Will laser cutter be available this week?

mike perez

Jul 7, 2016, 7:36:36 PM7/7/16
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com

Hey,
If possible, I'd like to use the Laser cutter to burn an image in two or three tortillas to use as a sample for further discussions at work.

I've attached a PDF of the image. I have requested the image itself from the PDF author.

If it is available, what do I need to bring?
Type of image? PNG?
Software to convert image to something laser cutter can use.
What tortillas works best?
Cost and approximate time needed to complete?

Thanks

Tortilla Vote at the Library! copy.pdf

Joseph Lopez

Jul 7, 2016, 9:48:44 PM7/7/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of mike perez, johnf...@gmail.com, Jeremy Z
Jeremy and John know it pretty well.  I personally haven't done any cutting on it alone.  I actually have time now to learn.  Maybe we can all get together.

joey
<Tortilla Vote at the Library! copy.pdf>

mike perez

Jul 8, 2016, 11:29:11 AM7/8/16
to 10BitWorks
Do i need to schedule use of the laser? Where would i do that?

Jeremy Z

Jul 8, 2016, 12:03:54 PM7/8/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of mike perez
There are two laser cutters at the space at the moment, the one you'll want to use for tortillas is the Full Spectrum Laser. It's a lot smaller and has lower power, but it's software is easier to use and it has built in functions to make gray scale raster images come out quite nice. There is no scheduling mechanism or anything like that. John F. knows the FSL system/software really well, I know it well enough to figure it out as I go... However I know the Rabbit laser quite well and am good with any mechanical/calibration issues on both.  When would you want to meet to work on it?

Now that that's all said, your image isn't grayscale, it's just black and white, so you could also use the big laser cutter pretty easily but, that thing is def not food safe, like you'd not want to eat the tortillas after they've been on that cutting bed. (Oh and lasered tortillas taste nasty anyway, just so ya know).

I don't remember which brand worked best but cheap/factory flour (mission brand perhaps?) seemed to work fine if I remember correctly.

Image format is fine, can be converted there if need be.

Cost and time are related and are dependent on your design and how large it is, the laser speed settings, how many you're planning to make, etc. It's not a fast process since it has to raster scan the entire area where graphics are... I /think/ each was taking somewhere between 10 and 20 min to burn a 1-2" square picture/face onto a tortilla. Only real way to know is going to be to actually do it and come up with optimized settings for the job, which means experimentation.

mike perez

Jul 8, 2016, 4:32:52 PM7/8/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks, Regina Villalobos-Perez
Jeremy,

cool. I think i am free anytime this weekend and Monday evening. I'll need it for Tuesday.

Just let me know when you have some free time. I'll bring some throw-away tortillas and tacos to eat :)

The tortillas to be etched won't be eaten, AFAIK. If approved, they will be used for marketing a voter registration / tortilla-making workshop at the central library. But we just wanted to make a few samples to start.

Once approved, I can let you know how many we will need to be etch and come up with a payment proposal for 10bit.