vlog tour of our Makerspace

Greg Bluntzer

Sep 19, 2017, 10:16:47 PM9/19/17
to sa-hackerspace
I made a video tour of the space.  https://youtu.be/nMa534BKjaE
I am going to try and make more in the future.
Let me know if you have a project you are making that I can video at the space.

Hope you like it. Please give feedback if you can :)

The camera is a Sony RX100 V
I used Blender as the video editor.If anyone is interested I can give a class on using Blender for Video Editing.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it.

Chris Hardee

Sep 19, 2017, 10:43:47 PM9/19/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
This is great, Greg!

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Adam Bark

Sep 20, 2017, 11:47:21 AM9/20/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer

I'm interested in Blender as a video editor. What made you pick it over say kdenlive or openshot?

NativeTexan210

Sep 20, 2017, 11:59:44 AM9/20/17
to 10BitWorks
I hope I'm not too harsh in this, forgive me if I am. My primary hobby kinda neighbors yours insomuch as I'm a photographer. I saw it on facebook and my thoughts were that its a great video...for existing members who haven't seen the new space. If that was the primary focus, great job. If it was also to help introduce the Space to the world...well it was rather lackluster. A few tips I'd suggest...

1. Script it. I did like the direction you went as far as the tour route. Great order of events. But I'd say figure out the names of pieces and don't point out the ones you don't know about or the flaws (even temporary) such as the broken door. Yes, I know it'll be fixed, but it's still a detraction.
2. Get someone to film for you. This was essentially a moving selfie. Again, not bad for a "look where we are now" video to other members, but not good for the world.
3. Possibly have someone familiar with the equipment demo one of the larger pieces in each area. Show people what they CAN do. Most people know how to use a table saw, but far fewer people have seen a laser cutter in action. Or the jewelry stand...I've seen that upstairs and I had no clue what it was. I'd love to see it in action.

If you want to do another version, I'd love to work with you on it. :-)

~Mike

Greg Bluntzer

Sep 20, 2017, 12:52:16 PM9/20/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of NativeTexan210
@Adam Bark - I picked Blender because I know if for 3D modeling. It can be used for modeling (stl for 3d printing), video editing, making line drawings( dxf for laser) and Video Tracking( for vfx). So not only can you edit video but you can add vfx to it.   Not sure if you have a Steam account but you can get Blender free on steam and it will auto update. Let me know when you have some video you want to edit and we can learn it together.

@NativeTexas210 - My middle name is "lackluster von selfie" :) .Perfect is the enemy of the good .  It would be cool if someone did a professional one, but that wont be me.  My primary goal for space is community and making stuff.  I  did this to be fun also to see if I like vlogging.   Maybe there is a lurker here who would love to make a Official 10Bitworks Tour for the website??? Looking forward to meeting you Mike and getting tips on photography. Maybe you can help me figure out all the settings on my new camera.

Going to try and make a video  same style on laser cutter tonight.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the day and hope to see people at space tonight!

Craig

Sep 22, 2017, 7:30:50 PM9/22/17
to 10BitWorks

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 2:16:47 AM UTC, Greg Bluntzer wrote:
I made a video tour of the space.  https://youtu.be/nMa534BKjaE
I am going to try and make more in the future.
Let me know if you have a project you are making that I can video at the space.

Hope you like it. Please give feedback if you can :)
Yes!  Good video demo.

Craig

Craig

Sep 23, 2017, 5:21:10 PM9/23/17
to 10BitWorks
Any plans to convert the machine instruction demos to simulated hologram instructions/walk thoughs?
e.g. https://uploadvr.com/become-star-wars-hologram-help-r2-d2-arkit/ using https://www.mirareality.com/ ?

Note:  using something like mira in place of classroom screens would allow for more project desk space!

Craig