An attempt to lay out the new space.

Kevin Baldor

Jul 20, 2017, 5:46:50 PM7/20/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Randy Ohman
I definitely need to learn how to use OnShape more proficiently, but I've begun to try to lay out the tools in the air-conditioned space.

I don't know if it is possible for me to edit the version that Don is working on, but I saw that I could make a copy. I did so and named it WLaChapelle-ToolLayout.

I had heard that there had been some discussion of placing the man-door in the furthest corner of the space out of a desire to try to reproduce the layout of the current space. I think that we would do better to lay out the new space without reference to the current layout and definitely think that we want the man-door to be in the middle of the space to provide the most welcoming entrance (as opposed to feeling like you are sneaking in). I'm not having much luck finding design guidance on where one should prefer to place a door, so I can't back that feeling up with science.

Anyway, I moved the laser cutter, computer table for the laser cutter, and the laser materials into the air-conditioned space and made a layout that allows for a centrally-located door.

Hopefully Don will be at the space tonight and he can show me how I should have made this mock-up.

In the meantime, you can get a sense of how things might be placed in the new space.

-Kevin

P.S. I'm concerned that the model doesn't capture the location of the windows of the existing rooms in the space. I think that the "wall of shelves" is going to intersect awkwardly with them.

Don Smeller

Jul 21, 2017, 4:01:12 PM7/21/17
to 10BitWorks
10Bitties,
Kevin’s work in OnShape took looks like the attached screenshot. He has moved the laser cutter (orange) to the corner and nearby are two boxes, one for the little laser table and the other taller box represents the storage rack for the laser materials.  Good job Kevin. Those locations are as good as any.
Don

Kevin Baldor

Jul 21, 2017, 4:16:55 PM7/21/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
I hope to have some time to sit down with you and learn how to use OnShape more effectively. I actually managed to get locked out of my own drawing last night (it seems that I might have two accounts. Weird). As a result, I wasn't able to correct the measurements on the laser materials shelves.

Regardless, I think that everyone has decided that you had the right idea to begin with. Keeping it outside of the air-conditioned space will reduce the noise in the main congregation area.

Are you going to the old (or new) location tonight? Sue and I were planning to do so.

On Jul 20, 2017, at 4:46 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Kevin Baldor <sa-hackerspace@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Kevin Baldor

Kevin Baldor

Jul 21, 2017, 4:49:06 PM7/21/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
Aha! It looks like you can make it available for others to edit on an individual-by-individual basis. You'll need email addresses to do so. In my case, you should use my UTSA email address since that is what I used to get an academic license. We can discuss when we meet in person. In the meantime, we're running out of time for planning the new layout. We're just going to have to put things in what we think will be their final location tomorrow.

john vanhoozer

Jul 23, 2017, 11:32:44 AM7/23/17
to 10BitWorks
One thing about the door layout, kevin:   Visitors and non-members should not enter the space anywhere near the power tools for 1) safety sake and 2) for insurane purposes..

Sue Baldor

Jul 23, 2017, 11:38:04 AM7/23/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of john vanhoozer
I think that all the recent proposals have the door within the area blocked in by the shelving units. That would put it far away from any of the power tools.