Saturday May 30 at 10Bit

Skip to the first unread message

Don Smeller

31 May 2015, 05:04:5131/05/2015
to 10BitWorks, Peggy Guillory, Zane Lewis, barbara fuchs
The air conditioner at 10BitWorks in the main room was not working. But it rained off and on all day so the temperature was bearable with fans.
The dirtiest air filter in history had been removed and replaced on Tuesday. We thought it might be OK, maybe? when we met on Wednesday, but it was definitely dead kaput on Saturday.
Landlord Zane? Por favor.

Meanwhile the A.C. in the studio did its job.
GnuDon Davis held the first session of the summer camp in the studio (total 4, Sat,Sun, May 30,31, Sat,Sun Jun 6,7) teaching Raspberry Pi Programming.
He was too busy to take a count but afterwards he estimated 15 students. Most were high schoolers but at least two adults, James M and Brian B, took the class.
Ken Runner played some sort of helper role in the class. Hot melt glue was involved.
Ken’s daughter Adrianna attended too. She was reading Tennessee Williams’ “Glass Menagerie" while waiting for the class to start.
Would someone please pass the clipboard during Sunday’s session???

Peggy water-colored a commissioned Christmas Card.
Don S oil-painted hands and beard onto his ripoff of Zorn’s “The Violinist”.
The Zorn is 100% covered with paint now but it needs a couple more Saturdays for touch ups.
Peggy needs to eat gluten-free. She has trained all the Whataburger employees on the culinary art of making a lettuce wrap chicken sandwich.
We have an education mission, right?

Andres and Maria and Brian Quinones and Ray Good put in long hours on building the robotics club 3D Printer.
The challenge Saturday was to redesign and reprint the brackets that hold the X and Y stop switches. Different switches require different brackets.
In a sort of competition Andres pulled Ray’s STL file of the bracket into OpenSCAD and made the modification, meanwhile Don S taught Brian how to do the same using SketchUp.
Both succeeded and the resultant designs were successfully printed. One was done on the Grandfather 10BitWorks printer, the other on Ray’s Child printer.
We all got a lesson from Ray in the use of the latest version of Slic3r.
Slic3r now has some way-cool graphics enabling the user to visualize and make changes to optional support material, ahead of exporting the g-code.

Ken Runner showed off a robust clamp that he’d designed and printed on his fledgeling first-in-class Grandchild printer.
Strong. Very Good Print Quality. Attaboys to Ken R.
The clamp(s), he’ll need 4, will hold a reel rack.
People often ask, what will you use a 3D printer for?
The stock answer is, no fears, the 3D Printer IS the project.

Matt Grooms and Randy Ohman and Greg Bluntzer all came through the space at different times Saturday between rain storms.
I didn’t discern what any of them was up to.
But Matt was modeling the latest summer fashion, a black T-Shirt with orange 10BitWorks vinyl appliqué created by Katie.
Katie, if you’re taking orders, I gotta have one of those, Size XL.

Harold Bloom arrived by way of a shiny VIA bus and still shinier cherry red electric 3 wheel scooter.
He repaired a wheel bearing on that scooter 2 months ago. Recently he’s souped it up with better tires.
Harold only comes once a month. He calls himself our quarter member. But he says he’s fixin to up his game to half time.

This month Harold sat down with Cliff and helped with assembling the ever-evolving one-armed-motorized-fishing-reel-with-cargo-pants-pocket-battery-pack.
James and Joe last week added aluminum toothed pulleys to the crank and motor shafts. They improvised the beginnings of a toothed belt.
Don S Saturday laser cut Plan B for the reel-to-motor adapter frame.
The first attempt at the frame was acrylic but it was way too notch sensitive and was on the verge of cracking and breaking.
The second attempt is plywood. It now has appropriate blend radii and a wider gap for the clamping action. It’s holding just fine, now.
Some solder repair was needed. I’m not sure who did that for Cliff but it is pretty cool that we’ve got an army of competent solder technicians nowadays.
For the first time the motor was truly tested. Turns out, the motor is not strong enough to trip the bail from every starting position.
Cliff left Saturday on-the-hunt for a higher torque motor.
Ray helped by showing Cliff some motor vendors, on-line. A geared motor may be next.

Lots of moms did the pick-up-and-drop-off thing Saturday and got to take a few minutes to look around 10BitWorks.
A woman named Joy was really intrigued. They’ll all be back.
We each need to do our best to welcome the first timers, eh?

Don S

Don Davis

31 May 2015, 06:59:4731/05/2015
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
There were a lot of adults.
There were at least 9 adults - Rod "the Bod" [apparently], Ted, Ryan,
Jenna, Michelle, long time favorite Randy O., Vincent (who'll be using
OpenCV to pour Gersten Saft), Grimey, and James.

Youngsters - one who taught everyone scratch, Ken's daughter, and five
others. [Names removed to protect the innocent.]

At least 16 participants. It's a little short of the registered 22 - but
that's fine given space limitations.

> A woman named Joy was really intrigued. They’ll all be back.
> We each need to do our best to welcome the first timers, eh?

Good point. Thank you guys.

I want big 10bit stickers. ?

Don Smeller

31 May 2015, 12:02:5831/05/2015
to 10BitWorks
Would someone please translate the line below.

Chris Hardee

31 May 2015, 12:05:2331/05/2015
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
A person will be using an open source computer vision library to, presumably, program some sort of robotic apparatus to pour beer

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace