More from "Tested"

john vanhoozer

Aug 28, 2017, 11:19:24 AM8/28/17
to 10BitWorks
Some of you may have heard me talk about "Adam Savage's Tested", a youtube channel hosted by Adam Savage of "Mythbusters" fame.

What I like about these shows are the variety of maker topics that it covers.  Some shows are about actually making something, a box, a costume, or a re-creating a prop from a movie.  But others are about his visiting a makerspace or other cool "makery" type place. (I hereby serve notice that "Makery" is now Trademarked by me!)

For example, he's visited a record pressing plant in Detroit - the first new vinyl record pressing plant in like 50 years- and been to Artists Assylum, one of the nations top Makerspaces and it's a multipart video since it's SO big.  He's also done a 4 part visit with the "MIT Center for Bits and Bytes", which is something like the Bell Labs of the Makerspace revolution and a research facility not only for MIT but for FabLabs.  Fablab is a trademarked name for MIT registered makerspaces (see below).

They recently released the 4th part of the tour of the Bits and Bytes tour and it's kind of mind blowing.  I'll put the link below, but I recommend watching all three.  You see some of the coolest, newest technology being developed there in each video but in the last installment, the Director ties all the things that Adam is shown in to one overarching idea of making...  And it will blow your mind.  It's a bit technical in places, and you see tools that we won't see in out space or in any space in sometime, the Director says this will all come about in the next 50 years and I think that's a reasonable time frame.

Basically, and this does not do the idea justice, the goal is: Machines that make machines (replication) on a scale we've never thought of before.

Check it out.

Part 4:  Center for Bits and Bytes Tour finale
Parts 1-3:  Part 1 Part 2 Part 3  (part 3 has carryon sized CNC machines! and Cardboard Modular CNC)

Fablab info - https://www.fablabs.io

Fablabs have certain requirements in terms of classes and hardware.  Spaces have to be certified, too.

Center for Bits and Bytes:  http://cba.mit.edu/

Randy Ohman

Aug 28, 2017, 8:13:52 PM8/28/17
to 10BitWorks
Thanks, John. This is a great series.

Craig

Aug 31, 2017, 10:51:43 AM8/31/17
to 10BitWorks

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 12:13:52 AM UTC, Randy Ohman wrote:
Thanks, John. This is a great series.
Yes, but only if it results in a 10bitworks spin-off series. :)

So, while the aforementioned sites might get something like  https://qz.com/1064679/a-new-t-shirt-sewing-robot-can-make-as-many-shirts-per-hour-as-17-factory-workers/
what might be more realistic with current resources/sponsorship would be to take a past project, such as https://boomyummy.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/bioluminescence/
and automate the various t-shirt builds, e.g. http://www.3ders.org//articles/20170830-has-rclifeon-mastered-the-art-of-3d-printed-t-shirt-design.html
& https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUW8G4vXZfg perhaps adding led pick/place and/or 3d printed, on shirt wiring.

A publicly accessible area presenting things/projects that happened over the last month (even just one) would provide for a source of
'what's happening at 10bit' without to much on the expense side.

Craig

tookys3

Aug 31, 2017, 11:56:07 AM8/31/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Craig
Ok Craig,  get started on it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

Craig

Aug 31, 2017, 12:09:54 PM8/31/17
to 10BitWorks
Is this a 3d print tuesday; automation thursday; or demo saturday thing?
Or, sticking to the keep it simple, where's the link to upload demo video?

Craig

tookys3

Aug 31, 2017, 12:27:30 PM8/31/17
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Craig