Steampunk Spooler by Les

Les Hall

Apr 5, 2015, 7:13:04 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks, Dory, Mom

The image above shows the Steampunk Spooler I’ve been designing and printing.  It features real working gears made with the OpenSCAD involute_gear library and some simple design elements.  Yet to do are replace the top axle with a giant bolt to better affix it to the spool for proper rotation without slippage and create a secondary base component to improve lateral stability and permit the use of rubber footies for holding assembly in place.

Once those two changes are made it will be ready for prime time and I will open source the design plus offer printing of it for a reasonable price. (Will work for filament as before).

Mechanical Engineers among us:  isn’t this way better than just resting the spool on bare skateboard bearings (there are eight skateboard bearings in this design, two per lower gear).  Plus it’s way stylin’!

I plan to add pistons that move and stuff like that in time as the design slowly evolves into a monstrosity but this is the basic form for now.  Could put a 10bit logo on the top axle for effect too!

Les

Randy Ohman

Apr 5, 2015, 8:18:09 PM4/5/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to more photos!

Les Hall

Apr 5, 2015, 8:27:34 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks

Here are separate photos of the carriage and the spool.  Note that I have since solved the print defects issue which was due to inexact temperature setting (too cold).  Some gears are in different colors and green was used simply because I am running out of filament.  In “for sale" design metallic powder infused filament would be used to give that real metal look.

Les

On Apr 5, 2015, at 7:18 PM, Randy Ohman via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQdqPUlJoE3XM...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Looking forward to more photos!

Les Hall

Apr 5, 2015, 8:29:29 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks
here is the spool, not sure why it didn’t get sent…

Les

On Apr 5, 2015, at 7:27 PM, Les Hall <things...@icloud.com> wrote:

<Carriage.JPG>

kc koellein

Apr 5, 2015, 10:31:56 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of thingsofrings
Hey! Who doesn't love GEARS?

Very nice!

kc
K9SPY

--

kc
K9SPY

"The Undisputed National Champions (Ohio State) lost to Virginia Tech, who lost to Temple, who lost to Houston, who lost to … UTSA. Congratulations to the Roadrunners on a historic season!” - Gregory Buschmann