New guy wants Membership explained please

Joshua Nulton

Aug 15, 2016, 12:38:48 AM8/15/16
to 10BitWorks
Hello makers!

My name is Joshua, nickname is Jay. I live in Thailand and come to Texas to work 2-3 months every couple years. I just arrived back in Atascosa county and good or bad I have a contract that will keep me tied down here for the next 16 months. Just looking to learn some new tricks and hobbies and thought that 10BitWorks would be my best place to start. I have only seen one Maker/Hacker-space so I do not know how they all operate. The one I am familiar with has membership dues and depending on a member's level (amount) of support they would get access and authorization to utilize various areas, rooms, time slots and tools. I completely understand that a lease must be paid and replacing a worn out Co2 laser is not as free as we would like to make it to members, the matter of dues, donations or even contributions of time in teaching or volunteering are all great and certainly these are not being questioned.

My question though is how 10Bit works specifically. From the website I understand it to be $60 and more or less 24 hour access (obviously not abusing time, hogging equipment or space and definitely not taking opportunities from others to learn or use these things) but as a benefit of the member's contribution. I ask because the website says the member would be given keys. I had been offered this previously but was not interested, but now for the first time this concept does appeal to me and very much so because my work schedule only affords me a couple of hours per day, and those are in the weee morning hours between 4 and 7am. So that was the membership I thought would be best suited for me due to my schedule. But here is where the confusion came in....

Elsewhere (Google Groups and the Facebook page) I keep reading about the doors being opened, and other posts about the doors being closed. Are those posts in reference to off the street public walk-ins? I really want to become a contributing member, but I worry that the little time I have in my schedule (when in my schedule is the real concern) I would not have access to the space. Am I reading too deep into posts that were not intended toward contributing members? Lastly, regarding members, what is the current roster count for the various levels of membership?

Thanks for all your efforts, everyone! Looking forward to getting to know some of you soon possibly.
Joshua Nulton   KG5EBI

Tookys

Aug 15, 2016, 1:00:15 AM8/15/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Joshua Nulton
Hi Joshua I'm James

So a quick overview

$40/month your able to come and use the tools at the space during our regularly open hours. Or during any time we are open.

We had a practice of announcing when we were open/closed outside of the regular posted hours so people at the $40/month could come during that time as well.

This practice has since stopped as it was rather impractical for people to come in during these randomly announced times.

$60/month your given your own set of keys. Your able to come in any time you want.

The laser cutter is the only pay to use piece of equipment at $1/min of cut time.

As a paying member your given a storage container to keep your projects in. If you need additional storage space let one of the board members know and we can make arrangements as needed.

The best time to meet our members and to be given the full tour and overview of what you need to know are Saturdays around noon.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.