3d printer filament

Brandon Walls

Sep 24, 2016, 1:24:32 AM9/24/16
to 10BitWorks
Hello everyone. I am new to 3D printing and to the group. Can anyone suggest some good quality 1.75 millimeter filament that is reasonably priced here in town? I am also interested in trying to build a filament extruder if anyone has experience with this type of project I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Brandon

Don Smeller

Sep 24, 2016, 10:46:07 AM9/24/16
to 10BitWorks
Brandon, The world expert on 3D Printing is a goof named James Manley. He inhabits 10BitWorks on Tuesday nights and Saturdays about 10 to 3.
I know a little, too.
Don Smeller
I’ve never bought filament locally, always online.

Tookys

Sep 24, 2016, 12:08:56 PM9/24/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
I've come across several companies saying they were trying to make their own filament extruder to make their own filament from the plastic they receive (most of these are e-waste recyclers)

None of them have gotten up to speed on it in the last 3 years as far as I can tell.

A DIY filament extruder will run you $700 or more to produce.

Buying my own filament I won't spend that much in 5 years of printing.

There is a filament provider by Leon springs called cheap3dfilaments.com

Personally I stick to Hatchbox on Amazon or pushplastic.com

I spent a good while switching between vendors until I came across Hatchbox and their quality is great and consistent.

Lately I have been sticking to pushplastic because they provide BULK spools. (1kg/3kg/10kg/25kg) so that I can reduce the amount of spools changes and waste on the spool.

(I started using them at work for our massive 1meterX1meterX0.5meter printer. Which has used up to 5 kg for a single part)
(I also use a 3kg spool for the printer I keep at the makerspace)

I have used a filabot filament extruder at work. It is very difficult to get it set up right but it is do-able.

If you are planning to make a filament extruder to save money on personal printing I don't see it paying off in less than 5 years.

It is viable if your wanting to do it just for the sake of doing it or making custom blends like metal blends or custom colors.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

>To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/A6ACC36F-29AB-4F98-8BF6-356DCFAE4EE7%40earthlink.net.

Brandon Walls

Sep 25, 2016, 2:22:50 PM9/25/16
to 10BitWorks
Thanks for the suggestions. I am wanting to make a DIY extruder just for the fun of it. I think the Lyman extruder has some potential.. i have the price of the parts down to about $200 which i think i would be able to be re-couple pretty quickly. I would like to come by some time at talk about Modding. i am interesting in increasing the size of my build plate.. it its even possible..

Thanks,

Brandon

Les Hall

Sep 25, 2016, 7:04:48 PM9/25/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Brandon Walls
Brandon, you may be aware of this site?  If not you should invest a little time into it.

Les