Deadline Reminder & Instructions: RWJF Hospital Price Transparency Challenge (Visualization Category)

Hemali Thakkar

Aug 26, 2013, 12:34:15 PM8/26/13
to rwjf-hospital-price-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Thanks again for pre-registering for the 'Visualization' category of the RWJF Hospital Price Transparency Challenge. We're excited to offer $30,000 in prizes in both static and interactive components of the 'Visualization' category. With the deadline today, we wanted to send around this reminder email again with instructions.

1. Just another friendly reminder that the deadline for the challenge is TODAY, Monday, August 26th, 11:59 pm ET. When you're ready, submit your project on Visualizing at http://visualizing.org/contests/visualizing-hospital-price-data

2. MATERIALS - In addition to your final visualization, all entries must also have:
  • a brief text description (no more than 250 words) that includes details on your data analysis, what the visualization shows and how it might be used by the public
  • a URL to a video pitch (no more than 3 minutes) of your visualization
Attached is a screenshot of the Visualizing upload page. The URL to your video and your text description must be included in the "Caption" section in order to be eligible for a prize.

3. TEST UPLOAD - We strongly suggest uploading test projects beforehand [On the upload page, click on "Publishing options" and uncheck "Published" in order to keep your project from being public] to ensure that you don't run into any problems at the deadline.

4. BEHIND THE DATA - Get an expert's perspective on the Medicare Provider Charge Data with our Behind the Data interview with Niall Brennan, Director of the Office of Information Products and Data Analytics at CMS.

5. EVALUATION CRITERIA - As a reminder, your submissions will be evaluated using the following evaluation criteria:
  • Impact: To what degree does this solution provide significant public benefit by elucidating an important issue? - 25%
  • Innovation: To what degree is this solution innovative and brings new thinking to the topic? - 25%
  • Clarity: Is it easy to understand and digest the information that is presented? - 15%
  • Data Analysis: Is the data analysis sound and reflects an understanding of the data - 20%
  • Use of Other Data: To what degree does this solution leverage other open data? Judges will examine depth of use for each data stream and the breadth of different data used - 15%

Let us know if we can answer any questions!

Best,
RWJF Hospital Price Transparency Challenge Team

Picture 26.png
Picture 29.png

Hemali Thakkar

Aug 26, 2013, 1:17:18 PM8/26/13
to rwjf-hospital-price-t...@googlegroups.com
NOTE: Your video pitch should not be uploaded on Visualizing.orgWe recommend posting your video pitch to YouTube or Vimeo to obtain a URL. On the upload form, include the URL to your video project in the "Caption" box. The project link is only to upload the file for your visualization.