Fwd: The Week at 10Bit

Don Smeller

Oct 4, 2015, 8:47:47 AM10/4/15
to 10BitWorks, George Smeller, barbara fuchs

I missed my Wednesday installment of this report, so I’ll try to recap a week’s worth here, including some Tuesday stuff as well.
Andres earns the coveted Geek of the Week Award:  Here he is modeling his 3D printed spectacle frames.  They hold his actual prescription lenses. Necessity is a mother.

It was a light week, attendance-wise, at 10Bit.  Tuesday, 8; Wednesday, 7; Saturday, 18.
It wasn’t so long ago that those numbers would have been astounding.

The CNC Mill got its X, Y & Z motors turning but the spindle is holding out.
Ken and Ray and Dave and Sean are troubleshooting the spindle.
I saw a text message fly by that said: “The snipped wire may be the smoking gun.”
Ooooo, the drama, the plot thickens.

Haunted House stuff is beginning to appear here, there and everywhere.
2 x 4’s and nail guns and black plastic and weird audio tracks are creeping in.
Whoever gets out the word, uh, please get out the word.
It will be Saturday, Halloween.  I don’t know anymore than that.
Ken Runner, can you please provide details, times, what to wear, food?

The wifi router got swapped out.  Yea!   Was the new one provided by James V.  Thanks, James.
There’s hope.
My RPi website was lost but now it is found. Thanks, Chris.
James M’s ZIM monitoring site got lost and it’s still lost. Chris? Matt?
The Grampa Printer’s OctoPrint site didn’t work for a 6PM print.

Murphi and Zach came early on Saturday to use the laser cutter.
They are making silhouette wolves for an upcoming shadow puppet show.
The Children’s Magic Theater is doing Little Red Riding Hood, but updated.
It’s called RED and Murphi stars as RED but, you know, she rides a bicycle.
The laser wasn’t actually down.  It had just been converted over for tortilla scorching duty.
John Frazee hopped to and got it cutting and etching again.

Wait. What?  Tortilla duty?
Joey and his Convergent Media Collaborative crew are doing a fund raiser for a portable laser to be used during Luminaria.
They plan to scorch photos of faces onto tortillas.   Why not?
There’s a video on this link. https://www.gofundme.com/xh5jdcxc
You’ll see Jeremy using our big laser, because the little one isn’t here yet.
As you consider whether to donate, realize that 10BitWorks will be the keeper of the portable laser.
Who wants to run the tortilla stand at the Witte’s Family Maker Day in February?

This week was crunch time for Ryan and Don and Les.  Deadline looming, they produced and tested 8 Elequa demo kits
It was a huge undertaking, actually, but we succeeded with eager help from Eddy and Murphi and Harold.  Thanks, all.
The SXSW Eco convention is Tuesday in Austin.
Ryan and Don will conduct a hands-on workshop demonstrating electrocoagulation as an alternative way of purifying water.

James M has mobilized half of San Antonio to print parts for his inmoov robot.
And to pay for the unprintable components a.k.a. vitamins.
Bags of ears and other body parts are arriving.
The smell of acetone vapor polishing is in the air.
Eyes are glowing in the dark.

Harold is designing a basket for his motorized wheelchair.

Charles and Bruce came for the monthly XCSSA meeting Saturday.

Eddy has become the First Robotics mentor at Sam Houston High School.  He’s recruiting Don to teach Onshape 3D CAD.

Greg is writing code to trick his Android phone into controlling a Raspberry Pi from afar.

James’ sister Yulie moved back to San Antonio from Albuquerque and showed up at 10BitWorks for Art in the AM.
She contributed a sample of watercolor brush rinse water to Elequa for purification.

New guy Isaac took the tour.  He went to Judson high school with John Frazee.

Don S

Archive  Click on 141.