New CAD software, free

Don Smeller

Aug 29, 2015, 5:36:13 AM8/29/15
to 10BitWorks, George Burkhardt
Thanks goes out to George Burkhardt who called my attention to www.Onshape.com. It’s a pretty robust, free, 3D CAD package, in Beta, accessed through a browser.  It requires WebGL which, on my MacBook Pro is available if I use Firefox.  It has the feel of high end CAD packages like SolidWorks or NX with the feature tree, constrained sketches lead to extrudes, filets are one click. You get to type in dimensions, not just drag and hope.  And revise them later, if you need to.   Circles are circles, not polygons.  Export to STL.  If the goal is to do simple designs, that are then to be 3D printed, for free, Onshape beats SketchUp,   If you want to learn this software, let me know.  I can show you the basics.

Don S

Matt Grooms

Aug 29, 2015, 10:15:22 AM8/29/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace, George Burkhardt
Thanks Don, thanks George. Looks pretty nice.

The site worked fine using Safari on OS X. It also worked fine using Chromebook Chromebase computers.

Matt

On Aug 29, 2015, at 4:36 AM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Don Smeller <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Thanks goes out to George Burkhardt who called my attention to www.Onshape.com. It’s a pretty robust, free, 3D CAD package, in Beta, accessed through a browser.  It requires WebGL which, on my MacBook Pro is available if I use Firefox.  It has the feel of high end CAD packages like SolidWorks or NX with the feature tree, constrained sketches lead to extrudes, filets are one click. You get to type in dimensions, not just drag and hope.  And revise them later, if you need to.   Circles are circles, not polygons.  Export to STL.  If the goal is to do simple designs, that are then to be 3D printed, for free, Onshape beats SketchUp,   If you want to learn this software, let me know.  I can show you the basics.

Don S

<Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 4.03.40 AM.png><Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 4.29.08 AM.png>

josh jordan

Aug 29, 2015, 1:27:48 PM8/29/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Browser applications are definitely the future of cad.  Upverter isn't quite there yet for electronic cad, anyone know of other browser based cads to keep an eye on?

-Josh

Chris Hardee

Aug 29, 2015, 2:23:14 PM8/29/15
to 10BitWorks

We teach our 3D printing class with Tinkercad, simple but easy to use