Help: Laser Down

Don Smeller

Oct 3, 2015, 11:24:08 AM10/3/15
to 10BitWorks
This morning the laser cutter is not performing properly.
The red aiming light is askew.
The test fire button shoots a very large hole: like 2.5mm instead of .05mm.
When trying to cut Masonite (1/8” thick), it leaves a scorched furrow instead of a clean cut.

Can anyone suggest what to do, or come down here and make it good.

Help. Call me

Don Smeller
mobile 210-863-9037

Chris Hardee

Oct 3, 2015, 11:48:16 AM10/3/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
Sounds like it got bumped, there is a focus piece that will help align the laser. Unfortunately it's been a long time since I got the tutorial on how to use it.

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Joseph Lopez

Oct 3, 2015, 3:21:59 PM10/3/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee
It might have the other laser lens on it.  Try swapping them out.  If you continue to have issues let me know, Jeremy trained 2 people from the CMC collective on how to used it.

Joey

Jeremy Z

Oct 3, 2015, 9:57:23 PM10/3/15
to 10bitworks

Someone, left the long focal length lens in the machine, use the focus tool or swap the lens out with the other one.

Don Smeller

Oct 4, 2015, 4:57:45 AM10/4/15
to 10BitWorks

John Frazee to the rescue!
John put things aright by 2:00 PM.
He swapped tubes. The secret is knowing where to look for the other tube.
I called Zach and Murphi who had come in early to use the laser to make more silhouettes for their shadow puppet show.
They came back in and had their work done by 6:00PM.
They left, Happy Campers, and in the bargain, Murphi pitched in and helped Ryan assemble circuit boards, learned a new skill, made some new friends.
It’s, you know, that community thing.

Don S

(Did Jeremy respond from half-way around the world?  !  )