Do-Ocracy Wednesday

Don Smeller

Apr 16, 2015, 7:59:53 AM4/16/15
to 10BitWorks, Peggy Guillory, Bob Robinson
On Do-Ocracy Wednesdays, I’m going to try to write a weekly summary of important stuff swirling around us at 10Bit.

With the school year winding down, Joey Lopez held the finale of his moveable Convergent Media talk series at 10Bit.  It is/was a sort of home grown TED Talk.  I counted 26 people in our main room. There were Joey’s students from Incarnate Word plus a mix of 10Bit regulars and walk-in’s.  Our own Jeremy Zunker spoke on the subject of the making of a hacker (himself), the making of a hacker space (10Bit) and the hacker space movement in general.  Brandon Wiley spoke on the subject of Internet Freedom https://www.patreon.com/brandonwiley, the lack of security in telephones these days and always, and how one solution to the problem is to make an open source Arduino based DIY telephone.

We obtained approval from the landlord to proceed with the proposed ramp.  It will replace the step that stumbles down to the bathroom.  Zane recommended a particular hand-rail system made by the company Kee Klamp. Serendipitously, Kee Klamp provides SketchUpMake 3D models of their components.  I added Kee Klamp flanges to the rails in my own SketchUp animation.   http://smelle.privat-server.net:8080/Smelle/Hall_Google.mp4  It may look OK at first glance, but it will need some input from the company’s tech support. Stay tuned.

Matt G logged several sessions at the space using the laser for his first project.  He put together a display board of laser-cut Fiesta medals for sale.  $2.00 donation in the tip jar.  James M designed and executed a dozen or so 3D Printed medals.  His are at the space too, but they need to be displayed in some fashion similar to Matt’s.  At least one person bought a medal.  Yay Matt.

KC popped in late as the Convergent Media talk was breaking up.  Despite being a major donor during the fund raiser, KC saw his laser investment in action for the very first time Wednesday.  Great seeing you, KC.

Two visitors Wednesday struck me as special.  One was Scott who came to 10Bit originally to attend a meeting of the XCSSA - Exotic Computer Systems of SA.  But the meeting was cancelled.  We gave Scott the consolation nickel tour.  He liked what he saw apparently, and came back for Joey’s event.  Second was Dustin who came to 10Bit during Siclovia and came back for the CM talk.  Dustin comes to San Antonio from Nevada as a student at UTSA.  KC put the moves on him.  Dustin is hooked. There is some kind of lesson to be learned, here.  Events bring people.  Subsequent events bring them back.  We need to keep the event train churning.   BTW, Who is teaching What during May?

In that vein, I see that 34 people are going  and 16 more are interested in the SketchUp Class scheduled for April 29, another Do-Ocracy Wednesday.  We will need loaner laptops for people who may not have them.  MAC or PC, not Linux.  And we will need helper people to look over shoulders, and, well, help.

Ray Good tells of a person who came to the space, Tuesday, looking for laser cutting time.  The notion of payment came up.  Ray did not know what to say exactly.  The reasonable suggestion emerged that a simple sign be posted.  Example attached.  Jeremy?

Lastly, I’m considering a sign on the door posting our hours.  Are we ready to put on our big boy pants and commit to that kind of a contract with the public?  If you say yes, will you be the one who will show up, on time, and unlock the door?

Don S