Safety videos

john vanhoozer

Jun 26, 2017, 10:40:07 PM6/26/17
to 10BitWorks
There are a lot of good safety videos out that we could use rather than re-invent the wheel - and they will have more experience at this than anyone here.  Seriously.

I've perused the videos from the Powertool Safety Institute and think they cover topics extremely well. It appears that they *may* charge for videos, but we could at least use the information in the YouTube videos for the basics ideas if we are going to make our own.  They have good info, complete info, and great coherent production.

tookys3

Jun 27, 2017, 8:59:07 AM6/27/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of john vanhoozer
For those wondering why John brought this up, it's because I had asked him to help with making some safety videos to be put into the 10bit YouTube channel.

More or less we WILL!!! be making training videos.

I would like those that know each equipment best help with making the video. If not we will just have to rely on other sources.

Reasons to make our own videos -

1. We want to have all videos needed for all our equipment be accessible. Without members needing to pay for it. And located in one place.

2. We want to have the videos show our exact brand and model of what we have in the space. As well as any special concerns our equipment has.( Such as the t-shirt press not showing the pressure indicator like it's supposed to, or that it doesn't auto open properly, but that it's still in working order)

3. We want to emulate the professional videos, forcing us to get ourselves the safety equipment and accessories in order to do the videos (like how we still don't have the auxiliary fence, shuttle block, and feather boards for the table saw.)(nor do we have the dado blade and dado guard for the table saw)

4. Making the videos ourselves allows us to make content for our YouTube channel which is bare.

5. Making it ourselves means the instruction is an actual rule of 10bit, and not just advice from a 3rd party group.

6. I have a friend who I am paying the membership fee for (out of my pocket) if he makes 3 training videos a month for us.

7. Making the videos while showing off different members in each video shows a bit of who our community is. Each video could have a short shout out for the member, who they are, and what their background is. This way new members learn who can help them with what projects, who to ask for help on equipment, and learn the names of a few members.

8. Not all of them are about safety, some are just about how certain things are done and what their about. Like maintenance of the aquaponics system and how the system works in theory. How to access the 3D printers via octo-print. And is still in the same location as the rest of the videos.

9. For insurance we are required to implement our own training program. And we need to be able to update the videos should the insurance say more is needed. Having control of our own videos means we can update them if needed.

10. Using other people's videos for our training program requires we contact them individually for permission to use their videos as our official training. Instead we can watch the professional videos and replicate them, the videos we make, we don't have to worry about permissions for use.

Sent via my Samsung Galaxy, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Kevin Baldor

Jun 28, 2017, 10:12:56 AM6/28/17
to 10BitWorks
Since no one else has done so, I guess I'll be the one to respond.

On my director's office wall, there is a framed quote; "The perfect is the enemy of the good". As somewhat of a perfectionist, the quote annoys me, but discussions like this are the reason for its longevity.

I think that your points are generally valid and that making our own videos will bring the benefits that you enumerated, but John did something important when you asked that he help you with making training videos; he stepped back and asked "what is the purpose of the task" instead of simply asking "what was assigned". This is the heart of the distinction between the professional and the paraprofessional -- the chasm between the engineer and the technician.

Beyond the benefits, there are the costs to consider. Videos production is a specialty unto itself. YouTube encourages the illusion that anyone can produce quality content, but it you watch the top performers long enough, you'll hear hints at the production teams behind each video. Good videos have scripts, carefully designed lighting, multiple cameras and presumably more that I haven't considered in post production. And that's just for something as silly as an unboxing. For safety videos, it is critical that the subject of the video be in perfect focus and shown from several angles: wide establishing shots and close ups on controls and surfaces that maintain enough context for clarity.

If we are willing to dedicate the resources, I'm sure that we can manage this, but it won't be quick. In the meantime, there will be no training if we dismiss John's proposal. I propose a hybrid solution in which we initially rely on authoritative videos such as those that John proposed -- augmented by those that we make ourselves as needed.

-Kevin

P.S. As we are also interested in videos that teach technique, I'll mention that I learned quite a bit from Dave Jones' Soldering Tutorials. I had no idea how easy it could be to hand solder high-pin-count surface-mount components. They also illustrate my earlier point about production values.

tookys3

Jun 28, 2017, 11:32:39 AM6/28/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Kevin Baldor
I understand what your saying and I do agree.

The biggest issue is to develop our "OFFICIAL" training program to have documented for insurance purposes.

There are many companies that offer videos that are available for individuals to watch. But they expect businesses and organizations to pay them for use of their materials.

It's all good and fine to tell people to go watch a video on YouTube to learn how to do something.

But it is a different matter when we as a business are wanting to use somebody else's video for our internal documentation.

I'm not opposed to using other organizations videos. So long as we have permission to use them as our OFFICIAL training.

Then we would only need our videos to cover the specifics of our equipment, if it is different from their videos, as a short supplemental.

Or for equipment that we can't get videos for.
----____----____----
As a side note PTI (Power Tool Institute) does look to have a charter to provide these materials to organizations for free. I will email them to confirm we can use them for official training. If yes, then I would agree let's just use their video instead of trying to re-film the wheel.

tookys3

Jun 28, 2017, 5:31:48 PM6/28/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of tookys3
So I have talked to PTI and they gave us permission to use their videos for training.

On the condition that "the materials are used in their entirety and not changed in any way. Also, that the TPI website is used as the source, and that your members are referred to the TPI site"

They have safety instruction documents for most of the equipment we have, but they only have a few videos.

We can set up our training for the time being to rely on their videos and safety documentation. And transition to making our own videos for what they don't have videos for.

We can also continue to search for other sources of safety training to use in combination. As long as they give us permission to use them.

john vanhoozer

Jun 28, 2017, 5:55:17 PM6/28/17
to 10BitWorks
Great work, James.  And thanks for taking our discussion to heart.  And thank you Kevin, for your input, too.

I think that Kevin's idea closely matches what I wanted to discuss with James when I return from the  July 4 weekend break.  I was going to suggest that we use the videos from PTI for the safety class and I think that having some follow up videos to show particularly "10Bit" things would be a good adjunct.  For example:

  • PTI Table saw training followed by
  • "10bit's  Using the SawStop"... we might want to see if SawStop has some specific videos to augment our own.  But cover things like, how to move the thing (don't just kick the wheels down - you *really* need to have some one help and support the extension table during the moving), or that it'll cost you $'s if you activate the brake, or how to tell if the wood or object you are cutting will activate the brake, etc.
I really do plan to have a "class" when my life settles down given the fun we had cutting the pieces for the wood bin.  I think that a small project for some people to work on and take home and show what wood shop can do and covering safety would be good.  Perhaps Randy could help design the class?

Yeah, we have a lot of machines with idiosyncrasies...  but I think rather than documenting them, maybe we should address them.  If there's a missing dial or gauge, we should look at fixing it or replacing it.

More on Training (not moron training! dagnabit)

On a related note, I was there last night when Cory, the insurance broker introduced to us by Craig, came by.  All he really needs is a list of the training materials, not the actual training materials, for the dangerous equipment - anything that could kill, maim, or cripple.  So this gets us that very thing.  I talked to him about the PTI videos briefly and he said that sounded like the way to go.

He did have an interesting tidbit, though: our official "main entrance" and address is on Roosevelt, and not McKinley.  This works to our advantage since it's a "no no" to have people off the street walking through the shop area since they then become targets of flying mayhem and potential legal issues.  So... we might want to 1) make either the Roosevelt door the actual main door or use the door in the classroom and B)  keep that bit of information in our minds as we look at new locations.  For example, the potential location at La Chappelle would be problematic for this unless we'd use the door at the BACK of the building as the entrance.

Just a thought.

John