Public Trello board for Outstanding Tasks

Chris Hardee

Sep 11, 2017, 6:11:21 PM9/11/17
to 10BitWorks
We created a public Trello board for any outstanding tasks to get 10Bit into a fully-operational battlesh-I mean hackerspace.

(let me know if anyone has any issues viewing this)

THESE TASKS ARE GENERALLY OPEN TO ANYONE!

If you're a new member or a longtime lurker and would like to help out, let us know if you'd like to volunteer for these tasks. Even if you don't think you could do it all by yourself, just stating you can help can probably get others to join in too.

We'll be happy to invite any volunteers to the Trello board to track the task and make changes.

--
Chris Hardee
10BitWorks

Craig

Sep 12, 2017, 1:13:13 AM9/12/17
to 10BitWorks
Ok, presenting the following as a related discussion/follow up to what's
on trello board as of 9/11/17 -- with tinges/cringes of humor thrown in.

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 10:11:21 PM UTC, Christopher Hardee wrote:

> We created a public Trello board for any outstanding tasks to get 10Bit
> into a fully-operational battlesh-I mean hackerspace.

Umm.. do have the space (literally and figuratively) to do things like
asteroids? : http://simonfarussell.com/Space-War-Plugin-and-Tutorial
space invaders : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sa-hackerspace/QksPn9KkjTU
and 10bitworks version of indoor holiday/4th July fireworks : pixelpyros : http://seb.ly/pixelpyros/
using diy  http://krazerlasers.com/lasers/rgb4/ and related open source software.
You know, to keep the kids busy to give parent(s) time to do makerspace stuff.

> https://trello.com/b/ELN0kDYR/10bitworks-outstanding-tasks
> (let me know if anyone has any issues viewing this)

> THESE TASKS ARE GENERALLY OPEN TO ANYONE!

> If you're a new member or a longtime lurker and would like to help out,
> let us know if you'd like to volunteer for these tasks. Even if you don't
> think you could do it all by yourself, just stating you can help can probably
> get others to join in too.

> We'll be happy to invite any volunteers to the Trello board to track the task and make changes.

What's the short term plan with the visitor kiosk?

   --Login, showcase projects / ideas?

    --Future class schedule / demos?

    --Where am I in the space now & where do I go see <insert current event>?

    --Single kiosk at old space seemed to cause backlogs on busy saturdays, perhaps, more
     than one diy touch screen via screenly? https://www.screenly.io/ose/

    --Any consideration to doing a ar/vr self-guided tour either via web link or head set (or cardboard ar glasses, insert cell phone w/ link to webpage via webkit)
      e.g. qr code to bring up rules/classes/qualifications needed to use a given area/machine /
      show schedule or usage hints :
      concept demo : https://imagineality.com/2017/08/adventure-corporation-imagineality-partnership/
      or for that matter, just doing basic online AR documentation for using a tool/machine or
      doing a project,https://imagineality.com/2017/08/articles-in-hand/
      Note: this would be a diy ar/vr head set!
      example: https://www.curbed.com/2017/6/29/15894556/ar-measure-app-augmented-reality-ruler-measuring-tape-ios
      If one can do vr with c64, then certainly should be able to do with wireless nanopi? :
      http://64jim64.blogspot.com/2017/09/vr64-virtual-reality-goggles-for.html
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOUDgZTUXzw
      and Jevois (https://hackaday.com/2017/05/17/jevois-machine-vision-camera-nails-demo-mode/ )

      --Use laser display on interior of garage door or ceiling for daily "event messaging" ?

Teleconference area:
Any plans for a teleconference area where things like cyclops could be used? https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608554/giving-the-dry-erase-whiteboard-a-high-tech-makeover/
Note: as of this writing cyclops is freely available.

Security camera:
?? motion tracking :
https://hackaday.com/2011/04/17/webcam-turned-security-cam-with-motion-detected-email-notifications/
https://hackaday.com/2016/04/02/insanely-quick-3d-tracking-with-1-camera/
https://hackaday.com/2017/07/13/sneak-thieves-beware-a-pi-watcheth/

Signage:
Any possibility of doing an electric sign for the 10bitworks sign?
e.g. https://blog.adafruit.com/2017/03/15/new-guide-john-parks-ninja-timergiant-7-segment-display-adafruit-johnedgarpark-adafruit/

Craig

john vanhoozer

Sep 16, 2017, 1:00:13 PM9/16/17
to 10BitWorks
Craig,

Those are good things to add.  Please add them to the board.

However, my primary concern is that right now we need to focus on having the space ready for people to walk in off the street.  It's one thing to say, "Here's our new SawStop Saw.  But to demo it I'd have to move a bunch of crap out of the floor, move it where I can use it, and I'll have to run an extension cord for it."  As opposed to saying, "This is our SawStop...  We'll teach you how to use it."  That's just an example...   We need the place to be functional, then we can get these other things done.  Like classes.

We're supposebly having an opening house in October...  And right now we have a bunch of crap in the floors.  Priority one is getting the space ready.

John

NativeTexan210

Sep 17, 2017, 1:31:37 PM9/17/17
to 10BitWorks
I think the only real solution to what you're saying John would be to build more dedicated table space. So many pieces are on the floor, if we had dedicated space for them it would make things easier. In fact, if the area where the sawstop is located was ringed in tables, the center area could be dedicated to work area. Another part of that problem though, as I've seen, is people not cleaning up after themselves. For instance, I went by last week at about 11pm to tear down an old foot locker to reclaim the wood and there was an open package of cookies on a table in the shop. There were other messes too but I left them alone mostly because I don't know who is doing what and I'm not about to disturb other people's projects. But we need to focus on people cleaning up after themselves. If you KNOW you're coming back later or tomorrow to finish a job, that's one thing. But I don't think that's always the case.

Craig

Sep 17, 2017, 4:45:15 PM9/17/17
to 10BitWorks
On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 5:31:37 PM UTC, NativeTexan210 wrote:

Another part of that problem though, as I've seen, is people not cleaning up after themselves. For instance, I went by last week at about 11pm to tear down an old foot locker to reclaim the wood and there was an open package of cookies on a table in the shop. There were other messes too but I left them alone mostly because I don't know who is doing what and I'm not about to disturb other people's projects. But we need to focus on people cleaning up after themselves. If you KNOW you're coming back later or tomorrow to finish a job, that's one thing. But I don't think that's always the case.

Ah, guess that might have been the original motivation for LVL1's mother project?

 http://www.lvl1.org/2012/02/15/mother/
http://wiki.lvl1.org/Main_Page
http://wiki.lvl1.org/MOTHER#Please_view_the_new_MotherWiki_Pages_here:_MotherStatus
http://wiki.lvl1.org/MotherStatus

At the very least, would know what group of individuals to bug about issues for a given time frame.

Craig

john vanhoozer

Sep 17, 2017, 9:56:13 PM9/17/17
to 10BitWorks
Yes.  We need table space for dealing wit the stuff on the floor.

As I've noted in the trello tasks,  there are 2x4's and plywood for a pair of tables that Randy and I started on.  And plans.  They are at the front of the space up against the wall.

And Hallelujah and Amen to people cleaning up!   This is a pet peeve of mine.  I spend enough time cleaning up already.

If anyone reading this doesn't want to read my rant, stop now...

Not cleaning up after yourself - including PUTTING TOOLS BACK WHERE THEY BELONG - is disrespectful of your fellow Makers and a safety hazard.  If I show up to work on something but first have to spend 20-30 minutes sweeping then you, whoever you are, are wasting MY time.  If I have to walk around looking hither and yon, bothering other folks to see if they've seen a caliper, or a philips head screwdriver, or a ratchet which was left somewhere it shouldn't be... say in the TOP compartment of the tool chest when it came from the drawer marked "Drivers", or "Wrenches"... you are wasting my time.

When I work, and this is just me and a few others I know, i plan to have some time at the end of my work to put shit away.  Sometimes, I might forget something (uh, there's a crescent wrench I set down that no one is ever going to find, but I'll get it next time I'm down there) but in general, I try and leave the space a little better than the way I left it, or at a minimum at least no worse.  There are chunks of angle iron on the floor that I've been watching to see when they get moved.   No one has vacuumed the aluminum dust up from the metal chop saw.  I'm tired of doing that.  I spend 20-30 minutes once a week just sweeping up the damn sawdust.  BOTH ALUMINUM DUST and SAWDUST ARE fire or explosive hazards, dammit!  (not worried about the aluminum so much since there isn't much).  Not to mention the much more possible "Hey, I was using the chop saw over here and now my work piece has some funky dark grey smear on it" from the aluminum.   If I was the team that built that new table for the chop saw, I'd be irked.

I spent 45 minutes 10 days ago... first cleaning up the sawdust from the table saw, then cleaning the table saw.  Vacuuming out the caked on sawdust, pulling the fence to clear the guides.  Then de-rusting and treating the table itself.  Not looking for positive re-inforcement here, but I am looking to point out that I hadn't used the saw.  The amount of sawdust was pretty bad.

End of Rant

Now, we will be putting together safety training and basic shop stewardship will be part of that.  But right now, we have a lot of people showing up, doing whatever and not helping to get the space up and presentable.  I've talked with several people, people who are helping to set up the space, and the consensus seems to be "We can't do it all".  It's hard to put together the safety training, to put the lockouts on the dangerous hardware, to put the cabinet for the hearing and eye protection up AND run the conduit.  AND police the common room.  AND clean the bathroom.  AND setup or fix broken tools.  AND fix the A/C in the upstairs rooms.  AND ... AND ... AND.  When there's only a handful of us (less) doing that crap.

I'm sure I said some things here that will make some people mad and some people will say "yeah!".  But look, we're not going to get new members if we can't show value.  We can't show value if things aren't working.  "Well, you could make this kind of widget.  We have people that can help.  But all the tools that we'd use to do it are still in a pile over there, so ..."  Really doesn't sell the space.

john

NativeTexan210

Sep 17, 2017, 11:39:57 PM9/17/17
to 10BitWorks
I just want it to be known that I don't often have time to come in and help with many projects during operating hours. I'm a 24hr subscriber because my work schedule only allows me to access the Space every other Saturday. I work 12 days on, usually evening.

That said, next time I go in the middle of the night, I intend to focus on cleaning the bathrooms to the best of my ability. I think a shelf or cabinet in the downstairs bathroom would be highly beneficial as the last time I was out there, there was stuff on the floor. Not a huge problem but it would look cleaner if things were pulled up off the floor. I won't go trying to install any shelves or cabinets without finding out who I need to talk to in order to make that happen, but I'll start there. At least it's something that I know I can do alone. As for some of the other things...not my area of expertise. But I am open to HELPING OUT so that I can learn. Unfortunately...that means that whoever takes lead, if they want my help, would have to come in to the space some time after 10pm. So...if anyone wants to do that, let me know.

I just discovered the Space. It's fucking awesome...and it's sad that a newbie is more invested than more than just a few of the members who have been here for some time. It's slightly disheartening to be honest. I see lots of posts about people wanting to play big games in the open space next door (that many people conveniently keep forgetting is NOT 10bit property) but there's only...what, three of us in this thread who seam to want to do anything about this? Yes, I know, that's not the entirety of those who want to help...but the silence is pretty loud here.

...just my observations.

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 8:56:13 PM UTC-5, john vanhoozer wrote:
Now, we will be putting together safety training and basic shop stewardship will be part of that.  But right now, we have a lot of people showing up, doing whatever and not helping to get the space up and presentable.  I've talked with several people, people who are helping to set up the space, and the consensus seems to be "We can't do it all".  It's hard to put together the safety training, to put the lockouts on the dangerous hardware, to put the cabinet for the hearing and eye protection up AND run the conduit.  AND police the common room.  AND clean the bathroom.  AND setup or fix broken tools.  AND fix the A/C in the upstairs rooms.  AND ... AND ... AND.  When there's only a handful of us (less) doing that crap.

john

NativeTexan210

Sep 17, 2017, 11:54:01 PM9/17/17
to 10BitWorks
I'm volunteering to attempt to remove the toilet rust. But I'll also doing a complete cleanup of both bathrooms. Add me as a volunteer.

On a side note, the request to fix the MAME Arcade is listed in "Bite-Sized Tasks"...
...shouldn't that be BYTE-SIZED TASKS??!! *ba-dum TSSS* Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the shrimp.

Craig

Sep 18, 2017, 12:42:23 AM9/18/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of john vanhoozer
On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 1:56 AM, john vanhoozer via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQfjxPZWSPpS...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Now, we will be putting together safety training and basic shop stewardship will be part of that.  But right now, we have a lot of people showing up, doing whatever and not helping to get the space up and presentable.  I've talked with several people, people who are helping to set up the space, and the consensus seems to be "We can't do it all".  It's hard to put together the safety training, to put the lockouts on the dangerous hardware, to put the cabinet for the hearing and eye protection up AND run the conduit.  AND police the common room.  AND clean the bathroom.  AND setup or fix broken tools.  AND fix the A/C in the upstairs rooms.  AND ... AND ... AND.  When there's only a handful of us (less) doing that crap.

Well, perhaps the priority should be on member access control to areas/tools using things like:
 London Hackerspace's ACNet : https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Tool_Access_Control/ACNet
 MakerBarn's MACS : https://youtu.be/CI3xxsBM9SE / http://koljawindeler.github.io/macs/
where station / area usage can be monitored via aforementioned mother system.
<humor>
Mother with the above would confine the acid damage to appropriate party(s).
</humor>

Craig

john vanhoozer

Sep 18, 2017, 4:54:48 PM9/18/17
to 10BitWorks
Yep...  The access control project is a good idea.  We already have some people that are putting together an access control system for the SawStop, the Band Saw, and other dangerous and/or special equipment. The idea being that you have to 1) watch some (insurance mandated) safety training;  B) take some 10BitWorks mandated training; and finally) demonstrate your knowledge to get a badge/key.  (We don't need no steenkeng badgers!)

James and I have been trying to work on the safety and training piece, but we are constantly doing a lot of other things.  Hence, my testiness about cleanup and things that need to be done.  We've agreed that we need the power run to the machines and the machines ready to use THEN we can start putting that content together.  We've been thrashing trying to do it all.

So... THANKS for the support, Chris and NativeTexan210, not everyone is getting it.  It's nice to know that some do folks do get it.  And yes, it is an awesome place!

Nyuk Nyuk... I get the reference!

Craig

Sep 20, 2017, 4:15:20 PM9/20/17
to 10BitWorks

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 1:56:13 AM UTC, john vanhoozer wrote:

[...]

Ok, here's a suggested long term project concept, paid automated clean-up.  Since there are those that want to maximize there project time, this is the addition for you.
First, game-ify the space, using beacons & nfc tags, ala https://estimote.com/ Everything on the workspace floor will have a NFC tag.Then add in a few clean-up bots.
Note: if it doesn't have an NFC tag, it'll be placed in the relevant workspace "unclaimed" bin.
So, one can request at the end of time frame for automated clean-up OR be charged for automated clean-up after the area has been used & not pick-up (either by auto request or non-automated way).
It'll also allow one to quickly locate where the appropriate tool(s) are.
Other future option:  reserving a workspace & having the clean-up bot setup/take out your stuff before you arrive!

Craig

Craig

Sep 21, 2017, 7:45:53 PM9/21/17
to 10BitWorks
The part 2 - the automated clean-up/set-up suggestion (at least until space gets unlimited funding ;)
So, completely automated AI shop butler robots aren't quite here yet, at any price.
What about a tele-presence robot or two controlled remotely by a human "clean-up handler"?
The person who want's "clean-up" or set-up service for non-hazardous situations (e.g. no
take care of dealing with metal furnace or changing the laser cutter filter), initiates a request ahead
of time and pays with 10bitworks credits. (vs. not cleaning up and getting charged $$  for automated
clean-up of area in question).  This does assume that there is someone available to manage the automated
clean-up / set-up -- otherwise, gotta do it the non-makerspace way.
The "clean-up" handler doing the cleanup or setup earns the 10bitworks credits.
10bitworks credits could be good for shop time, class discounts, reduction in monthly dues,
priority usage of equipment, or other 10bitoworks credit perks (? quarterly drawing for a donated item ?).

Craig

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:15:20 PM UTC, Craig wrote:

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 1:56:13 AM UTC, john vanhoozer wrote:

If anyone reading this doesn't want to read my rant, stop now...

Not cleaning up after yourself - including PUTTING TOOLS BACK WHERE THEY BELONG

john vanhoozer

Sep 22, 2017, 5:54:37 PM9/22/17
to 10BitWorks
Tomorrow (9/23), Let's have a quick meeting to disucss.  Pre-board meeting.  I'm not a board member, and more importantly, I have somewhere to be Saturday evening.

I'd like to set some priorities and get input on some items (e.g.  Where do we put the goggle/hearing protection station).   I'll be there around 10 or earlier and plan on staying until 2 or so.

john

Craig

Sep 22, 2017, 7:48:55 PM9/22/17
to 10BitWorks

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 9:54:37 PM UTC, john vanhoozer wrote:
I'd like to set some priorities and get input on some items (e.g.  Where do we put the goggle/hearing protection station).
 AR Floor plan ( http://www.air-measure.com/ or http://www.magic-plan.com/magicplan/ ) with current and future floor items
(http://www.housecraftapp.com/ ; https://8i.com/ ; https://www.wired.com/story/ikea-place-ar-kit-augmented-reality/  )
perhaps tagged using https://superpaint.it/ or https://www.paintspacear.com/ would allow for mapping out the what's planned and what is
currently on the floor.
Kinda a rube goldberg approach to figuring out where to put the goggle/hearing protection station, but
could even use something like https://www.wired.com/story/an-artist-uses-an-iphone-to-visualize-sounds-in-ar/ to figure out
where to place the opendesk  dividers (perhaps w/ sound absorbing material) to cut down/deflect the sound(s) a machine in a given area make.

Craig

Craig

Sep 23, 2017, 5:14:57 PM9/23/17
to 10BitWorks

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 11:48:55 PM UTC, Craig wrote:

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 9:54:37 PM UTC, john vanhoozer wrote:

I'd like to set some priorities and get input on some items (e.g.  Where do we put the goggle/hearing protection station).
 AR Floor plan ( http://www.air-measure.com/ or http://www.magic-plan.com/magicplan/ ) with current and future floor items
(http://www.housecraftapp.com/ ; https://8i.com/ ; https://www.wired.com/story/ikea-place-ar-kit-augmented-reality/  )
perhaps tagged using https://superpaint.it/ or https://www.paintspacear.com/ would allow for mapping out the what's planned and what is
currently on the floor.
Ah, guess I forgot to tag by 10bitworks "project" day:

Saturday in the AM :  https://uploadvr.com/masterpiecevr-cross-play-multiplayer-creative-platform-launch/
so 10bitworks has a justification for getting that 3d printed robotic arm.

Gamer sunday :
https://uploadvr.com/arise-ar-puzzle-platformer-arkit/
https://uploadvr.com/monzo-vr-model-kits/
for infinite board game space!