Commemorative SSTV broadcast from space - Happy Birthday to Yuri Gagarin

bigjonroberts

Apr 10, 2015, 12:39:50 AM4/10/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
For Ham radio enthusiasts who may be interested:
http://hackaday.com/2015/04/09/tv-broadcasts-from-outer-space/

Jeremy Z

Apr 10, 2015, 3:20:30 AM4/10/15
to 10bitworks

Looks like it should be easy, just need a 2m receiver capable of SSB (they're transmitting at 145.8 MHz), a computer with sound card and some free software. We have all the necessary stuff at 10Bit. See http://www.ariss.org/news.html If I read it correctly it's this Saturday from 5am to 4pm local time (1000z to 2100z). However it doesn't look like we'll have any overhead passes during that time period.. See:
http://heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544&lat=29.3924&lng=-98.4867&loc=Unspecified&alt=188&tz=CST
(click the "All" radio button otherwise you will only see naked eye optically visible passes)

Speaking of ham radio and space, I used to do ham radio over low earth orbit satellites (basically an orbiting repeater). It's pretty easy, would anyone be interested in seeing a demo or something? I'd be willing to set it up sometime.

Cheers,
Jeremy