10Bit weekly Drone/UAV/Quad Copter meetup discussion

Chris Hardee

Jul 19, 2015, 11:08:05 PM7/19/15
to 10BitWorks
So Sean and I have been getting into the RC hobby after both building quads at the space. We're considering have a formal meetup every Sunday at 10Bit to build, discuss, and go out and fly.

Just brainstorming here, but as for things we could do I'm thinking of holding classes and workshops as we learn more and share resources.

Workshops would include:
Building your first Quad for FPV flying
Repair/Rebuild day
Intro to Arial Photography
etc

If you're not familiar with FPV flying and what you can do with a very simple set up check out this video:

I know we have a few Alamo FPV'ers on the list like James V and probably a few others that are into the hobby. Who all is into the hobby and would like to join up or would like to get into it? Sound off if you're interested :)

--
Chris Hardee
10BitWorks

James Vaello

Jul 20, 2015, 7:42:01 AM7/20/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee
All,

I am very much into the hobby as you guys know. I was recently promoted to Vice President of the National Racing League, www.MulitGP.com. Sunday is our race day or I would say that we would be interested in that day. If anyone is interested in coming out to watch the shenanigans, we arrive at 100 Jackson Keller about 11am any given Sunday and stay through about 4pm. There is shade and I usually have refreshing cold beverages.

Currently, it seems that there is a need for another Tech Night at the space. I was hoping to use the space on a Thursday night in the near future. My racers aren't afraid of putting tips in the jar.

It's ironic that you posted a Flite Test video. We just got finished with Video Frequency/Race management at their big event, Flite Fest. It was a great success and we learned a lot from it as an organization.

James

Joseph Lopez

Jul 20, 2015, 8:49:20 AM7/20/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of James Vaello

Les Hall

Jul 20, 2015, 10:44:39 AM7/20/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of dayojtl333@gmail.com
Another 10bit activity that I wish I could attend.  I'm losing weight and sticking to my diet and even exercising a bit so we'll see...

Les

cha...@thefnf.org

Jul 20, 2015, 11:42:09 AM7/20/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-07-19 22:08, 10BitWorks on behalf of Christopher Hardee wrote:
> So Sean and I have been getting into the RC hobby after both building
> quads at the space. We're considering have a formal meetup every
> Sunday at 10Bit to build, discuss, and go out and fly.

Awesome. I've been doing quite a bit with (very) high altitude platforms
recently. Including a 100% open source auto tracking system that
integrates with the satnogs.org platform.

Unfortunately my Sundays are fully booked. :( Any chance it could be on
Saturday? :)

> Just brainstorming here, but as for things we could do I'm thinking of
> holding classes and workshops as we learn more and share resources.
>
> Workshops would include:
> Building your first Quad for FPV flying
> Repair/Rebuild day
> Intro to Arial Photography
> etc

Awesome. All good stuff.

I'm mostly interested in the comms/tracking aspect, auto tracking,
longer distance flying (non line of sight) etc. Of course optimizing
payload is always of great interest.

Have you guys done things like launch drones from airplanes/balloons (or
launched from balloons launched from planes/gliders)? What about high
altitude model rocketry?

Don Smeller

Jul 20, 2015, 12:04:59 PM7/20/15
to 10BitWorks, Chris Hardee
Chris,

There are 4 guys at Lancer where Ray Good and Don Smeller and Bob Robinson work, who are into quadcopters.

James Martinez -  -  james.m...@lancercorp.com
Ben Saucier -  -  -  - ben.s...@lancercorp.com
Sam Escamilla -  -  -sam.es...@lancercorp.com
George Hernandez -GHer...@lancercorp.com

I forwarded your e-mail to them.  At least two have already replied that Sunday works for them.
Please include them in this thread.

Don S

Joseph Lopez

Jul 20, 2015, 12:06:44 PM7/20/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Les Hall
Congrats!

I have been working out and dieting as well.  Was 305, then 285, now 275 and gaining muscle....

It's a day in day out thing.  Glad to hear you are doing better!

Shane

Aug 14, 2015, 2:27:51 PM8/14/15
to 10BitWorks
Hi all, I am new here and would be quite interested in any multicopter meetings or meet-ups in the San Antonio area.

Chris Hardee

Aug 14, 2015, 2:30:12 PM8/14/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Shane
Hey Shane! We're planning on meeting up this Sunday at 10bitworks (1pm-ish usually) and likely go flying afterwards :)

Shane

Aug 14, 2015, 3:07:42 PM8/14/15
to 10BitWorks
Superb! It's my first time, what is the address for 10bitworks? Also, I'm having a rough time with PID settings would it be possible to bug someone for a little guidance on getting them right?

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 1:30:12 PM UTC-5, Christopher Hardee wrote:
Hey Shane! We're planning on meeting up this Sunday at 10bitworks (1pm-ish usually) and likely go flying afterwards :)

Chris Hardee

Aug 14, 2015, 3:10:26 PM8/14/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Shane
The address is 1020 Roosevelt, more details here:

I haven't had to adjust PID settings but I believe Sean Kelly, another drone person who will be there, has.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Shane via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQcGZ_dqZzJsr...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Superb! It's my first time, what is the address for 10bitworks? Also, I'm having a rough time with PID settings would it be possible to bug someone for a little guidance on getting them right?

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 1:30:12 PM UTC-5, Christopher Hardee wrote:
Hey Shane! We're planning on meeting up this Sunday at 10bitworks (1pm-ish usually) and likely go flying afterwards :)

Shane

cha...@thefnf.org

Aug 18, 2015, 5:05:07 PM8/18/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com