Wish List for a graphic arts workstation

Sacha De'Angeli

Mar 26, 2015, 8:06:34 PM3/26/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of mike perez
Hi guys,

As I mentioned earlier, I'm setting up a graphic arts workstation for  the Silhouette Cameo and associated tools.

Things missing are:
  • A computer (unfortunately needs to be windows for the silhouette software)
  • A printer - prefer color laserjet, but beggars != choosers. There is an inkjet printer there, but it has a note saying that black doesn't work.
  • A license of Silhouette Studio Pro (retails for $45, but can get a license from Amazon for ~$26)
  • sticky cutting mats for craft cutters (I don't know what the real name of these things are)
  • Additional Silhouete Cameo blades (like a fabric blade, or just a few spare normal blades)
  • Vinyl and other material for cutting
  • Some Tee shirt vinyl material
  • Tee shirt inkjet or laser transfers (as long as we have the hot press, may as well use it, right?

Sacha De'Angeli

Sacha De'Angeli

Mar 26, 2015, 8:09:44 PM3/26/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of mike perez

Oh and we need lamination pouches for the laminator.

Kathryn Vaello

Mar 26, 2015, 8:12:03 PM3/26/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks

Sasha, I have a feeling if we get together we can share ideas and info. For instance there is a blade holder for $18 on amazon that is indestructible and probably  better in the long term. (Google CB09 blade).  I have ideas for resticking cutting mats...just a thought. What do you think?

tookys3

Mar 26, 2015, 8:36:46 PM3/26/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of katie
I have the windows 8 computer i keep at the space if yall wanna use it yall are welcome to.

(Computer is not a donation, just lending it for use)

Craig

Mar 27, 2015, 12:37:10 AM3/27/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 7:06:34 PM UTC-5, Sacha De'Angeli wrote:
Hi guys,

As I mentioned earlier, I'm setting up a graphic arts workstation for  the Silhouette Cameo and associated tools.

Things missing are:
  • A computer (unfortunately needs to be windows for the silhouette software)

Umm.... I'll look into how to get silhouette studio pro to run under wine on a pi 2 && donate software/hardware to the cause if it's doable.
 (alt. software inc. inkscape : http://libregraphicsworld.org/index.php/blog/entry/vinyl-cutting-on-linux-the-real-deal )

Craig

Sacha De'Angeli

Mar 27, 2015, 1:22:32 AM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Craig
Katie: that sounds great! Yes, any info you have on better supply sources, thoughts on how to make the machine less costly to run, etc is wonderful!

James: thanks! where is it and what does it look like?

Craig: there are features of the silhouette that I don't know would be supported by that setup (specifically the fiduciary stuff). But by all means, if you can get it to work reliably, do. I'll use it.

Sacha De'Angeli