CNC upgrade parts have arrived - work to start tonight

Ken Runner

Aug 18, 2015, 5:00:18 PM8/18/15
to 10BitWorks
I received the parts for the CNC upgrade today, so I plan on trying to start the upgrade tonight, come on by if you want to participate...

Ken Runner

Aug 19, 2015, 11:36:29 AM8/19/15
to 10BitWorks
Setup the PC for the CNC, installed Mach 3, but couldn't figure out where to enter a license key.  Realized that the PC does not have a parallel port, so I ordered one to put into a card slot.  Downloaded all the documentation the vendor had available.  I'm planning on printing the service manual out.

Jeremy and I took the back off the CNC and discussed what we could take out to make room for the new parts.  I think we still need a couple of cables.  I took pictures of the CNC guts for reference and to figure out the wiring for the steppers.  Hopefully the card will be in so that I can bring it by on Saturday...

tookys3

Aug 19, 2015, 1:24:45 PM8/19/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ken Runner
I think it would be cool if the gecko controller was kept external in a see theough case, so people could see it.

Ken Runner

Aug 19, 2015, 1:54:15 PM8/19/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of tookys3
What is we just put a plexiglass panel on the back of the CNC?

tookys3

Aug 19, 2015, 3:38:07 PM8/19/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ken Runner

M. Good

Aug 19, 2015, 6:31:24 PM8/19/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ken Runner

Ken,

The kit should have included an Ethernet SmoothStepper that eliminates the need for a parallel port and has better data transfer rate.

Is this the kit that was bought?

http://www.soigeneris.com/dyna_2200__2400__2800_conversion_kit-details.aspx

Man i'm missing out on the fun :(

But it's good to see the project is moving forward.

I have $50 to donate towards the project.

Ray

Ken Runner

Aug 19, 2015, 7:59:56 PM8/19/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ray Good
Yes that is the kit and it did include the ethernet port, there just isn't much info on how that's supposed to interconnect to things...maybe I should email the guy and see if he has any better docs on the kit, all I found so far were his docs on the steppers and service and user manuals for the CNC.  He did have links to the gecko manuals, but it was only 5 pages and didn't mention the ethernet connection.  I'm open to any suggestions or better info on how to put this together...