Maker games concept

Craig

Sep 25, 2016, 1:18:43 PM9/25/16
to 10BitWorks
Hey,

Just trying gauge if there's any interest in having a themed maker games Saturday event.
Obviously, the details are best discussed/covered in a Thursday night discussion.

The concept would be to pick a theme item to work a Saturday event around.
Short list of some potential maker games themes:

 ** http://www.moatboatpaddlebattle.com/
     -- rules : http://www.moatboatpaddlebattle.com/rules/

 ** line following robot(s) contest as a combination of tweenbot (http://www.tweenbots.com/) &
     -- rules variation explained at http://roboquerque.org/generalinfo2016/line-following-challenge/

 ** http://makezine.com/projects/joust-a-bot/

 ** http://www.3dracers.com/

 ** 10bitworks variant of http://nerdyderby.com/
   -- rule set: http://www.makerfaireorlando.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Nerdy-Derby-Race-Rules-Recycler-Class.pdf )

 ** http://makezine.com/projects/combat-concepting-cardboard/
    -- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3lxfoMBhPlRjfZUpdEirgyuJpMrvPPEv
    -- http://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/3lq7e9/cardboard_battle_bots/
    -- rules: http://www.columbiagadgetworks.org/wiki/index.php/Combat_Robots

I would suggest self-propelled airplanes, but there's quite a bit of variation on that.
e.g. solar powered; flappables; diy wireless controlled; drone vs. traditional diy powerup motor

The idea would be to build it Saturday morning & hold the competition in the afternoon.
?? perhaps a morning workshop based around the theme ??
Recycling stuff from past contests would lower the cost after initial entry project.
Obviously, required materials would depend on a few things other than funds.
-- e.g. 3d printing something that takes more than 4 hours isn't going to work Saturday morning.

Perhaps, this is something 10bitworks could also take to some of the demos it goes to?

Craig

Ken Runner

Sep 27, 2016, 5:23:03 PM9/27/16
to 10BitWorks
That sounds like fun to me...can we discuss it this Saturday?

Thanks,

Ken

Les Hall

Sep 27, 2016, 7:42:47 PM9/27/16
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Ken Runner
On the subject of maker games, one possibility is to play a game that I created called Circuit War, modeled of course after the famous Core War.  In this game we have a full sized breadboard and each player places components and wires, one turn each, onto the board including wires (and only wires) that reach across the board into the other person's territory.

The object of the game is to disable or better yet destroy the opponent's microcontroller (suggest ATtiny85 running Arduino code).  With large-ish inductors allowed as well as switched capacitor circuits allowed, the possibility of destroying the opponent's microcontroller is interesting to say the least.

Also winning requires knowledge of analog and digital circuits as well as Arduino programming, so it's a good way of teaching people how circuits and code work together, made exciting by the harmless destruction possibility.

Tirst person to actually cause a microcontroller to emit the smoke that is stored inside of it wins a coveted prize!

Craig

Sep 30, 2016, 9:18:52 AM9/30/16
to 10BitWorks

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 4:23:03 PM UTC-5, Ken Runner wrote:
That sounds like fun to me...can we discuss it this Saturday?
I can try and be there, but no promises -- wonky Saturday schedule.

Craig