Can anyone donate a decent PC to get the Dyna CNC mill running? See email for specs needed.

Jeremy Z

Apr 5, 2015, 8:51:18 PM4/5/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Ken's acquisition of the flat files we've got funds to swap out the guts of the Dyna CNC mill and get it into an easily usable state. We don't however have enough funds to purchase a new PC, and I was hoping one of y'all would have a spare PC sitting around doing nothing.

My plan is to replace the guts with a Gecko G540, and purchase a license of Mach 3 to run on a Windows PC. I know some just cringed really hard because I said Windows, lol, but I'd like this thing to be easy to use and Just Work (tm) rather than have to deal with all the problems that come with open source stuff (yaks stink).

Mach3 Minimum Recommended Requirements:
  • Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
  • 32-bit version of Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
  • 1Ghz CPU (ideally significantly better)
  • 512MB RAM (ideally 4GB)
  • Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

A functional CNC Mill would give us a whole slew of capabilities we don't yet have. Another thing to note is that we have probably 200 milling bits for it, so it's like super ready to go!

If you want to email me off list about a possible donation, feel free: zunkworks at gmail

Cheers,

Jeremy

Don Smeller

Apr 5, 2015, 9:56:32 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks
Do you think the PC,monitor, keyboard, mouse that your former company supplied me would work?
Don S

Jeremy Z

Apr 5, 2015, 9:58:46 PM4/5/15
to 10bitworks

letterj

Apr 5, 2015, 10:54:17 PM4/5/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
I would be happy to chip in $250 to help out.    Let me know how to get it to you.

Don Smeller

Apr 5, 2015, 11:04:35 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks
I boxed it up and set it in my truck.  By the way, you’re going to be wondering what happened to the 25 pin to 6 pin serial cable.  I borrowed it for an experiment Monday.  Will return it with the PC, on Tuesday.
Don S

Fredrik Safstrom

Apr 6, 2015, 10:41:24 AM4/6/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Howdy...

I have run the Mach 3 on 64 bit Windows, the Parallel port driver does not work so you need a USB controller...
The board I used and know works is the USB Smooth stepper, http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?products_id=185.

I like Mach 3, it's easy to set up and works out of the box, it's what I use for my CNC... ;-)

/Fredrik

Don Smeller

Apr 6, 2015, 9:35:31 PM4/6/15
to 10BitWorks
Jeremy, I dropped off a PC and roll-around stand.  It’s next to the CNC mill.  It probably needs some scrubbing.  Don S.

Jeremy Z

Apr 7, 2015, 3:18:41 PM4/7/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
Fredrik, which motor drivers/amplifiers are you using, or do you not need them with that USB interface board?

@Don, roger, thanks.

Fredrik Safstrom

Apr 7, 2015, 4:36:56 PM4/7/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks
Howdy...

You still need the Gecko or a similar stepper motor driver, the Smooth Stepper only replaces the parallel port so to say...
It's like adding two parallel ports over USB basically...

If you know the specs of the stepper motors, you might get by with a cheaper stepper motor driver, we used a couple of these on a CNC lathe...
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=75_74&products_id=493

For my CNC, I use the Gecko G540 and Nema23 380 oz-in stepper motors...

/Fredrik