ESP8266

Mikel Duke

Sep 1, 2016, 11:27:28 PM9/1/16
to 10BitWorks
I made a video to show the size of some of the ESP8266 dev boards. They are pretty cool. You can program them like an Arduino, but they have built in WiFi.

One is pretty big, even though it has the same feature set as the rest. I would avoid the Lolin and go with anything else. I hear the Wemos are good and cheap, but don't have one yet.

The Huzzah has been the most reliable, but they are $10 or more after shipping depending on where you get them from, while the NodeMCU and Lolin are $5-9.

Jeremy Z

Sep 2, 2016, 2:50:29 AM9/2/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mikel Duke
Cool video Mikel, thanks for sharing. I've been designing/working on a project for turntablists that uses the ESP8266 (specifically the Adafruit ESP-12E). I recently finished bringing up the first PCB and getting all the peripheral devices working. Here's a little video (potato quality) showing the LEDs, potentiometer, and to a lesser extent the speaker working (the ESP is soldered to the bottom side of the PCB).

As for ESP dev boards I've tried/used the Olimex ESP8266-EVB and the Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing - Dev Board. I like them both the Olimex has a huge amount of memory and pads for an SMT u.FL connector (works well, can buy them from mouser), and is pretty small, is cheap and available on amazon prime :). The Sparkfun board is nice because it integrates an FTDI USB<>UART and comes with a populated u.FL connector all of which make it really easy to use.

-Jeremy

Les Hall

Sep 2, 2016, 4:00:24 AM9/2/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks
e-NABLE phone home hand with Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 board doing usage monitoring and later (major) features of augmentation.  It's a design done mainly by myself with help from others.  We are planning to design in a collection of protocols, mainly using Adafruit's Feather family.

Les

Phone Home Prototype Nearly Complete - 1.jpg

Mikel Duke

Sep 2, 2016, 4:33:57 PM9/2/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall
I looked at the Thing board before, and I like the built in LiPo charger on the non-dev version. That would be pretty convenient. I have just been going with USB power for now. The Olimex board looks neat too, I like the built in relay.

I just ordered an Itead Sonoff wifi relay controller. It's supposed to be just a ESP8266 with AC relay in a small package, and for about $6 it's cheaper than building my own. I saw a couple replacement firmwares, so it should be pretty hackable.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Mikel Duke via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQcff6i24HRLrG9rbiX1oEkuR58q7dDHnI_XeeOe...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I made a video to show the size of some of the ESP8266 dev boards. They are pretty cool. You can program them like an Arduino, but they have built in WiFi.

One is pretty big, even though it has the same feature set as the rest. I would avoid the Lolin and go with anything else. I hear the Wemos are good and cheap, but don't have one yet.

The Huzzah has been the most reliable, but they are $10 or more after shipping depending on where you get them from, while the NodeMCU and Lolin are $5-9.

Les Hall

Sep 2, 2016, 9:14:58 PM9/2/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mikel Duke
The Chinese boards are OK for the ESP8266 since the chip was created in China.  What I don't like is people buying discount UNO boards and the like saying "they are open source so it's OK".  Actually to my knowledge the chip is not open source.  The ESP8266 shocked the world and is great in any form IMHO.

Don't forget to check the Adafruit Feather solution to see if that meets your requirements.  A made in USA solution is going to be more expensive naturally, and what you get for that is made in USA kudos plus all that software and project support and forum help.

IMHO if you do buy overseas, then don't ever complain about outsourcing jobs to other countries.

Les

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 3:33 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Mikel Duke <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I looked at the Thing board before, and I like the built in LiPo charger on the non-dev version. That would be pretty convenient. I have just been going with USB power for now. The Olimex board looks neat too, I like the built in relay.

I just ordered an Itead Sonoff wifi relay controller. It's supposed to be just a ESP8266 with AC relay in a small package, and for about $6 it's cheaper than building my own. I saw a couple replacement firmwares, so it should be pretty hackable.

Matt Grooms

Sep 4, 2016, 12:26:51 PM9/4/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mikel Duke

Sonoff WiFi switches –

Eric Maycock wrote this replacement firmware . Provides a web interface, OTA firmware update for future firmware releases, a SmartThings device handler, and a SmartThings Service Manager SmartApp.  Thusly modified, it is fully supported within the SmartThings ecosystem, or via the web interface . The original cloud-based control via iPhone/Android app, of course, is no longer present (Yeah!).

The initial re-flash must be done with a FDTI cable using the ESPEasy firmware flashing tool, but after that you can use the /UPDATE page of the web management interface.

I know this is a bit simplistic for the smart kids in the room (Jeremy, Les, Mikel), but it’s just the right speed for me.

Matt G

Les Hall

Sep 4, 2016, 1:10:34 PM9/4/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Dang, that sound bad-ass, I'll have to check some of those links.  For the sub-genii among us (have to mention Bob Dobbs when you say genius), OTA stands for Over The Air and what it means is that once you program your ESP8266 device using the cable, all future updates can be programmed via the device's WiFi capability - no wires required!

That feature alone makes this worth looking into!

Les

Thomas Tweeks Weeks

Sep 9, 2016, 1:01:32 AM9/9/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms, 10BitWorks on behalf of Mikel Duke

You Matt!

You played much with these yet? So this sounds cool.. but how do you connect to configure the IP settings if it doesn't have an IP yet? Does it attempt random DHCP?  Rely on APIPA (169.254) addressing?

Also.. is this just willy nilly OTA updates, or can you restrict to client+server certs?

Tweeks

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/03b201d206c9%24240c8880%246c259980%24%40gmail.com.

Matt Grooms

Sep 9, 2016, 1:31:34 AM9/9/16
to 10BitWorks

Tweeks!

I don’t have any yet.

After the initial FTDI cable wired re-flash they pop up as access points. You connect, plug in the particulars of the  wireless network you want them to join, then they appear there. All follow a standard auto-naming convention with each’s MAC address a part of that name.

The author says the firmware is pretty mature, and not to expect many updates in the future. That said, if/when he makes some changes, they can be applied via the /update page of the web management interface. To do so, you’ve already logged in via admin user name/passwd, so that’s your security model.

Ad hoc control on/off/status/etc. is via JSON. Or for consumer level control, he has provided complete integration into the Samsung SmartThings ecosystem. That was his primary goal (he seems really deep into writing the necessary bits of glue to integrate random cool hardware into the SmartThings world).

Follow the links in the original post to find a cool five channel LED string controller he gave the same treatment to. Note this controller isn’t for the popular 3-wire, individually addressable RGB strings (5v. ground, data), but rather for old school 12 volt 2-wire, strings of single color dumb LED’s (or similar 12 volt 4-wire, non-addressable RGB strings).

How’s things in Blacksburg? Bet you’re ready for real-fall to make an appearance.

Matt

Thomas Tweeks Weeks

Sep 14, 2016, 10:12:23 PM9/14/16
to 10BitWorks

Good to hear from you Matt!

I'll have to look into this Samsung SmartThings protocol.. I'm just hoping ONE of these IoT vendors is going to get it right.. and make an industry standard and security support SLAs that everyone can use to keep things secure.

Loving Blacksburg.. It was a mild, wet summer.. and things just started cooling off (it actually made it up into the 90s here!! ;) hehe..

Staying Busy with our community "Let's Code Blackburg!" workshops. Last week we had an HTML5/Javascrip coding class.. and this Sat I'm heading up  a very popular Kids-Series I called "Build and Program Your Very Own Sibling Detector Alarm":

www.eventbrite.com/e/27372824856

Using an arduino, 16x2 LCD + 4-key shield, speaker and PIR (motion) sensor.

Here's pics from my last one (check out all my gray hair!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cultureinstigator/albums/72157670220688920

Fun fun..

Keep in touch..

Tweeks

p.s. if anyone is wondering.. XCSSA.org is not down for good.. I'm just having problems with the domain. Whois somehow got hijacked.. even though I won the domain thru 2020.  Trying to get back in (with Gandi), but I've just locked myself out. Will get it fixed ASAP.

(now I'm just cringing waiting for a Craig-Bot pun)

Craig

Sep 14, 2016, 11:32:38 PM9/14/16
to 10BitWorks

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 9:12:23 PM UTC-5, Thomas Tweeks Weeks wrote:

Tweeks

p.s. if anyone is wondering.. XCSSA.org is not down for good.. I'm just having problems with the domain. Whois somehow got hijacked.. even though I won the domain thru 2020.  Trying to get back in (with Gandi), but I've just locked myself out. Will get it fixed ASAP.

(now I'm just cringing waiting for a Craig-Bot pun)

I'll add it to the list of things to post once XCSSA.org is up and going.
Alternatively, could send it to who ever hijacked the domain along with the several hundred back log posts.

Craig