SXSW Eco open source water tech workshop.

Ryan Beltran

Apr 21, 2015, 4:13:15 PM4/21/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone. I'm new to the group and want to become a member after stopping by on a few recent meetings. I will be in Tomorrow(Wednesday) and I am looking to work on and tweak a water purification system which I want to bring into an open source platform via makerspaces and Universities around the globe starting with North/Central/South America.

I'm making it a personal goal to run a workshop at SXSW Eco (October 5-7th) and to have the schematics and parts available and open so our team can build a water system live with the audience. I see this post as a ping to see who is interested in the sustainable realm and might want to help me realize this goal for a workshop event. I have to apply for the panel by May 1st so I'll be working on that for the next couple of weeks.

Here is a concept video for what I'm doing and how I'll also be making a documentary series revolving around our move to open source. https://youtu.be/avex4Labesw
(Please do not share as it's still a draft/concept video and not ready to be spread out.)

-Ryan

Don Smeller

Apr 21, 2015, 9:06:17 PM4/21/15
to 10BitWorks
Ryan, I’m in.  I’ve designed a few water related products in my 50 year career, everything from nuclear steam generators to irrigation drip emitters to yet more ways to put coke in your cup.    Let’s talk on Wednesday.
Don Smeller

Ryan Beltran

Apr 22, 2015, 9:50:02 AM4/22/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Don thats awesome I can't wait to hear more about your experience in the water field! And I would like to bring in our table top demo so you can see our system in action. Here is an animated gif I made of a time lapse of the process. We made a clear reactor so you can see it coagulate. The process is electrocoagulation. http://imgur.com/nZ8DyaM

I dropped by the space yesterday and signed up as a paying member and am excited to come by more often. I actually have a conflict today and will not be able to come in. Will you be around Saturday? I want to take my cousin who is in 5th grade and loves computers and tinkering. I live just 3 blocks away so it's really easy to drop in if there is another time this week you'll be at the space.

-Ryan