RE: [10BitWorks] Specialized drill press w/stand available

tookys3

May 13, 2015, 7:40:19 PM5/13/15
to Randy Ohman via 10BitWorks
Whats the chuck capacity?

-------- Original message --------
From: Randy Ohman via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQdqPUlJoE3XM...@googlegroups.com>
Date: 05/13/2015 16:46 (GMT-06:00)
To: sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [10BitWorks] Specialized drill press w/stand available

A friend of the space has offered what is known as a "Paper Drill." Used to make holes in thick stacks of paper, it is a 1/4 hp drill press that typically uses special drill bits to go through paper cleanly when using the foot pedal to advance the spindle.

It is on a industrial quality stand and, aside from the drilling head itself, it looks like a commercial quality router table.

I put it out for discussion. I just learned of it and haven't seen it but I would think its value would be in putting a standard chuck on the spindle so it could be used as a regular drill press. If it's decided it would be an asset to the space, I volunteer to do the make-ready for use.

Speak up...let us all know what you think.

I attach pictures, the wiki page link for such machines. A .pdf of the manual is available.

Randy Ohman

May 14, 2015, 11:33:26 AM5/14/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
It will need a chuck, in the normal sense of the word as I am guessing that it has a specialized tool/bit holder now for the paper drilling. I would be getting a Jacobs style chuck for it and doing what is necessary to mount it on the spindle. The spindle is the motor shaft so the size can be used to limit what we want people putting in it or we can put a big one on and let folks rely on common sense for what they are doing. My guess we'd use 3/8" or 1/2".

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 6:40:19 PM UTC-5, tookys3 wrote:
Whats the chuck capacity?

tookys3

May 14, 2015, 1:06:51 PM5/14/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Randy Ohman
One issue that can occur with automated equipment is the lack of physical feed back.

On a manual press you can feel the push back of the drill to see how it is cutting and if it is about to break.

On a cnc machine you have no feed back and risk breaking the drill.

(breaking a drill may not sound so bad, but i had a co-worker have to have a piece of steel removed from his arm that was about the size of a pencil eraser when a drill broke on him).

Our current press has 1/3 HP (.33 HP compared to the .25 HP of the press)

In my opinion it isnt worth it UNLESS it is able to move the work piece around to drill holes in docferent location (manually or otherwise)

May 14, 2015, 5:29:34 PM5/14/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
It's a completely manual machine. It looks like it has a foot pedal instead of a hand wheel. Like a standard drill press, one moves the work on the table to center the desired hole location under the bit. The back edge of the table has a fence similar to a router table. I presume that can be taken off and put back on in the event one has a row of holes to drill.

Sacha De'Angeli

May 15, 2015, 4:23:27 PM5/15/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Randy Ohman
tbh, I like the stand a heckuva lot more than I like the tool. It's worth getting just for the stand and the pedal switch.

The Drill press we have now is superior to this thing, if only because it's not direct drive.

Sacha De'Angeli