LED controlling speed of a motor?

Greg Bluntzer

Dec 8, 2015, 2:18:17 PM12/8/15
to sa-hackerspace
I was watch this video on Gravity Light

and at 5 min 50 sec they say the led controls the speed of the motor.

Next time you see me explain to me how this is possible

Chris Hardee

Dec 8, 2015, 2:24:57 PM12/8/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
so just a guess, I haven't watched the video, but the weight pulls down a winding spring which in turn moves a series of gears and turns a small generator. Just like an old grandfather clock.

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Greg Bluntzer

Dec 8, 2015, 2:32:27 PM12/8/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee
Yeah that is how it creates the electricity. But the video says the LED controls the speed of the motor. So 10 lbs moves just as fast as 100lbs based on only the LED. Which i don't understand at all.

Chris Hardee

Dec 8, 2015, 2:33:08 PM12/8/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
oh sorry I miss understood your question, I thought you were asking how gravity can power leds :P

another guess: looks like there is some sort of backfeed mechanism where the as the voltage gets to the limit it is backfed into the generator in the opposite direction which acts as a slowing mechanism?

Charles...@aotx.uscourts.gov

Dec 8, 2015, 2:42:16 PM12/8/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee
Yep... shorting out a motor/generator is like putting a break on it... Does
"regenerative braking" sound familiar?

Charles

From: 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee
<sa-hack...@googlegroups.com>