybe use it to 3D scan large things for 3D printing too?  This is a great video of someone who made a setup with a raspberry Pi. I linked the blog post page about it below as well.

We don't need to use the high end cameras and we have options with how big we want to make it and how many cameras we want. The tricky part would be setting them up to fire simultaneously and it would be an added bonus if we had a computer to view the result and share that day.

A few people have some DIY tutorials up online too.

John Frazee

Nov 19, 2015, 12:49:57 PM11/19/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee

I wanna do that.

Ken Runner

Nov 19, 2015, 1:54:53 PM11/19/15
to 10BitWorks

Actually that sounds awesome.  Let's do it

Matt Grooms

Nov 20, 2015, 7:11:35 AM11/20/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
I have an idea for a simple mounting ring, ring supports, and RPi /camera mounts. Made from common construction materials, 3D printed parts, laser cut acrylic, and surplus gaffer clamps, it promises, easy setup, flexible positioning (low/high/level/angled), & stability, at a low cost. Happy to white board it when design time comes.

Matt G

Ryan Beltran

Nov 20, 2015, 4:10:43 PM11/20/15
to 10BitWorks
Awesome!

What should be the next steps? Designing the rig and figuring out a parts list/cost? Should we bring it to a board meeting or get a vote?

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 6:11:35 AM UTC-6, Matt Grooms wrote:
I have an idea for a simple mounting ring, ring supports, and RPi /camera mounts. Made from common construction materials, 3D printed parts, laser cut acrylic, and surplus gaffer clamps, it promises, easy setup, flexible positioning (low/high/level/angled), & stability, at a low cost. Happy to white board it when design time comes.

Matt G

Ken Runner

Nov 20, 2015, 4:42:39 PM11/20/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ryan Beltran
We could bring it before the board, but I think getting the design and a bill of materials with costs comes first.  If we do the 48 pi version I came up with a rough cost estimate between $3500-$4000 depending on which pi model you use, if the camera can be sourced direct from china, etc.

Let's work on the technical requirements and then get some test units put together like they did to make sure what we put together will work at all first.

Don Smeller

Nov 23, 2015, 5:46:28 AM11/23/15
to 10BitWorks
Are you looking for permission?  It’s a do-ocracy.  Just do it.

Tookys

Nov 23, 2015, 7:38:04 AM11/23/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
I just want to point out that the witte day is a family event and has people of all ages. 5 and up.

The bullet time photo booth is nice for the 16 and up group. But let's also get something for they younger crowd as well.

Matt Grooms

Nov 23, 2015, 7:03:39 PM11/23/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
I think the bullet time camera would be a great project, but I think there is another way to do it that has some real benefits.

Bullet Time Camera as proposed:
48 RasPi computers @ $35 each = $1680
48 RasPi cameras @ $30 each = $1440
48 local control Pi Plates @ $30? each = another $1440? (or more).
48 ports of Ethernet switches
48 Ethernet cables
48 Power cubes
48 USB cables
8 6-outlet power strips
Investment costs seem to be $4,500 or more.
Downsides in addition to cost are all those d##n cable, wires, etc.

So I’m daydreaming, thinking about the $9.82 Tracfone that Randy Ohman brought to our attention as a substitute FRC controller……… so what is an Android phone anyway?……. it’s a computer…….. that runs Linux…….. with a 7 hour battery life…….. and a camera……….and wireless networking……and a control interface built onto the back of it (LCD touch-display)!

Holy Crap I says! We can reduce the per node cost of the Bullet Camera from $100+ per node to $9.82 per node by building our bullet time camera with these LG L15G Android phones! ! !

Side benefits are no wires. Let me say that again… NO WIRES!!!! No network switches, no Ethernet cables,,,,, no power cubes, no USB cables, no power strips.

Just think how cool looking our bullet time camera could be…. a circle-frame with 48 Android phones mounted to it…… and not a cable in sight.

To that end, and to support a proof of concept project, I bought a dozen of these phones from local Walmart stores today. That’s 25% of the cameras we need for the entire project for just a few dollars over what One NODE of the RaspberryPi copy-cat design would cost.

If you think this is the way to go and you’re willing to gamble $10.26 of your hard earned cash, please rush out to your local Wally-World and buy a Tracfone ‘Sunshine’ LG L15G phone. If you can afford more, please buy as many as you can.

Worst case, if we can’t make them work for the Bullet Time Camera, you can use them in your home as a WiFi security camera.

Matt G

Ryan Beltran

Nov 23, 2015, 7:34:46 PM11/23/15
to 10BitWorks
Nice! Such a good idea!

The 48 pi tutorial link had the most info but there is no reason to spend so much on this rig. Camera phones sound perfect! So many apps revolve around the camera too so we have a ton of options.

I'll be around 10bit Wednesday if anyone want's to brainstorm.

mike perez

Nov 24, 2015, 4:41:01 PM11/24/15
to 10BitWorks
Matt,

when you bought the phones, did it say anyhting about hte price being a sale price?

this arstechnica article mentions that it is a sale price meaning the price could bump up to the MSRP of $60 (according to Amazon)

The $10 price is a sale price, and Amazon lists the MSRP as $60. The device will be locked to Tracfone service, so we suspect there is some subsidizing going on here. There is no contract, though, so you could pick up a (supposedly) completely functional, working Android device for $10.

Matt Grooms

Nov 24, 2015, 7:16:35 PM11/24/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Mike,

I feel certain the $9.82 price is temporary. The various Walmartians I’ve spoken with at the stores indicate the phones have been around at this price since October, but they’re going fast and not expected to be replenished.

I encourage everyone to go get these phones and donate them to 10bitworks, or use them at home. $9.82 for an entire computer is madness! You can get two of them for less than the retail price of an Arduino Uno! That’s only $21.26 tax included.

There are two models:

Tracfone LG L16 “Lucky”
Walmart bar code 616960105916
Item Part Number (bottom of box) TFLGL16CPWP
$9.82
Exact same phone as “Sunrise”, but for CDMA cellular network.

Tracfone LG L15 “Sunrise”
Walmart bar code 616960106500
Item Part Number (bottom of box) TFLGL15GP4P
$9.82
Exact same phone as “Lucky”, but for GSM cellular network.

Either phone is fine for the Bullet Time Camera project or any other hacking.

Phones do not need to be activated for the Android OS to operate. No additional expense beyond the initial investment.

Both phones have the same 3.8” LCD screen, 1.2 GHz Snapdragon CPU, 512MG RAM, 4GB internal flash, plus a free 4GB micro SD card, 3MP camera (no flash), no rear facing camera (sorry selfie addicts), Bluetooth 4.0, and WiFi (G?, N?, not sure). Box includes a small charging cube, and USB cable.

For crap sakes people, what are you waiting for? R U N to your closest Wally-World and buy all they have!

Put one in your car’s glove box for emergency 911 calls.

Hack one into a WiFi security camera.

Donate a few to 10BitWorks.

Purchases are limited to 2 per person, per transaction, per day; but it’s easy to talk your way around this. The registers will only allow two on a ticket, so you may have to make multiple purchases.

If your local store is out, they’re available from Walmart online for just a few dollars more in shipping charges. Still a steal.

Buy some as presents for your local hackerspace!!!!!!!

Matt G

Les Hall

Nov 25, 2015, 7:48:28 AM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
I have a silly question and forgive me if It has been mentioned as I did not read the whole history of this topic.  The question is:  Why not use one camera and spin it around?

Something akin to a slot car traveling at an enhanced speed (we used to soup them up and put magnets on them so they would stay put in the slot) and carrying a single small camera might do the job.  Such a setup would probably cost a lot less and setup/takedown into various forms easily.

Just a thought.

Les

Les Hall

Nov 25, 2015, 8:02:52 AM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Or another way would be to suspend the camera on a string, add fins to keep the camera oriented properly, and spin the string with an electric motor.  Maybe?

Les

Matt Grooms @ Gmail

Nov 25, 2015, 9:51:09 AM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall
Multiple cameras capturing frames simultaneously provides a freeze-frame effect; while frames captured from one moving camera do not.

Matt G

Les Hall

Nov 25, 2015, 10:01:45 AM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
then make a little choo choo train.

Ryan Beltrán

Nov 25, 2015, 11:35:48 AM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall
Yeah the freeze frame requires multiple stationary camera.

The $10 phone however is genius and I've already bought 4! I went to 3 walmarts and only one had them in stock.

This would be great also for the Elequa project Les and I are working on too. Cellphones to run the coagulators. Either way as Matt said everyone get their butts to Walmart to get these while they last!

--

Ryan Beltrán / Elequa.io
Founder / Filmmaker

Les Hall

Nov 25, 2015, 1:31:00 PM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ryan Beltran
sorry for my snippetty response, i have been in SO MUCH PAIN lately.  the end is in sight though!

Les

Ryan Beltrán

Nov 25, 2015, 2:57:23 PM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall
I found that going to the stores is kinda pointless when you can order them online and pickup for free.  I went a to a few more Walmarts and they didn't have any.

So I ordered a few online and I will donate most of these to 10bit. So if you have some spare time and dinero please order a few of these and donate them to 10bit! These can be hacked to do numerous things so it would be great for the bullet time and to have around for other projects.  Again thanks to Matt G for finding this awesome deal!

Here is what I did to get them online.  They limit 2 "LG L15G Sunrise"  and 1 "LG Prepaid Lucky LG16" per customer. So you can get 3 total each order and its about $5 in shipping but free if you pick it up at any local Walmart.  I bought 6 in person today and ordered 6 more online which I will pick up Dec 2nd.

Links

LG 16 Lucky

LG15 Sunrise

Matt Grooms

Nov 25, 2015, 5:15:47 PM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
“Snippity”? I didn’t hear/see snippety. I hope you get to feeling better soon Les. My reply was short cause I was thumbing it on a mobile phone :-)

I wish I could open my head and let y’all see what I have in mind; very simple, very flexible. Quick to setup, easy to reconfigure, easy to transport and store. I consists of four elements:
1) A frame - a frame is any section of 1” round tubing (thin wall steel, aluminum, conduit, etc), Can be a straight section, an arc, a full circle, whatever. (for a Bullet Time Camera, the frame will be a circle between 2' and 8’ diameter, depending on the number of cameras employed).
2) Camera mount bases - this surplus professional gaffer mount from Marlin P Jones.
3) Camera sleeves - A three-piece sandwich of laser cut acrylic bolted to the above gaffer mount. The sleeve will have both vertical and horizontal openings so the camera (Android phone) can be inserted in portrait or landscape orientation. (The hooked part of the gaffer clamp rests on the top of the frame, thumbscrew downward. The camera faces the subject inside the ring, leaving the touch screen pointing outward allowing the operator to see status info on the screen and provide control input via touch).
4) Cameras - (Android phone)

A deployment scenario might go like this:
1) support the circle frame in the air at whatever elevation / inclination makes sense. The frame can be suspended from the ceiling or rest on floor mounted supports.
2) Clamp the camera mounts equidistant around the frame, and rotate them about the pipe until each camera is pointed at the same aiming spot. The aiming spot can be marked by a Nerf ball on a stick or other object. The cameras don’t neccessarily need to be level. They could all point level, up, down, etc. A neat effect can be had by inclining the frame and adjusting each camera to the central aiming spot. The resulting effect is of the observer going around up over,back down, sort of under, then returning to the starting point.
3) Put subject in ring & take pictures - collect results, stitch them together sequentially and see the magic effect.

OK, enough daydreaming. Talk to you later.

Matt

Joseph Lopez

Nov 25, 2015, 5:18:37 PM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
This sounds very interesting ☺️

Matt Grooms

Nov 25, 2015, 5:24:13 PM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Good work; sounds like placing free delivery orders for local pickup is the smart move. That way you’re not subject to local stock on hand. Thanks for adding a substantial number to the growing pile.

Can some of you Black Friday shoppers step up and order a few for the cause?

Thanks,

Matt

Greg Bluntzer

Nov 25, 2015, 9:09:19 PM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
How do you plan on
 triggering the Android phones to take the picture?
 getting the pictures off of the phones?
 stitching the pictures together?

I wonder if we could make some sort of server that pushes a request to take the picture and also collects the images.
I think on modern browsers you can have javascript trigger media (camera)  on a webpage but I have no Idea how you make them all take a picture at the same time.

The stitching needs some sort of Morphing software so that it fills in the gaps. Maybe something like http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/index.html

Any thoughts?

Matt Grooms

Nov 25, 2015, 10:49:38 PM11/25/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
There will certainly need to be an orchestrator; could be a RaspberryPi, a laptop, or perhaps a repurposed wireless router running openWRT or DD-WRT Linux. The orchestrator would hand out fixed addresses via DHCP reservations, make sure all nodes were present, had their RTC’s synched, and otherwise ready to go. A few bits of GPIO on the router could be used to monitor a "go" button input and drive some countdown LED’s, etc.  When it’s time to take a picture the Orchestrator could send a multicast instruction to all nodes to take a picture at “this” time, a couple seconds in the future. No Java, no browsers, we want to keep this simple. Should be able to do it with simple shells scripts I hope.

Once the cameras have taken their picture each one could ftp or secure copy if to the orchestrator (or other destination) for collection and post processing.

The stitching sounds like it’s right down your alley Greg.

I think we’ll get some good ideas by reading all we can about the various Raspberry Pi bullet time camera projects and try to reproduce it in the Android environment.

Here’s a twist on the file upload part, that may bear fruit:
Who owns Android = Google.
Is Android tweaked for a high level of integration into the Google cloud infrastructure (Gmail, Drive, etc, etc - apps, API’s, etc) = ABSOLUTELY
What does 10bitworks have = 10bitworks.org Google Apps for NonProfits domain (with 10,000 user accounts)
SO, each Android camera (phone) in the project will have a 10bitworks.org user account (example, phone_1...@10bitworks.org) that it will use as a login into the Google cloud. Each user account has 30GB of cloud storage…… thus each phone has 30GB of cloud space to upload pictures to. It may also be the case that we can set the phones to automagically store all photos taken to the Google Drive. Having the operating system take care of this transfer in the background would eliminate the need for us to figure out the file collection part.

Lot’s of thoughts, but not much else. The long pole in the tent is figuring out how to root these phones! We need to have root in order to install an SSH daemon so we can can log into them, and also a SecureCopy client so we can upload the images (in case we can’t leverage the OS to do it for us). We’ll also need an editor, file xfer utilities, etc.

Anyone that’s savvy in Android hacking please step up.

Matt

Matt Grooms

Nov 26, 2015, 10:07:25 AM11/26/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Update (Good News / Bad News / Good News / Bad News)

Good News - Google has already done a bullet time camera using Android phones, a tablet, and Google Cloud components. It was done just last month (Oct 2015) for this event. Called "Google Spin”, there is a three part blog about it onetwothree. There is a really cool video here that whiteboards the entire thing. Google Spin will be released as an open source project that can be replicated by folks like us. There is a Twitter feed about it here, and the GetHub repository for the project is here.

Bad News - Android phones are not capable of taking a picture at an exact time. There is a small, unpredictable delay from the time you initiate a photo in the OS and the time the camera hardware actually takes the photo. Thus, if you tell a group of Android phones to take a picture “now”, the photos may actually happen 20-100 (more?) milliseconds apart. This is fine for a still subject, but not good enough to freeze frame motion (people jumping in air).

Good News - Google’s solution is to tell each camera to take several seconds of video instead of a single photo. At some time during this filming, the orchestrator tablet generates an extremely quick audio synch signal. This audio signal is captured by each phone along with the camera images. During post-processing this audio signal identifies the single frame from each camera that are then stitched together to form the animated GIF.

Bad News - The bargain cameras we’re trying to use (LG L15G “Sunrise” / LG L16C “Lucky”) are equipped with only three mega-pixel cameras. We new this going in and the 1280x960, 1536x1536, 2048x1350, & 2048x1536 still photos are “just barely” acceptable quality for what we have in mind. However, when used for video the cameras are only capable of 800x480 resolution which is pretty cheesy by today’s standards.

We can resume this discussion after some turkey, pie, and Dallas Cowboys Fooz-ball. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Matt G

Ryan Beltrán

Nov 26, 2015, 11:15:04 AM11/26/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Yeah I was just going to mention today that although the cameras are a great deal and I want to use them for other projects as well the photo quality isn't great for what we want to do.

So let's get back to brainstorming. I still think this could be done with one computer firing off multiple cameras instead of each camera having its own computer or raspberry pi.

Happy holiday to all!

Matt Grooms

Nov 27, 2015, 2:19:26 PM11/27/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Hey, I’m not giving up on these little phones. Too much value-for-$-spent to turn our backs on them. Going to make mounts for four of them and use a small frame (Hula Hoop diameter) to experiment taking pictures of still objects in the center. The camera app has a “say cheese” shutter trigger mode; will try firing all cameras from one spoken word and evaluate the results.

Matt

Ryan Beltrán

Nov 27, 2015, 3:24:59 PM11/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Sounds good. I left phones in the grey bin under the electrical station. Feel free to use them.

Ryan Beltrán

Dec 2, 2015, 11:36:47 PM12/2/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
So back to this! Is anyone around Saturday or Sunday to get together and plan this out with me? Matt when would be the best day for you to meet up with this? I live really close to 10bit so I'm pretty flexible.

Ryan Beltran

Dec 14, 2015, 11:11:51 AM12/14/15
to 10BitWorks
This Wednesday! Lets meet and get this going. I know Greg and Matt are interested.

Not entirely sure about the camera from the phone idea. The more I thought about it the harder it might be to get the same exposure locked on all images unless we made a custom app or something.

I saw another photobooth use this technique for a promo for star wars but it only did a half circle.

josh jordan