Laser cutter

malik...@yahoo.com

Mar 27, 2015, 2:32:10 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks
Good afternoon 10BitWorks,
I'm thinking about using the laser cutter to cut wood for my 3D printer. I just want to know the dimensions of the cutting area of the laser cutter. Also can it cut 1/2 inches thick? thanks
Malik

Sent from Windows Mail

Jeremy Z

Mar 27, 2015, 2:43:05 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Malik Aldabbagh
Hey Malik, Cutting dimensions are roughly 1200mm x 900mm, that's the maximum cutting area. The front door can open allowing one to use larger sheet, but the max cutting area still applies.  It can cut 1/2" but it's not quite fully recommended at this point, because it takes a lot of passes (approx 7!) and typically it still doesn't go all the way through for the entire cut meaning you'll have to cut out stuff by hand. I have plans to upgrade the air assist pump which should make cutting 1/2" materials work a lot better.
Check out the wiki http://www.10bitworks.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=tools:lasercutter I've put a lot of info about the laser cutter on there.

Don Smeller

Mar 27, 2015, 10:46:29 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks
Hi Malik,
Long time, no see.
1/4” plywood is very doable; 1/2 sucks.
Are you perhaps adding a second floor to your combination 3D Printer and condominium?
Don Smeller

Malik Aldabbagh

Mar 30, 2015, 12:41:11 AM3/30/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks
That is great, I Actually I don't need more than 900mm by 900mm cutting area!! I'm in the process of designing the printer on solidworks and It will take a while before I'm done with the final design. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

Randy Ohman

Mar 30, 2015, 1:23:47 AM3/30/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Maybe some secondary operation-added ribs would allow you to use 1/4" plywood, similar to automotive and appliance large surfaces that are augmented with ribs, either with additions or added by stamping. Knowing the size your your machine(s), it would maybe make it a one-man job to lift it.