New Video Entertainment / Educational Support Infrastructure @ 10BitWorks

Matt Grooms

Jun 28, 2015, 7:59:25 PM6/28/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Hey Everyone -

I purchased a brand new AppleTV3 & mini Bluetooth keyboard yesterday, installed them in the PA road case, and connected the output to the overhead video projector in the main room at 10BitWorks today. This permanent addition to the audio/video suite provides the following functions:
1) Muisc - 800 watts of audio from Apple Radio, my personal iTunes music collection, or BYOD and connect it to the spare 3.5mm line input.
2) Movies, TV series, news, etc - Catch up on your favorite series or rent a movie for 10BitWorks Movie Night.
3) YouTube - take a group look at videos for project ideas, etc.
4) Classroom Display - Wireless desktop sharing via AirPlay Mirroring <most important of the entire lot!>

The overriding reason I installed this equipment is to support classroom instruction and visitor presentations. Using AirPlay Mirroring, ANYONE with an iPhone, iPad, MAC, Macbook, etc* can wirelessly mirror their display to the overhead projector. (* 3rd party support of AirPlay for Android, Linux, & Windows may exist).
- it’s WIRELESS, no need to be tethered to the VGA cable by the screen.
- in addition to the presenter’s video going to the projector, their AUDIO goes to the 800 watt PA system.
- the presenter can sit anywhere, classroom, studio, outside, on the roof, etc.
- the connection is Dynamic; another presenter/instructor/student can take over to show their desktop at any time.
- this latest rev AppleTV (A1469) has the little known ability to tack up an ad hoc wireless network between iPhone/Pad and the AppleTV (no need for the visiting presenter to join 10BitWorks wireless network in order to make a presentation)

Imagine the ways it could be used:
1) 10BitWorks Monthly Membership meetings; each board member takes of the screen in turn in order to share their display of the minutes, old/new business, treasurer’s report, etc, etc.
2) A design team works around the table, each one in turn taking over the display, sharing their progress on their assigned task.
3) A classroom setting where any student with a problem can take over the screen to show the instructor what they are having a problem with. Other students, with the same problem, or perhaps a solution, benefit from seeing it on the big screen.
4) We host the neighborhood association again & they have a dozen or more presenters. If they know ahead of time we support AirPlay mirroring they may show up with their Apple Keynote presentations on an iPad making for a nice easy presentation.
5) We host another avant guard musical presentation / synthesizer workshop. They’re musicians’s so they’re already hip to the Apple ecosystem. They show up, use AirPlay Mirroring, and we all have a rocking good time.

OK, OK, so I drank the (Apple) cool-aide; I admit it. BUT, this is an instance where the Apple Technology is of very real, very practical value in a presentation/classroom setting. Lots of our visitors & instructors use MacBooks, so no additional equipment/software is required.

If non-AirPlay presenter needs to use the projector, simply disconnect the cable from the PA cabinet and connect your device.

I’ll type up a new PA system power on/shutdown sheet, laminate it, and attach it to the front cover of the PA road case. I’m also happy to perform PA/AppleTV orientation for anyone who wants to know how to use it. It’s a great resource, let’s use it.

Grimey

Joseph Lopez

Jun 28, 2015, 9:10:33 PM6/28/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Apple TV's are fun ☺️

Don Smeller

Jun 30, 2015, 6:58:14 AM6/30/15
to 10BitWorks
Wow Matt,
Where do I sign up for the orientation class?
Don S

Matt Grooms

Jun 30, 2015, 7:12:00 AM6/30/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Wow, I got a “wow” from Don de Don Don.

No class, just whenever you want to.

Grimey
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/0EF5EDA1-FB93-4EA1-A288-E6CFF61962CB%40earthlink.net.

Les Hall

Jun 30, 2015, 7:19:08 AM6/30/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
The video equipment sounds fantastic, can I use it for telepresence?  (Unexplained loss of consciousness allowing).

Les

Don Smeller

Jun 30, 2015, 7:36:54 AM6/30/15
to 10BitWorks
I’d be wanting to learn some Wednesday evening. soon.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/0028A8DD-43B1-413D-8148-862CD367C638%40gmail.com.

Matt Grooms

Jun 30, 2015, 8:16:46 PM6/30/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Les,

The only new piece in the mix (AppleTV) doesn’t provide any telepresence magic of it’s own, but may (depending on what the 10bitworks-end terminal equipment is) enhance what you’re already doing (done, did, ?).

If the 10bitworks-end is Apple IOS or OS/X, then that display (in theory) can be mirrored to the projector, with the audio coming through the PA. Your-end camera view & audio from 10bitworks (if any) would remain unchanged.

I can imagine you all Wizard-of-Ozzy-like, big head surrounded by flames on the screen, booming voice over the PA, “Pay no attention to that AVR behind the curtain, I AM LES, LES of NEW BRAUNFELS!”.

Grimey

Les Hall

Jun 30, 2015, 11:09:00 PM6/30/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
lol, Grimey you crack me up!  Maybe I would have done that last time at the Arduino class but I passed out right before the gig!  I have asked around with great anger as to who drugged me and all I get from the staff is that it must have been psychosomatic!

That scares me because foul play can be avoided or dealt with, but a psych problem that makes me pass out is scary.  We'll just have to try again and see what happens.

Thankfully the guys moved in quickly and took over the class, having taught such before.  I am very thankful for their quick improvisation!  Otherwise it would have been a major disappointment for the class attendees.

As to the TV, it's Apple on my end so hopefully we can rig up something smooth.  Thanks Grimey for this beneficial gesture.

Les