Do-Ocracy Wednesday at 10BitWorks

Don Smeller

Apr 30, 2015, 7:42:21 AM4/30/15
to 10BitWorks, Elliot Friedlander, Christopher Ochoa, Isabella Elelu, Ryan Beltran, Sasha Kelly, Sean Kelly, Tom Skalski, Don Smeller, Bob Robinson, Jonathan Villarreal, Dustin Alandzes
This e-mail is being cc’d to the people who attended the Beginners SketchUp Class on Wednesday, Apr 29.

Each Wednesday and Saturday I write a little report / blog on the doings at the maker space.  If you would like to continue to receive these missives, please sign up for the 10BitWorks Google e-mail group.

In addition to the SketchUp 12, there were 7 others (total 19) who trooped through the 10BitWorks on Wednesday.
Matt G, Jeremy Z, Mike G, Greg B, Sacha D, James M, Joey L

Thanks Jeremy for setting up the tables and deploying the power strips.  Thanks Joey for photographing the event.  Thanks Bob R for teaching the PC people and for donating two new folding tables to the space.  And I’ll pat myself on the back for donating a bunch of power strips and extension cords.  Let’s use the lockers by the front door for storing them.

BTW, that’s the way it works in a Do-Ocracy.  10BitWorks is not a democracy, we are a do-ocracy.  We don’t spend a lot of time getting everyone to agree on anything. (Herding cats comes to mind.) Instead, the person who paints the shed is the one who decides what color it will be, and more than likely, he or she is also the one who makes the Home Depot run and also the one who pays for it.

We divided the goats from the sheep and put the PC folk in one classroom and the MAC crowd in another.
The Facebook signup page had us preparing for a crowd of 37 “are coming’s” and 16 “maybe’s”.  12 attended including the 2 teachers.  There’s a lesson in there somewhere. That may or may not be a typical ratio. But please note that I don’t qualify the 12 as “only” 12.  I have a really good feeling that those 12 were the right 12.  The attentiveness and motivation was awesome.

Everyone should have downloaded the latest version of
SketchUp Make
SketchUp to STL extension

Now for the follow-up class:
I want to integrate the CC’ed people into 3D Tuesday, so on Tuesday May 19, at 6:30, there will be a combination class

 Advanced SketchUp and Beginners 3D Printing

In preparation for the class, please:
1. Download
A. Slic3r (accept the default settings)
B. PronterFace
2. Design something using SketchUp
A. limit the part’s volume to “smaller than a golf ball”
i. suggest fiesta medal
ii. suggest name plate
iii. suggest knob for drawer-pull,
iv. suggest 25mm x 20mm x 15mm calibration test block with 8mm hole.
B. If you have SketchUp trouble, contact either Don or Bob.  The class handout sheet has our contact info.
3. Buy yourself some calipers and bring with
A. Harbor Freight has electronic calipers for $10 to $15
B. Harbor Freight has cheap plastic calipers for $3.  (good enough to bang around in a backpack)

10BitWorks has two 3D Printers.  We’re going to need more printers for the May 19 class.  So this is a call for 3D printers and the people who run them.  You know who you are: James M, Ray G, Charles S, Fredrik S, Bob R. . .  You guys please plan on schlepping your 3D Printers to the space and teaching newbies the how to’s of 3D printing.  Plan on covering:
1. Slic3r settings and config files
2. Exporting g-code
4. Adhering to the bed
5. Leveling
6. Frequent problems

Ray Good, do you suppose you can get the 2 Kens’s 3D printers fully cloned and up and working by May 19? That would be so cool.
Joey, would you please “scrape” this e-mail, do your media thing, and put out the word for the class on the 19th?  The class is free but as always, the tip jar beckons.  Tell people to bring questions and problems with SketchUp to the class.    I will cover the advanced how-to’s of turning a jpeg  into an appropriately scaled 3D object.  And we’ll print it.  That’s our building modeled on top of a Google satellite image.

Don S

Ryan Beltrán

May 1, 2015, 12:22:17 PM5/1/15
to Don Smeller, 10BitWorks, Greg Meyer, Christopher Ochoa, Isabella Elelu, Sasha Kelly, Sean Kelly, Tom Skalski, Bob Robinson, Jonathan Villarreal, Dustin Alandzes
Thanks very much for the class! I look forward to learning more and helping out anyway I can with the next event.

-Ryan
<smile.jpeg><HappyFace.png><Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 6.31.55 AM.png>

Don S

Charles Strang

May 4, 2015, 2:18:40 PM5/4/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ryan Beltran
I will plan to be there with my two printer.

Charles S.

Don S