Robots!

Les Hall

Jun 24, 2015, 2:42:43 PM6/24/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Randy Ohman
Noting that a simple, 3D printed, open source chess-playing robot could store 64 chess piece sized drill bits, and responding to the most excellent suggestion of an XY gantry bot for said purpose, it occurs that perhaps not the storage of bits, but some other task could be robotically performed at 10bit.

One idea might be a greeter Robot at the front door.  It could hand people brochures or 10bit trinkets of some type made just for the task.  It would be fairly straightforward to make a simple trainable robotic arm perform this task, though of course the Devil is in the details as always.  I have three servos with analog outputs from Adafruit, the metal gear type, to donate to the project.  Such a simple robot could be built with only three or possibly four servos.

What do you think?

Les

Les Hall

Jun 25, 2015, 2:24:14 AM6/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Randy Ohman
I posted a message here with the same title and I never saw it come back to my inbox like they usually do.  Is something wrong with the mail delivery system?

Anyway I have a trinket pro and three servos with analog feedback option, metal gear type from Adafruit.  One of the servos has it's mounting flanges filed slightly off to fit an Adafruit kit, but is otherwise fine.

I am wondering what kind of robot I can build with these and a 3D printer plus misc. circuit stuff?

Les

Les Hall

Jun 25, 2015, 3:09:41 AM6/25/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
I figured it out, or rather saw it done - a drawing robot requires only three servos and is very simple to implement!  I'll give that a try in my spare cycles, which are few.  It will be programmable like a spirograph, though with the analog feedback it could also be programmable by a human artist.  I have some sharpies to use as the drawing tool.  Let's call it a project!

Les

Randy Ohman

Jun 25, 2015, 9:48:55 AM6/25/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
That will be interesting. Entertaining, too.

Mike Garis

Jun 25, 2015, 10:11:01 AM6/25/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
If we want a group project I would suggest something like getting the side door working with an RFID lock so we do not have to copy keys any more. Granted the alarm panel near that door will also need to be programmed.

- Mike G.

Les Hall

Jun 25, 2015, 10:14:10 AM6/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mike Garis
Oh, I wasn't asking for help, just advice or folks to act as a sounding board.  You know, including others in what you are doing is at least half the fun of any project!  I'll do the work myself (over time, elequa takes first priority).

Les

Kevin Baldor

Jun 25, 2015, 11:13:29 AM6/25/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mike Garis
Any chance of converting the disused public telephone into an external alarm control (to be used in conjunction with RFID tags)? Two-factor authentication!

Les Hall

Jun 26, 2015, 1:34:12 AM6/26/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Kevin Baldor
An OpenSCAD Gif (not complete) with blocky solenoid models, solenoid mounting plates, knurled shaft mounts, and connecting rods.  This Gif illustrates the motion of the drawing robot, in part, without many of the specific details that will be necessary to complete it.

Ivan, by the way, is the name of my robot.  Ivan was born in May and is now a toddler learning to draw.  He cut his teeth on music when he learned how to move solenoids and played a crude Theremin based on capacitive sensing.  As Ivan grows (quickly compared to humans), he will gain skills and abilities, eventually one day becoming a powerful robot.  Or at least that's the plan.

Soon Ivan will draw, elequa work permitting!

Les

Ivan Learns to Draw.gif