Assistance with project

Joshua Snyder

Jul 9, 2015, 9:24:44 PM7/9/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
I have been slowly working on a project for the last year. And I really
want to get some forward progress. I have been mostly stuck with the
need for a case for my LED grow light(and some power issues). And I
have been thinking about bringing the parts into the space some
Saturday. It looks like will be around this weekend so... I was
wondering if I could get some assistance with maybe designing/cutting
something to use as a case for the led light. Maybe something laser
cut... but I don't know for sure...

For more information on my project.

https://hackaday.io/project/2144-web-connected-hydroponic-led-grow-system

I haven't really done much with it in the last 6 months...

Josh

p.s. would the space need a 44 inch DLP monitor? I say monitor as the
Audio chip went bad about 3 years ago so it's a TV but you shouldn't
really use the built-in speakers.

Matt Grooms

Jul 9, 2015, 10:12:26 PM7/9/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Josh,

Usually quite a mixed bag on Saturdays. Come on down to talk/ work on your design.

44” DLP TV - Are we talking a flat screen, wall mountable (VESA) design, or is this one of the early ones that came in a big-ish, projection TV, sit-on-the-floor-cabinet?

If it’s the floor standing kind, we probably have no room for it as floorspace commands a real premium @ 10BitWorks. On the other hand if it’s thin, wall mountable (VESA) style, and it has an HDMI interface it might fit right in to a current effort (classroom /entertainment video/audio system for the Studio room).

Just finished this week based on a small HD TV, moving the second AppleTV to this larger display and wall mounting it would make things even better!.

Dead audio chip…..just the amplifier section(?), maybe it still has line level audio output(?), or is it completely mute? No matter, we can make something work.

More info on the TV please……

Grimey

Joshua Snyder

Jul 9, 2015, 11:08:33 PM7/9/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

I almost e-mailed about the TV separately. It's been sitting in my
spare bedroom since before I started my LED Project. So for more than a
year. ^^

All DLP TV's are projection. DLP = Digital Light Projection. So, it's
a projection Tv but it's rather thin. Not wall mount thin... I measured
it and it's only 12.5 Inches deep. Also as I remember without any added
ventilation Samsung recommends keeping 6 inches of free space between Tv
and the wall. It wouldn't be too hard to add a small amount of
ventilation to move it closer to a wall as most of the heat comes from
one small area.

I wanted to post a spec page from Samsung in this e-mail... but seems
like Samsung removed most of the spec's from their website. But it's a
HLS4666WX/XAA and... it's a 46 inch TV(not 44). 720p Native resolution.

As for the Audio issue, it makes clicking noises when using the built-in
speakers. At the time, I wasn't too worried about it as I was using
external speakers anyways. It's a rather common issue with this TV. As
I remember it's commonly caused by the audio chip over-heating over long
terms. And the issue does seem to be related to the temp of those chips.

In all honestly I wouldn't even mind if someone tried to make this TV
into a SLA (Stereolithography based) 3d Printer for the space. I have
seen people use other DLP Projectors to make rather interesting 3d
printers. Basically this TV is just going to sit here doing nothing...
until I toss it out sometime in the future. Which seems like a waste to
me as I am sure it has some value.

Josh

Matt Grooms

Jul 9, 2015, 11:43:54 PM7/9/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Thanks Josh, that’s what I thought, but wasn’t sure. So no studio wall mounted display for classroom activities……. anybody up for the challenge of hacking a TV to do stereolithography based 3d printing? :-)

Grimey
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/559F3729.9080405%40imagestream.com.

Don Smeller

Jul 10, 2015, 3:01:34 AM7/10/15
to 10BitWorks
Josh,

Helping people with projects is what I do.
Look me up on Saturday.
We’ll pencil out your idea.
I sounds like you want to make a birdhouse.
BYO Laptop.
You’ll know SketchUp before an hour is up.

Don Smeller

tookys3

Jul 10, 2015, 7:14:50 AM7/10/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Does it have a glass screen?

From what ive been able to tell, setting up a SLA printer may be even easier than a FDM printer.

All that is needed is to added a resevior tank to the screen, and a z axis platform.

> [...]

>>> For more information on my project.
>>>
>>> https://hackaday.io/project/2144-web-connected-hydroponic-led-grow-system
>>>
>>> I haven't really done much with it in the last 6 months...
>>>
>>>            Josh
>>>
>>> p.s. would the space need a 44 inch DLP monitor?  I say monitor as the Audio chip went bad about 3 years ago so it's a TV but you shouldn't really use the built-in speakers.

Josh Snyder

Jul 10, 2015, 1:08:53 PM7/10/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
No, it's a plastic screen.  And honestly at 46 inches diagonal it would have a really low build resolution.  Most of the SLA printers I have seen have a small build area to get increased resolution vs FDM printers.
--
Joshua Snyder
ISis ImageStream Internet Solutions, Inc.

Matt Grooms

Jul 10, 2015, 6:28:33 PM7/10/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Josh,

Maybe the TV would work in the studio after all. Even though not wall mountable, it’s still over 200% larger in viewing area. If you are coming tomorrow, can you bring it in for an extended test drive?

If it doesn’t work out (or the gang threatens to lynch me), I’ll see it get’s delivered back to your home in Selma.

Grimey

Don Davis

Jul 10, 2015, 9:04:01 PM7/10/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
How does it do with ambient light?
The bulb looks quite similar to the DLP I put in the classroom - that
handles the ambient light quite poorly.

On 07/10/2015 05:28 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms wrote:
> Josh,
>
> Maybe the TV would work in the studio after all. Even though not wall
> mountable, it’s still over 200% larger in viewing area. If you are
> coming tomorrow, can you bring it in for an extended test drive?
>
> If it doesn’t work out (or the gang threatens to lynch me), I’ll see it
> get’s delivered back to your home in Selma.
>
> Grimey
>

>> On Jul 10, 2015, at 12:08 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Joshua Snyder
>> <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
>>> *E.F.A. Project* <http://www.efa-project.org/>, and is believed to be
>>> clean.
>>> Click here to report this message as spam.
>>> <http://filter-new.imagestream.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=14FD56066A.A2FA8&token=0555a799cfa00cc5e27514dfe2d4e3d8>
>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/3o2ifppybqfopbow5mw5gu8o.1436526880628%40email.android.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/3o2ifppybqfopbow5mw5gu8o.1436526880628%40email.android.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/559FFC16.7050905%40imagestream.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/559FFC16.7050905%40imagestream.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/B5823745-5022-4A3B-A2A6-3E618414E9B3%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/B5823745-5022-4A3B-A2A6-3E618414E9B3%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Matt Grooms @ Gmail

Jul 10, 2015, 10:10:58 PM7/10/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of gnu_don
Wha....?

Is someone else, offering something better, for free?

Matt G
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/55A06B7E.6080201%40reglue.org.

Joshua Snyder

Jul 10, 2015, 11:30:32 PM7/10/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

I will bring it in tomorrow with the project. It's rather light being
mostly just an empty box.

I live in Cibolo. I guess my work e-mail client included the default
signature... someone must have been replying to non-work related e-mail
while stuck on a conference call, I wonder who...

Josh

On 7/10/2015 5:28 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms wrote:
> Josh,
>
> Maybe the TV would work in the studio after all. Even though not wall
> mountable, it’s still over 200% larger in viewing area. If you are
> coming tomorrow, can you bring it in for an extended test drive?
>
> If it doesn’t work out (or the gang threatens to lynch me), I’ll see it
> get’s delivered back to your home in Selma.
>
> Grimey
>

>> On Jul 10, 2015, at 12:08 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Joshua Snyder
>> <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
>>> *E.F.A. Project* <http://www.efa-project.org/>, and is believed to be
>>> clean.
>>> Click here to report this message as spam.
>>> <http://filter-new.imagestream.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=14FD56066A.A2FA8&token=0555a799cfa00cc5e27514dfe2d4e3d8>
>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/3o2ifppybqfopbow5mw5gu8o.1436526880628%40email.android.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/3o2ifppybqfopbow5mw5gu8o.1436526880628%40email.android.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/559FFC16.7050905%40imagestream.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/559FFC16.7050905%40imagestream.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/B5823745-5022-4A3B-A2A6-3E618414E9B3%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/B5823745-5022-4A3B-A2A6-3E618414E9B3%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Matt Grooms

Aug 27, 2015, 6:41:38 AM8/27/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Josh,

Thanks for bringing in the TV. Sorry I missed you. I checked it out and it’s not going to work out for my project. How do you want me to return it to you? Please let me know, as stuff that is just laying around may fall victim to someone tearing it apart, or even throwing it out.

Thanks,
Matt