FAQ's

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 8:46:57 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks
I’d like to start a thread where we collect FAQ’s from the Siclovia event. We have our work cut out for us. We must educate San Antonio as to who we are and what we do.

My favorites:

1. The sign says you’re a Maker Space. What do y’all make?
2. I live 2 blocks away. How come I’ve never heard of you?

Don S

Kathryn Vaello

Mar 29, 2015, 9:04:30 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of zunkworks

How about calling a meeting where we can discuss what went right and where we could improve for next time. Everyone there had great ideas.

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 9:59:35 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks
Thanks Katie.

Do-Ocracy Wednesday is now a standing event on our 10Bit calendar, and it was created for exactly the sort of discussion that Katie is suggesting.
We don’t have to wait a year for “next time”.  We have another event coming up in 10 days, April 8,  a Wednesday btw.  We, 10Bit, are hosting a meeting of the Roosevelt Park Neighborhood Association. Start time is early, 5:45 PM.   2 months ago, when the RPNA met, there were 30 participants.  These are people who live within a mile of 10Bit.  Two mayoral candidates will speak.  Then we’ll get to strut our stuff. These people are going to ask:

3. Do you have programs for kids?
4. Do you have to be a member to use the tools?

Don S

Randy Ohman

Mar 29, 2015, 10:12:48 PM3/29/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the second feedback, I was thinking a sign on the door inviting readers to our weekly open-houses (Saturday afternoon and 3D Tuesday evenings) might be good. Also an explanation that there are other times as determined by the schedules of our volunteer members. After closing down I overheard a couple fellows walking by on the front sidewalk saying they weren't sure what it is but it doesn't ever seem to be open. Maybe a sign like the attached?

Come and Make It.docx

Joseph Lopez

Mar 29, 2015, 10:48:41 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
I am happy to have a meeting with yal to help build a PR and Marketing initiative.

I have been MIA as I have been super busy with school, but summer is approaching and I should be able to help yal a lot more.

Currently I am free Tues/Thurs evenings and Sat and Sun.

Joey

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 10:49:42 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks
Good feedback, Randy.

In essence Randy picked up the FAQ:

5.  What time are you open?

Post hours on the door!  What a concept!

We’d have to put on our big-boy pants and, come hell or high water, open the damn door at the times posted.
No excuses.  No more, “Oh, I forgot.”  No more, “I got busy.”  Open the door or delegate the chore to a backup person.
Shame on us for making the customer chase us down.

Don S

On Mar 29, 2015, at 9:12 PM, Randy Ohman via 10BitWorks <sa-hackerspace+APn2wQdqPUlJoE3XM...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Regarding the second feedback, I was thinking a sign on the door inviting readers to our weekly open-houses (Saturday afternoon and 3D Tuesday evenings) might be good. Also an explanation that there are other times as determined by the schedules of our volunteer members. After closing down I overheard a couple fellows walking by on the front sidewalk saying they weren't sure what it is but it doesn't ever seem to be open. Maybe a sign like the attached?

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 10:54:09 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks
Joey,
Can you meet this Tuesday, April 31? Say at 6:00?
Jeremy, you available? Let’s get the PR machine cranked up.
Don S
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/0CDA04B6-9D2F-4ABC-B586-AFA174CE567C%40gmail.com.

Joseph Lopez

Mar 29, 2015, 11:04:19 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
I can meet at 6pm Tuesday. See yal then.

joey
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sa-hackerspace/75690B4E-F3E7-4A49-8FD8-A8D30605320B%40earthlink.net.

Don Smeller

Mar 29, 2015, 11:05:34 PM3/29/15
to 10BitWorks

Jeremy Z

Mar 30, 2015, 8:27:12 AM3/30/15
to 10bitworks

I'll be there Tuesday.

James Vaello

Mar 30, 2015, 8:57:12 AM3/30/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller
Katie and I can be there as well.

Mike Garis

Mar 30, 2015, 9:34:48 AM3/30/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
So just to kick this off, rather than store things on this board which will eventually fall back off the main page, I added a FAQ page to the wiki.

If you have changes let me know, what is there now is more of a place holder will more questions and answers can be added. Also we should get an accounting of who does or does not have access to edit the wiki. I know a handful do, but many do not, so we can work to expand this.

- Mike G.

Jeremy Z

Mar 30, 2015, 3:09:26 PM3/30/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Mike Garis
Many minds were blown yesterday (in a really great way).

One thing I noticed is that a number of people I talked to were under the impression that something as cool as 10Bit had to be some sort of for profit organization and that resources like ours were out of their reach. When I explained that we're a member run do-ocracy sorta place with no investors to be held accountable to, there are no bosses, that everyone is welcome and that yes this stuff was totally within their reach they'd get excited and their eyes would light up and they'd start talking about ideas they have.

Wording on what to expect -- this ties into member on-boarding. Again people just didn't think that resources like ours were available to them. They think that stuff is only in fancy expensive places and is out of their reach both financially and conceptually. We need to be explicit in that everyone is welcome and this super cool stuff is there for them, all they have to do is start showing up and interacting. It kind of reminds me of Red (Morgan Freeman's character) in Shawshank Redemption, particularly the scene where he forgets he doesn't have to ask his boss if he can go to the bathroom, every. single. time. he needs to go.