Fund for VR Headset (HTC Vive)?

Greg Bluntzer

Mar 3, 2016, 10:37:41 PM3/3/16
to sa-hackerspace
Anyone interested in putting in funds to get the space a VR Headset?

The one I would like to get is the HTC Vive

It cost 830 bucks and will require a hefty pc to run.

Let me know if anyone is interested in pitching in to make a holodeck at the space :)

Joseph Lopez

Mar 3, 2016, 10:54:30 PM3/3/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
We can always do a small fundraiser, I am happy to help with a campaign.

joey

Ryan Beltrán

Mar 3, 2016, 11:56:00 PM3/3/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of dayojtl333@gmail.com
I'm interested. I saw this come up on steam but how does it compare to other VR sets?

--

Ryan Beltrán / elequa.io
Founder / Filmmaker

Greg Bluntzer

Mar 4, 2016, 12:47:58 AM3/4/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ryan Beltran
@Joey Thanks for the offer of help. Lets see how many members are interested and go from there.

@Ryan  I believe the Vive is more geared toward PC games and is Steam backed. It is the most pricey of all the ones out there but the technology seems to be the best. Presales have been good so that is a good sign it will be adopted and supported.
Thanks for the interest.

Ken Runner

Mar 23, 2016, 3:01:24 PM3/23/16
to 10BitWorks
Add me to the list of those interested...

Ryan Beltrán

Mar 30, 2016, 2:16:43 PM3/30/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ken Runner
Still interested. One of the things that I'm really curious about is 3-D modeling with VR and hand controls I feel like I could do a lot more this way and it would be fun. This link is of the oculus but I it doesn't mean that others couldn't do this also

Greg Bluntzer

Mar 30, 2016, 2:40:40 PM3/30/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ryan Beltran
So far we have Me(Greg) , Ryan and Ken wanting to pitch in. With Joey willing to help on campaign.

I am mostly wanting to know if people are actually interested and if so are they willing to donate.
Also was thinking of keeping the campaign old school. Maybe a donation box at the space with envelopes to write your name on and put money in. otherwise we have to bump of the cost to cover the transaction fees.

We will probably need about 2,000 dollars
$1200 for PC with good graphics card capable of 90 fps
$800 for the HTC VIVE headset, controllers , and laser emitters

Anyone else interested?  I would say we need at least 10 people to speak up before we proceed with a campaign to outsiders.