If we're quick with the draw....

Randy Ohman

May 30, 2017, 9:10:11 AM5/30/17
to 10BitWorks

Craig

May 30, 2017, 10:15:42 PM5/30/17
to 10BitWorks
Suggested first project : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8u1f34cntw

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 8:10:11 AM UTC-5, Randy Ohman wrote:
https://nationofmakers.us/maker-town-hall-microgrants/

Ken Runner

Jun 2, 2017, 5:12:17 PM6/2/17
to 10BitWorks
Yeah, I looked at this.  $500-$1000 for what we do everyday pretty much.  Not worth the hassle of filling out all the paperwork for a chance at getting that amount of money or not.

Craig

Jun 8, 2017, 2:54:27 PM6/8/17
to 10BitWorks

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 4:12:17 PM UTC-5, Ken Runner wrote:
Yeah, I looked at this.  $500-$1000 for what we do everyday pretty much.  Not worth the hassle of filling out all the paperwork for a chance at getting that amount of money or not.
Ah, guess firing off a shot about lassoing funds for ~$400 such as http://makezine.com/2016/10/18/can-hanging-plotter-work-cnc-mill/ wouldn't be something to get wound up over then.

Craug

Ken Runner

Jun 8, 2017, 3:02:57 PM6/8/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Craig
If you're talking about trying to raise funds for building this then sure.  We have a board meeting this Saturday where we could bring it up if you like.

Are you talking about building it and keeping it at the space?
Would 10bit own it?

Thanks,

Ken

Craig

Jun 8, 2017, 4:24:56 PM6/8/17
to 10BitWorks

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 2:02:57 PM UTC-5, Ken Runner wrote:
If you're talking about trying to raise funds for building this then sure.  We have a board meeting this Saturday where we could bring it up if you like.

Are you talking about building it and keeping it at the space?
yes.
Looking into seeing if the router 10bitworks already has can be used.

Would 10bit own it?
yes

Thanks,

Ken

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Craig via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQfVho8FuSVRTr9u6yVATUG9okQL0XgUAeNL6Cx3TPsBy@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 4:12:17 PM UTC-5, Ken Runner wrote:
Yeah, I looked at this.  $500-$1000 for what we do everyday pretty much.  Not worth the hassle of filling out all the paperwork for a chance at getting that amount of money or not.
Ah, guess firing off a shot about lassoing funds for ~$400 such as http://makezine.com/2016/10/18/can-hanging-plotter-work-cnc-mill/ wouldn't be something to get wound up over then.

Craug

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 8:10:11 AM UTC-5, Randy Ohman wrote:
https://nationofmakers.us/maker-town-hall-microgrants/

john vanhoozer

Jun 9, 2017, 12:28:39 PM6/9/17
to 10BitWorks
I don't think that 10bit's router would work.  While the Ryobi or Rigid router has power (2 or 2 1/2 HP if memory serves) and is a very formidable router it is a plunge router.  And again, if memory serves, doesn't decouple from it's router base.   The router I have in the space on-loan (PorterCable brand)  has an interchangeable base for Plunge Routing or static routing, can fit in most router tables, and handles 1/4 and 1/2 inch shanks with interchangable collets.  It's power is lower at either 1 or 1 1/2 HP, and that wouldn't be suitable.

If we were to build a cnc table, which I WHOLEHEARTEDLY ENDORSE, I think that we'd have to look at getting a "spindle" and a good one at that.  It will be like the difference between the old table saw and the new one.  And that, by it self will run almost $300 retail. Conservatively, I'd think that a properly constructed CNC router table, large size, might run $1200-1500. And there are a lot of good resources for how to build one on-line, too.

Having the new SawStop table saw is great. But with a CNC table you can pretty much feed high quality, hardwood (like Cherry, Walnut, Oak) faced plywood in, and get what amounts to an Ikea like pile of parts just waiting to put together at the push of a button.  And you can cut hardwood planks.  And you can cut plastic.  Add a plasma cutter and you can cut metal.

As much as I want one, there are other priorities we need to deal with first.  And I am REALLY glad that people are stepping up on a lot of this projects... Thanks!