Saturday

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 5:00:39 AM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks, Peggy Guillory
Matt Grooms assembled chairs, prepared multiple air-for-bike-tire-fill-stations for Siclovia, erected banners.
Don S hosed the sidewalks, prepared the studio for RPNA event. (Roosevelt Park Neighborhood Association), fixed the 3D printer.
Peggy water-colored, swept, cleaned bathrooms. Peggy is a saint.
Chris spray painted laser-cut-stencil-bicycle-rider decorations on Matt’s rigging, restocked the soda machine.
Jeremy helped on the roof, held his last meeting as president.

The newly elected slate of officers:
President Don Smeller
Chairman Chris Hardee
Vice Chairman Jeremy Zunker
Treasurer Mike Garis
Secretary Ray Good

Mike Garis got himself up-to-speed as the new Treasurer, made a Home Depot run.
Sue accepted the job of WebMeistra, got herself up-to-speed on that, built and programmed a circular LED display.
James M poured aluminum into 10Bit souvenir molds. (They are shaped like Rolo candy.) Also flew his quad-copter.
Ray wrote Excel macros to take in streams of serial data and put out graphs. Also flew his quad-copter.
Derek learned a new term: “two bin inventory system” and made a good start at setting up 10Bit’s pantry on that basis.
Adrianne worked on her jewelry projects.
Sacha popped in to borrow an air compressor.
Mary schlepped soda cans.
Kevin built a bicycle wheel based, visual persistence, spinning LED, hand cranked, we’re-not-sure-whatchumacallit.
KK worked on a fishing rod based V.A. prosthetic spoon-to-mouth 3D printed contraption. Not so good. Next: Try adapting a gooseneck for the same purpose.
Keith helped KK.
Ken hung out, probably it involved a 3D printer.
David Novogrodsky learned to use the laser cutter. His made a plastic ArduinoUno-to-Lego mounting adapter. He declared it: perfect.
Mark Barnett learned to use the laser cutter. He made multiple sets of cardboard gears meant to be assembled by 9 year olds armed with soda straws for axles.
Oscar is our neighbor across the street where we sometimes park. He plans to teach kids how to fly kites during Siclovia.
Stevanie popped in carrying a squirt gun, looking for safe haven amongst the adults. She left again to continue being a kid. Yay for Spring!

Don S

Randy Ohman

Mar 29, 2015, 11:36:35 AM3/29/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Don.

I am interested in what David was doing with his adapter...same kind of stuff in my classroom.

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 9:22:55 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks
David had downloaded an SVG file that, after enhancement, looked like the attached png image.
The red was to be cut, the black was to be etched.  The 1” square was there for reference only and was not meant to be touched by the laser.
Anyone who has played in the Arduino sandbox will recognize the peculiar shape and the mounting hole pattern of an UNO.
And, of course, the red holes around the perimeter dropped perfectly over the posts on the top of a standard Lego brick.
There was a kit of parts. It was going to be a little robotic something-or-other.
Don S

Randy Ohman

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 10:04:21 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks

Randy Ohman

Mar 29, 2015, 11:03:19 PM3/29/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Don Smeller

Apr 5, 2015, 6:55:09 AM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks, jaimemv...@gmail.com, Peggy Guillory
1. Peggy showed her watercolors of the missions.  They’ve been turned into postcards.  She also made a bulletin board collage of Siclovia photos.
2. Don S sent off his proposed step-to-ramp animation to the landlord.
3. Jeremy is enjoying a hiatus from being president. He burned a few geegaws for guests, chatted up all comers.
4. Chris drilled down into the new router and learned how to reset the domain for Don S’s web server.
5. Greg was into his Blender project.
6. Ray printed an enclosure cover for Ken R’s Game-Boy-like project.
7. Harold brought the wheel hub from his electric cart, pressed out the faulty bearing, and ordered replacements on E-Bay.
8. Joey made videos and stills of the doings at 10Bit on a typical Saturday. See our Facebook site.  Thanks Joey.
9. Sue is turning her circle LED / Arduino project into a clock.
10. Kevin lathe-cut a proper axle for his visual persistence crank.  He’s planning to add free bearings given to him by a sponsor.  How cool is that!
11. Benjamin was new, or almost new.  He came with a laser cutter mission.  Jeremy helped him.
12. James M. got the 3D scanner working again, flew his quadcopter.
13. Craig Meyer and
14. Scott Long came in together having seen us first during Siclovia.
15. Elliot is the middle school son of one of the above two gents (I don’t remember which).  He learned a little SketchUp & joined 10Bit with his Dad.
16. Jaime came from Houston and spent 5 hours helping the Kens with their DIY 3D printers.
17. Ken S and
18. Ken R started their DIY 3D Printer builds.  They are cloning Ray’s machine. Vapor polish.  Home Depot run.
19. Braden is Ken S’s son.  He learned a little SketchUp, helped with the printer builds.
20. Andres had a broken “Delete” key. He was looking for a software workaround. He reports that the grant money came through to buy the vitamins for his robotics club 3D Printer but the procurement got stalled somehow.  School bureaucracies!
21. Matt is the boy next door.  He hung out with James M.
22. Garrett was influenced to come to 10Bit because of Siclovia and because of a mysterious smart phone game app involving landmarks in San Antonio.  He rescued the tiled blue art piece (across the street at the bus stop) from the evil green team and brought it safely over to his blue team.  This took several hours, don’t you see. Time to kill, he volunteered to do anything we needed.  He erected the black shelves.  They’ll soon hold our laser supplies.

Don S

Mike Garis

Apr 5, 2015, 7:57:35 AM4/5/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Ingress, and long live the resistance! (the blue team)

tookys3

Apr 5, 2015, 7:28:40 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
If we can get a good design it should be easy to produce alot of them next weekend.

3D print the base design, just to get the general body ready, (100% infill)(main body, loop, any major recesses pre done)

Then run through the shapeoko to cut the grooves  and details into the base to the final design.

Cast duplicates to form a casting tree.

Cast the final products one after the other using the casting tree.

Then fill the wells in the design with the epoxy paints.

Tie with ribbons and call a day lol.

Apr 5, 2015, 10:34:00 PM4/5/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
> On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 5:55:09 AM UTC-5, Don Smeller wrote:

> 20. Andres had a broken “Delete” key. He was looking for a software workaround. He reports that the grant money came through to buy the vitamins for his robotics club

Holding down the alt key and typing 177 on the key pad will simulate the delete key.

Craig

Don Smeller

Apr 5, 2015, 10:49:20 PM4/5/15
to 10BitWorks
Who knows how to get hold of Andres, the High School robotics club guy?
Don S

kc koellein

Apr 6, 2015, 4:16:35 AM4/6/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Craig

"Money came through to buy vitamins for his robotics club..."

Vitamins?

Is that a typo or might you elaborate, por favor...?

kc
K9SPY

Don Smeller

Apr 6, 2015, 5:22:24 AM4/6/15
to 10BitWorks
http://3dprintingindustry.com/2013/08/13/distributing-3dp-parts-and-vitamins-with-passion/

Read this article.  3D printing geeks live in a strange world, they have their own language.  They like to think that 3D printers are organically self replicating, to a point. The machines can print their own replacement parts but they need certain other parts, like motors and circuit boards, that have to be brought in from outside the system, i.e. purchased.  These are called vitamins.

kc koellein

Apr 7, 2015, 2:54:33 AM4/7/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
Very informative, inDEED! Thanks for clearing that up, Don.

kc
K9SPY

--

kc
K9SPY

"The Undisputed National Champions (Ohio State) lost to Virginia Tech, who lost to Temple, who lost to Houston, who lost to … UTSA. Congratulations to the Roadrunners on a historic season!” - Gregory Buschmann