Metal Lathe: Ist Kaput ?

john vanhoozer

Mar 5, 2017, 3:03:15 PM3/5/17
to 10BitWorks
Randy, you might want to take a look...

it seems the pulley that drives the head is slipping on  the shaft.   I can turn the pulley easily and get no rotation on the part held in the headstock.  I can't figure out what normally holds the pulley to the stock as I don't see a screw to tighten.  I have a video if you wish to see it.

The pulley system on the left spins freely on the shaft up throught hat first gear (big arrow).  the gear and set screw on the shaft (little arrow) do not turn freely...  those gears are supposed to drive the worm gears for the cutting head for an auto cut.

Any ideas?

jcv

Randy Ohman

Mar 5, 2017, 5:10:13 PM3/5/17
to 10BitWorks
Yes, first idea is that I should run a basics class asap :)
The slip is by design.

There are 4 states possible:
1. clutch in, backgear lever not engaged, driven shaft coupled direct to spindle
2. clutch out, backgear lever engaged, driven shaft coupled to spindle via backgears
3. clutch out, backgear lever not engaged, no connection between driven shaft and spindle (current state, upon inspection)
4. clutch in, backlever engaged, driven shaft coupled to spindle via two different ratio drives...a locked circumstance and a no-no.

Fortunately, no damage done...3rd state.

Backgear is for slowing the spindle down dramatically. The situation could be drilling, turning, or threading to name a few examples.

Randy Ohman

Mar 5, 2017, 5:12:33 PM3/5/17
to 10BitWorks
Thanks for getting this to me as quick as you did. Let's exchange numbers....21O5845O94....so we can tackle these as they come up.

john vanhoozer

Mar 5, 2017, 6:24:29 PM3/5/17
to 10BitWorks
Will call in a moment, but thanks!