Laser cut MDF

Adam Bark

Sep 6, 2017, 10:33:55 PM9/6/17
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Anybody know how much MDF the laser cutter can get through? I'd like to
cut some patterns out of 19 mm board if possible.

Thanks,
Adam.

Don Smeller

Sep 7, 2017, 9:47:57 AM9/7/17
to 10BitWorks
Adam,

The examples of what we can cut are stacked on the shelves by the laser computer. 19mm will not be represented. Probably 12mm is the thickest.
I have started the cut in 3/4” plywood (19mm), got about 2/3 of the way through, and finished the cut with a band saw.
It’s not pretty, it’s not quick, but it does the job better than one can do without the laser.

Don S

Mike Garis

Sep 7, 2017, 3:19:15 PM9/7/17
to 10BitWorks
Yea I that at 80 watts the best we can do is about 12mm (about 1/2in) I have seen techniques to cut thicker that involve flipping the material over and cutting it again from the other side. The problem with this of course is having a reversed pattern to load, and indexing the laser and the material to line up.

- Mike G.

TJ

Oct 2, 2017, 1:25:05 AM10/2/17
to 10BitWorks
What prevents running it 3-4 times to MDF thickness?  Is a delay between cycles needed to clear the smoke?

Mike Garis

Oct 2, 2017, 8:42:39 AM10/2/17
to 10BitWorks
Someone might need to correct or clarify for me, but the problem I think is that the cutting point has to be focused to a particular depth, and cuts not at that depth are not as effective, or far enough out not really effective at all, I think.

- Mike G.