Chairs, chairs, everywhere - Repairs underway

Matt Grooms @ Gmail

Mar 27, 2015, 8:26:19 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Thanks to Bill Sherrill for donating chairs Randy Ohman identified as availlable from storage at Nimitz Middle School. Picked up 15 of them and delivered to the space, all suffering the same design-fect. Held a one man repair clinic servicing nine of them. Removed backs, popped chess pawns out of cushion, then epoxied same in backs. Curing overnight, should be good to go in the morning. Sorry Saturday painters, just realized the table I left them on, is most likey whee you work......

Matt G

Chris Hardee

Mar 27, 2015, 10:38:58 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
Great job Matt!

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:26 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Thanks to Bill Sherrill for donating chairs Randy Ohman identified as availlable from storage at Nimitz Middle School. Picked up 15 of them and delivered to the space, all suffering the same design-fect. Held a one man repair clinic servicing nine of them. Removed backs, popped chess pawns out of cushion, then epoxied same in backs. Curing overnight, should be good to go in the morning. Sorry Saturday painters, just realized the table I left them on, is most likey whee you work......

Matt G

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace

Randy Ohman

Mar 27, 2015, 10:39:40 PM3/27/15
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Way to go, Matt!

I'm glad you have the mind of James V. or, at least, talked to him too, maybe, figuring out the proper pawn gluing. I did one Wednesday. I think the epoxy will be better than the rubber-based glue I happened upon.
RadioShack ShelfContents-Lessons-ChairRepair 030.jpg
RadioShack ShelfContents-Lessons-ChairRepair 031.jpg
RadioShack ShelfContents-Lessons-ChairRepair 032.jpg

Don Smeller

Mar 27, 2015, 11:19:55 PM3/27/15
to 10BitWorks
Speaking for the Saturday painters: We’ll sit on them.
Speaking as a Board Member:
When a perpetrator brings 2 cubic yards of stuff into the hacker space, he or she needs to also remove 2 cubic yards of stuff. We need a stuff-neutral policy.
Chairs that don’t stack, in particular, are the enemy: they take up way more than their fair share of precious floor space.
We will likely have 40 people at 10Bit on April 8, some of them old, one has size 14’s, milling about, dodging chairs.
Randy? Matt? What is your plan for dealing with this space invasion?

Don S

> On Mar 27, 2015, at 7:26 PM, 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks to Bill Sherrill for donating chairs Randy Ohman identified as availlable from storage at Nimitz Middle School. Picked up 15 of them and delivered to the space, all suffering the same design-fect. Held a one man repair clinic servicing nine of them. Removed backs, popped chess pawns out of cushion, then epoxied same in backs. Curing overnight, should be good to go in the morning. Sorry Saturday painters, just realized the table I left them on, is most likey whee you work......
>

> Matt G

Matt Grooms

Mar 28, 2015, 7:57:27 AM3/28/15
to 10BitWorks Hackerspace
Speaking as a volunteer deliveryman / chair repair person: You’re welcome.

Speaking as a perpetrator (a person who perpetratesor commits, an illegal, criminal, or evil act): I would think your 40 old, large footed April 8th visitors would appreciate a place to sit rather than milling about. If the board feels we already have the perfect mix of chairs, then I suggest that after these are repaired we offer them to members for whatever they would like to put in the tip jar, placing any remaining on the sidewalk. From there, they will find good homes, overnight.

Matt G

tookys3

Mar 28, 2015, 8:45:09 AM3/28/15
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Matt Grooms
The issue in question is not the # of chairs but their type.

We probably could use more chairs, but we need  chairs that can be folded or stacked for storage.

Space is an extreme premium. We dont want to spend time shuffling around a bunch of chairs into taking up a whole corner everytime we need to clear a little space.

3-4 rolling / non-storing chairs are alright, but more than that and we start losing valuable floor space for essentially empty seats.