Do-ocracy Wednesday

Don Smeller

Mar 26, 2015, 7:27:49 AM3/26/15
to 10BitWorks, Peggy Guillory
Wednesday afternoon, Don S went to his personal tax accountant, Hal Holtman, who gave out with some free, rapid-fire tips for documenting the doings of a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization. Pay attention:
1. Our overall documentation strategy should be to leave a findable trail, that the IRS can audit, that proves that we,10BitWorks, have been pursuing our Non Profit mission.
Snippets of proof residing on 10 different, ever-changing, geeks’ computers, and/or social media doesn’t get the job done.
We should set up a central documentation repository.  It is suggested that the Accountants’ computer system be the repository.  CPA’s are good at documentation.
The job of the Secretary, the job of the Treasurer, these should feed the repository.
Things like classes, events like the Witte, career day, fund raisers, . . . these should be spelled out, with names, dates, places, quantities, where possible.
2. We will need to file a Texas Tax Statement and a Federal 990 by May 15.  Vicki Schumann, a CPA who works for Holtman, will do this task for us after the April 15 craziness is past.  She will need our records.

James V. and Katie completed the banner for Siclovia.
Siclovia runs from 11 AM to 4 PM this Sunday, Mar 29.  Roosevelt will be blocked off.  If you plan to come to 10Bit by car, plan on arriving from the south using the Fair Av exit off the 281 and working your way north on S Presa and then west on McKinley.  We will be giving tours, dispensing air for bicycle tires.

James M fired up the furnace and melted a lot of aluminum and had a good time on the sidewalk on a very pleasant evening. Results: meh.

Jeremy appeared.  He emptied the tip jar: $258.03.   He emptied the soda vending machine: $162.00. He reported: as of now, finally, the soda machine is paid for and future soda purchases will profit the space.  Consider getting just a sandwich the next time you order something at Whataberger, forget the fries, and buy your soda at 10Bit.

Sacha tore into the station where the heat press, printer, vinyl cutter, etc will reside.  The computers migrated somewhere else.  A lot of crap landed in the lost and found.  Please look it over.

Greg and Stevanie, the girl next door, and Matt, her mine-crafted brother, the 3 of them, wallowed around in the flotsam that Sacha stirred up.  There seems to be a Unistrut (brand) geodesic dome in there, an RC car, stuff worth having, unclaimed.

Randy brought in a sample of the chairs he’s trying to give us.

Joe popped in to hang out and read e-mail.

I made contact with Victoria Garcia, the president of the Roosevelt Park Neighborhood Association (RPNA). (Thanks, Sacha, for her contact info.)
Here’s the deal:  We / I / Sacha have volunteered 10Bit’s facility to host the RPNA on April 8.  (That’s a Do-ocracy Wednesday, BTW)  Originally the schedule was for a start-time of 6:30.  Victoria has requested that the start be moved up to 5:45.  Why?  At 6:00 sharp she will introduce 2 candidates for mayor who will speak and then dash off to other engagements later in the evening.  I said yes.  We will then have a captive crowd of our neighbors there to tell our story to.  Please put this on your calendars.  All sorts of good things might come from it.

There is going to be an election of officers of 10BitWorks during our next meeting which is scheduled for Sat Mar 28 at 12:30.  We are formulating a slate now.  If you’ve got aspirations, or thoughts of retirement, let me know.  Jeremy is stepping down from Pres.  The treasurer spot has been open for a while. The positions are 5: President, Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary. I would add a 6th, unofficial position: Web-master.   Do come to the meeting.  Do step up.
Chris arrived by truck, not bicycle. Yay Chris.  He told about how his mother, Ann Hardee, a DJ for KSYM 90.1, is starting a new radio series on sexuality.  It aired at that very  moment, 10 PM, Wed, so I listened to it on the drive home,  In between platters, I learned, for instance, that 23 women recently went to a back room of a sex toy boutique place here in San Antonio and attended a class on how to give a blow job.

Let’s see the mayoral candidates top that.

Don S