fundraiser for new table saw

Ken Runner

Feb 9, 2017, 1:33:52 PM2/9/17
to 10BitWorks
We need a new table saw at the space.  The old saw has many issues and it's become too much of a liability to keep using.  We were thinking of purchasing a saw stop like the one in the link below.  It's a job site model that can collapse down and be moved easily.

What do you think?

Chris Hardee

Feb 9, 2017, 1:50:01 PM2/9/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ken Runner
That looks good and I support this 100% even though I'm broke, I worry about that model having stability issues though.

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Mikel Duke

Joseph Lopez

Feb 9, 2017, 2:08:19 PM2/9/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mikel Duke
I am on board for having a sawstop version of table saw as I believe it will help with safety.

That particular model seems to make sense for the space given, granted, maybe we should look into flat out making a space in the wood work/fabrication area for a more permanent one.

As for funds I pay my dues, I am happy to chip in a little extra.  I am also willing to meet up and help you all put together a kickstarter or equivalent fundraiser together.

Myself and the convergent media collective along with the board at the time raised almost 13K for the laser cutter you all have.

Basically what it takes to have funds raised like this is some innovative rewards, a marketing and PR campaign and some time commitment by a sub committee to make sure it is all followed through on.

If interested in having me help just give me a call at 512-413-7832

joey
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sa-hackerspac...@googlegroups.com.

Tookys

Feb 9, 2017, 4:32:11 PM2/9/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of dayojtl333@gmail.com
I'll put $250 towards it.

john vanhoozer

Feb 14, 2017, 11:47:43 AM2/14/17
to 10BitWorks

Ken, Don, folks

I've been thinking a lot about this and some people are not going to agree. However...

One of the things that I like about 10bit and makerspaces in general is that the idea is to be able to not only network with people, but to have access to tools that you might not be able to have at home.  Like a real table saw.

The primary concern that brought this up was an accident.  So that is a safety issue which we can greatly reduce the likelihood of a re-occurrence of through training, but never totally eliminate.  A sawstop is the best choice for almost completely reducing the chances of another accident.  Hell, if the thing is going to be put in a closet and trotted out when needed, then there's a good chance that someone is going to wrench their back or tip it over on someones foot... or a hundred other things.  So it will never totally eliminate injury, especially if it's being trundled around.

But if we were to get another saw, I'd want it to be at least something that doesn't trade utility for safety.

A good saw would have
  • a larger table (especially the outfeed) than the jobsite saws
  • A sturdier and more accurate fence than the jobsite saws.  I'll give that almost any fence on a modern saw is better than what we have now.  And the newer fences (and properly installed guards) can reduce the chances of kick back, which according to James, was the real culprit in his accident.
  • A really good miter guage (again, what we have is A) not that great, and 2) NEVER NEAR THE SAW.  Sorry, pet peeve about finding tools around here.
  • extensibility - maybe we don't need a 30" extension table now, but what about in the future?

A step up to the contractor saw would at least give us comparable usage with increased safety if we went with the saw stop.  But if we were to go with another, non-sawstop type of machine, we'd still be safer.

Especially if we were to step up and create a training regimen and maybe a certification program.

Just my $.0002 cents

Tookys

Feb 14, 2017, 12:49:45 PM2/14/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of john vanhoozer
Me and Ken went the other day to WoodCraft on the Northside.

They have all 4 models up for display.

Since then we've been thinking about getting the contractor saw.

The jobsite saw admittedly, is not stable, as it wobbles easily. And is really meant for more small work than what we normally do.

We think the contractor saw would be a better choice. But it does increase the price from $1500 to $2000.

Here is a link to the build were looking at getting.

-> http://www.sawstop.com/table-saws/by-model/contractor-saw#build-price/contractor-saw_TGP36_MB-CNS-000_CNS-07-148/contractor-saw_TGP36_MB-CNS-000_CNS-07-148

Tookys

Feb 14, 2017, 1:26:54 PM2/14/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of tookys3
So for anybody wanting to contribute to the fund raiser.

We currently have 4 people contributing a total of $1000. That means we are half way to our $2000 goal.

If you want to contribute let us know the dollar amount.

If you want to do so privately. Message me at james....@10bitworks.org

Anything helps.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/gg005hw0vn7523tbahdn3l72.1487094467840%40email.android.com.

john vanhoozer

Feb 14, 2017, 4:28:25 PM2/14/17
to 10BitWorks
I should be there tomorrow night and will contribute.  I think the contractor saw is a *much* better idea.

Tookys

Feb 15, 2017, 8:25:59 PM2/15/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of john vanhoozer
We are up to $1500 of the $2000 we need.

Thanks to the contribution's of 6 individuals.

Let see if we can get this wrapped up this week.

If you want to contribute let us know the amount you wish to pledge.

(We won't start collecting the funds until after we reach our pledge goal)

john vanhoozer via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQfjxPZWSP-pS...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/c9ea7586-3b8f-4cf4-8326-bb3a9537b3ce%40googlegroups.com.

john vanhoozer

Tookys

Feb 19, 2017, 11:17:01 AM2/19/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of john vanhoozer
We are still sitting at $300 short of our $2000 goal for the new safety table saw.

http://www.sawstop.com/table-saws/by-model/contractor-saw#build-price/contractor-saw_TGP36_MB-CNS-000_CNS-07-148/contractor-saw_TGP36_MB-CNS-000_CNS-07-148

We just need another $300 in pledges to bring this to a close and start collecting the funds.

If you want to contribute just let us know the dollar amount you wish to contribute.

john vanhoozer via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQfjxPZWSP-pS...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/87eebd8d-e7d0-44ac-9217-4602fff4eeeb%40googlegroups.com.

Peggy Guillory

John McClenny

Feb 20, 2017, 1:03:37 PM2/20/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of pguillory424
I can do $200.

John McClenny

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:23 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of pguillory424 <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I can pledge $100.00.
Peggy

john vanhoozer via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQfjxPZWSP-pSRk21jFEzuogDYmOH8ipIzGqE66tcBJ...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I can contribute $200.

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:25:59 PM UTC-6, tookys3 wrote:
We are up to $1500 of the $2000 we need.

Thanks to the contribution's of 6 individuals.

Let see if we can get this wrapped up this week.

If you want to contribute let us know the amount you wish to pledge.

(We won't start collecting the funds until after we reach our pledge goal)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/87eebd8d-e7d0-44ac-9217-4602fff4eeeb%40googlegroups.com.

Sacha De'Angeli

Mar 27, 2017, 5:27:25 PM3/27/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of jamcclenny
Hi guys, sorry for being so late to the game - table saw access is 50% of why I'm a 10bit member (and I just built a DIY table saw that is better than the old craftsman saw).

Access to a sawstop table saw would be great! I've been lucky enough to use a sawstop in the past, and they're great!

What's the status of this project? Still looking for donors?

Sacha De'Angeli

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of jamcclenny <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I can do $200.

John McClenny
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/87eebd8d-e7d0-44ac-9217-4602fff4eeeb%40googlegroups.com.

Chris Hardee

Mar 27, 2017, 5:28:44 PM3/27/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Sacha De'Angeli
It's fully armed and operational at 10bit :)

Sacha De'Angeli

Sacha De'Angeli

Mar 27, 2017, 5:54:41 PM3/27/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee
Hmm, well I suppose I'll mosey on over in a few hours to go admire the new shiny toy.

Many thanks to the wonderful people who made this happen! Now the guessing game begins - who will be the first person to trigger the sawstop sensor?

A word of caution since we also have laser cutters:
laser cut wood WILL trigger the saw stop - carbonized wood is a "good enough" conductor

A lesson from the PS1 hackerspace in Chicago: turn off the SawStop safety sensor when cutting wood that has seen the insides of a laser cutter.

Other things that will trigger the safety sensor:
  • Any mirrored or shiny fancy finish on acrlic (often contains aluminum flakes or thin metal coating)
  • Mylar coatings (contains aluminum)
  • Aluminum (duh)

Sacha De'Angeli

--