Time Warner Cable - Who is on the account for the 10Bit connection?

James Vaello

Mar 27, 2015, 12:29:40 PM3/27/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
As most of you know, our internet connection at the space is not the most robust. I figure that it's the router that is in place, as if you reset it, the connection gets better for a while. Does anyone know who is on the account at TW for our internet connection? I would volunteer to be here on a Friday to meet with a service tech to get the issues resolved if someone could help me with a contact.

Thanks,
James

Chris Hardee

Mar 27, 2015, 12:41:08 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of James Vaello
The Time Warner account was connected to mine but we switched it over two years ago. I'll check out an account # when I get to the space next, but if someone knows it off hand I can get it setup.

One of the original issues we had was when our wifi router went out. We now have a replacement router, so we're not forced to use theirs.

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Donald Greer

Mar 27, 2015, 1:03:40 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee

​This seems like something that should be in a protected part of the Wiki, along with all other "business" info.

Just a thought.

Don

Josh Snyder

Mar 27, 2015, 4:03:23 PM3/27/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Is the router/AP still an issue? I work for a wireless equipment
manufacturer and I could easily get some of our used prototype equipment
brought into the Space. I think I have a few of our new 802.11ac AP's I
could get "donated".

Josh

On 3/27/2015 11:41 AM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee wrote:
> The Time Warner account was connected to mine but we switched it over
> two years ago. I'll check out an account # when I get to the space next,
> but if someone knows it off hand I can get it setup.
>
> One of the original issues we had was when our wifi router went out. We
> now have a replacement router, so we're not forced to use theirs.
>

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:29 AM, James Vaello via 10BitWorks
> <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQciOIppeBsLN...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:sa-hackerspace+APn2wQciOIppeBsLN...@googlegroups.com>>
> wrote:
>
> As most of you know, our internet connection at the space is not the
> most robust. I figure that it's the router that is in place, as if
> you reset it, the connection gets better for a while. Does anyone
> know who is on the account at TW for our internet connection? I
> would volunteer to be here on a Friday to meet with a service tech
> to get the issues resolved if someone could help me with a contact.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> --
>

> --
> Chris Hardee
> 10BitWorks
> San Antonio Hackerspace
> 10bit...@gmail.com <mailto:10bit...@gmail.com>
> http://10bitworks.com/
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/CAKeDzS9T2vBWqLqWQieYvCM7zL6xjX1KuaJM-OfX0v_6BZkzxg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/CAKeDzS9T2vBWqLqWQieYvCM7zL6xjX1KuaJM-OfX0v_6BZkzxg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> *E.F.A. Project* <http://www.efa-project.org>, and is believed to be clean.
> Click here to report this message as spam.
> <http://filter-new.imagestream.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=0DCCB62148.A06CD&token=271b35d4b665c5c05b9c2f3666243d45>

Matt Grooms @ Gmail

Mar 27, 2015, 9:15:24 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Joshua Snyder
Equipment donated by your company sounds like more fun than whatever we get from TWC (even if the current gear turns out not to be broken).

Eventually the TWC high(er) speed service will reach our neighborhood, requiring a replacement modem, and promissing greater speed. Would be nice to have our in-house network up to the task (AC) before that day comes.

Matt G
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sa-hackerspac...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/55158DB5.1080507%40imagestream.com.

bigjonroberts

Mar 28, 2015, 9:14:03 PM3/28/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
I have a Motorola Surfboard SB6180. When the Maxx service upgrades roll out later this summer I'll need to upgrade. I'll check with the Mrs. if we can donate the SB6180 to 10bitworks.

- Jon

Jeremy Z

Apr 2, 2015, 1:28:17 PM4/2/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of bigjonroberts
Well I got the cable modem swapped out. I had to do some break dancing, answer 12 trivia questions related to Patrick Stewart's early career, and drop a few F-bombs and a slew of other assorted colorful language normally associated with sailors and people with Tourette syndrome. Ok, just kidding, it was really quick & easy and just took a drive to a nearby TWC office.

I've setup a temporary WRT54GL with the Tomato OS, but those WRT54GL's are really slow relative to modern technology. So if anyone has a nice modern wireless router they'd like to donate, please do! Don, your website/server will be down until Chris reconfigures the new equipment for your RPi (I don't know the details or I'd do it). AP name and key are the same so wireless connectivity should be transparent, i.e. no changes should be needed on laptops, etc.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 8:14 PM, bigjonroberts via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQeE3Fn1ZQqP5...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I have a Motorola Surfboard SB6180. When the Maxx service upgrades roll out later this summer I'll need to upgrade. I'll check with the Mrs. if we can donate the SB6180 to 10bitworks.

- Jon

Mike Garis

Apr 2, 2015, 2:27:43 PM4/2/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
One other thing would be does anyone have a cable modem they would like to donate?

Or should we look at purchasing one for the space, since I am assuming we are currently paying a rental fee to Time Warner for the current one. I know many of them also have Wi-Fi capabilities...

- Mike G.

Jeremy Z

Apr 2, 2015, 2:32:18 PM4/2/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mike Garis
The modem fee is $8/mo. It'd need to be DOCSIS 3.0 as they're going to be upgrading the speed in our area pretty soon. The Ubee modem that I took back was one of those wireless integrated jobs and it sucked big time.

tookys3

Apr 5, 2015, 7:32:42 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks
My internet was recently upgraded and our modem was merged with our router, meaning our old router is no longer needed.

Its a netgear n600 wireless dual band gigabit router.

Needs to be reset to factory defaults but should do us well if yall want it i can bring it by saturday.

Matt Grooms

Apr 18, 2015, 10:50:25 AM4/18/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
James, did you bring the router to the space? Available still? Coming to the space today?

I'm donating a laser printer/scanner/copier, but it's not network-ready (Centronix / USB only). If your N600 router includes printer server capability via the USB port, we might be able to make the printer available to all, instead of just connecting it directly to the laser cutter PC.

If you're already at the space, I could swing by your house if someone is available to hand it out the front door.

Matt

On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 6:32:42 PM UTC-5, tookys3 wrote:
[...]

Randy Ohman

Oct 12, 2015, 12:21:51 AM10/12/15
to 10BitWorks
I don't know if you've been down lately...me neither. I see that the printer is perilously near the front door on the floor. Not sure why.

On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 9:50:25 AM UTC-5, Matt Grooms wrote:
I'm donating a laser printer/scanner/copier, but it's not network-ready (Centronix / USB only).
Matt

Matt Grooms

Oct 12, 2015, 12:48:16 AM10/12/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Thanks Randy, I noticed that last Tuesday… took a moment to function test that printer….. still in fine shape. Please don’t toss it out. I plan on moving it into the network rack (need to throw out some of the unused Cisco junk to make room) and set it up as a second Google Cloud Printer (off a Raspberry Pi). FYI Ken Runner’s donated HP WiFi printer also serves as a Google Cloud printer (for anyone using their 10bitworks.org Google for Nonprofits account.

Matt