Saturday at 10Bit - - 9/10/2016

Don Smeller

Sep 11, 2016, 1:13:37 PM9/11/16
to 10BitWorks, Militza Cunningham
Mikel and Amanda put the pedal down on their planter box project this week.  They didn’t like the warp-prone plywood doors pictured, so, Saturday, they fabricated new doors from planks.  Lots of planer work, sanding, staining.

20160905_193013.jpg

Craig and Evan are making a cigar humidor.  It will have a partitioned drawer, a hinged lid, a lift-out tray. Each sub-assembly is a 5 sided box.  I introduced them to www.makercase.com and the concept of cutting finger-joints with the laser. They opened accounts in OnShape and together we learned the rudiments of  1. how to design with 3D CAD and 2. how to share design files via the cloud.  OnShape is cloud-based. It enables working collaboratively.  All for FREE.

Eddie designed a frame last week for his invention.  It had a long overhang that looked droopy when 3D-printed.  James M suggested a design change that would greatly reduce the overhang. Then James used his “Simplify” software to add support material where needed. At day’s end Eddie’s new design was 4 hours into a 5 hour print.

The threesome of Tom M, Charles W and Matthew H sat around the big white table and planned a balloon-lofted, GPS-like, Blue-tooth-on-steroids communication network.  As they hove out of sight, the SantaClaus-clone Matthew was heard to say, “Gentlemen, let’s go make money.”

Victor, a stay-at-home Dad, his son Vurukai, 7, and Dad’s friend Alfonso, a.k.a. The Fons, came for the tour.  The boy was intrigued by the little tug boats that have begun to accumulate on the Gramps bench.  So we kicked off a print job and situated Vurukai on the ladder so that he could cling like a monkey and watch.  They couldn’t stay until the finish of the print.  They took one of  the earlier samples.
.
Peggy and Militza and Don painted while Peggy’s son Travis got himself set up with Arduino’s IDE.  He pecked his way through tutorials.

Gabby, Nancy, and Olivia stored SpareParts treasures on the high shelves.  Gabby was on crutches.  She’d broken a meta-tarsal.

GnuDon popped in and told of an upcoming maker show at Roosevelt HS, where he teaches.  He also reported troubles with PayPal.

Chris and Keith met up.

Gabriel and Brian Q added a wood and plastic rack to hold their reels of filament.  Then they took their 3D Printer away. They will do a show-and-tell at Burbank H.S. next week.

Sue double stitched her leather project with waxed lacing.

Greg wrote code.  It’s a game app, coming along.  I caught a glimpse of a starry background. What sort of game involves a starry background?

We held our monthly meeting.  We’re surviving.  Another Haunted House is coming.  Financial stuff to do.

The big laser is down for maintenance.  The little laser is being readied for general, non-tortilla, use.  Ken is dedicating an old laptop and updating it with Windows something-something-32bit-something to run the special laser software.

Ray demonstrated using the Dyna Mill in manual mode using his laptop’s keyboard arrows.

Another James, this one from Helotes, showed up late and pumped James M with 3D-printing questions.  Make or Buy? Accuracy? Quality?  Compare / Contrast.  James M knows his stuff.

Others not mentioned above: Kevin, Jeremy, Stevanie, Tall-Dude-who-escaped-sans-name.

All told, there were 31 of us at 10Bit on Saturday 9/10/2016

Don S

_______
Again, nowadays, I’m manning the fort on Thursday evenings.  If you’d like to discuss a project and/or learn the how-to’s of 3D-CAD, 3D printing, graphics software, laser cutting & engraving . . . that’s what I’m there for.  Show up.

Les Hall

Sep 11, 2016, 7:07:13 PM9/11/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller, Militza Cunningham
Entertaining and informative as always, I enjoy reading these updates every week!  I won't bore y'all with details, suffice to say the 3D printer and the Processing Software have both been running strong in my little Santa's elf workshop.  I even go to show my friend Mary's grandson the basics of printer operation.  Fun!

Les

Mikel Duke

Sep 11, 2016, 9:05:49 PM9/11/16
to 10BitWorks
Here's some pictures with the new doors once we got them attached today.

On Saturday I also glued up a wood block. I used as a lamp base for the voronoi patterned wood box I but on the laser a few months back. I finished it out at home, but at the space I cut, glued, and sanded the block, then at home I stained it and mounted a light fixture inside. For the box, I stained it, glued some parchment paper inside to diffuse the light, and glued it together as well. I used a 40watt LED bulb inside with a nice warm color cast.

Charles Wyble

Sep 12, 2016, 12:39:17 PM9/12/16
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com

On 09/11/2016 06:07 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall wrote:

The threesome of Tom M, Charles W and Matthew H sat around the big white table and planned a balloon-lofted, GPS-like, Blue-tooth-on-steroids communication network.  As they hove out of sight, the SantaClaus-clone Matthew was heard to say, “Gentlemen, let’s go make money.”

Charles W here.

https://www.suborbital-systems.net/ , it's open source/open standards. Lots of pics, bill of materials etc at that site. We are at our first prototype and are working on lots of engineering/design validation in coming weeks.

Sorry we had to rush off, business is chaos!

john vanhoozer

Sep 16, 2016, 3:06:40 PM9/16/16
to 10BitWorks
I have some tools I am considering putting on-loan to the space, including a biscuit joiner.  Might come in handy if you need to join pieces.  If I make it tomorrow, I'll see about bringing it down.

Craig

Sep 16, 2016, 7:19:01 PM9/16/16
to 10BitWorks

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 2:06:40 PM UTC-5, john vanhoozer wrote:
I have some tools I am considering putting on-loan to the space, including a biscuit joiner.  Might come in handy if you need to join pieces.

<humor>
 If I make it tomorrow, I'll see about bringing it down.
Is there the possibility of requesting other tools to be made & brought to the space; if someone supplies the appropriate materials? ;)
</humor>

Craig

john vanhoozer

Sep 16, 2016, 8:32:22 PM9/16/16
to 10BitWorks
I don't have a huge collection :(

And what i do have has been largely inaccessible until recently

Craig

Sep 17, 2016, 2:36:46 AM9/17/16
to 10BitWorks
Ah, but for a brief statement, sounded like things were setup to MAKE power tools from scratch at home. ;)

Craig