Laser cutting for a San Antonio tricentennial art project

Stevan Živadinović

Apr 19, 2018, 4:30:23 PM4/19/18
to Republic of Makers
Hi there Makers,

I am working with Rick Stemm on a tricentennial art project and I was wondering if I could come in one day this or next week to get a piece of acrylic laser cut.

The project is called Word Salsa and will be an interactive kiosk with a button and a thermal printer that generates poetry. It is trained on a database of historical and contemporary San Antonio poetry we've collected and we'll be moving it around the city for a year starting in May. I'm attaching a mockup of what it will look like up and running (the slit for the printer output and the button hole are things we need knocked out).

Can we do this at the Republic of Makers? What days would work best? What kind of format should my files be in? Do you guys accept cash or cards or paypal?

Thanks for any support you can offer!
Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 2.23.28 PM.png

Chris Hardee

Apr 19, 2018, 4:37:10 PM4/19/18
to Republic of Makers on behalf of Stevan Živadinović
Hey Stevan, come in the Saturday afternoon, that's our main open day for non-members. We do have a laser cutter that can help you with your project.

As for the format, if you have it in dxf (usually from CAD software) or svg (can be generated from Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape). We accept cash and it depends on your laser time, although the best way you can pay us is to become a member! We'll give you a nickel tour and try to sell you on all the benefits of memberdom.

Chris Hardee
Republic of Makers
San Antonio Makerspace

Stevan Živadinović

Apr 21, 2018, 1:18:54 PM4/21/18
to Republic of Makers
Sweet! I'll try to be there by around 3:30.
LASER CUT 15x40" 3cm button 9.5cm slit.svg