Inconsistent Data

Nanda Yadav

Aug 7, 2013, 8:12:28 PM8/7/13
to rwjf-hospital-price-t...@googlegroups.com
How are we supposed to handle, what seems like wrong/inconsistent data.
For eg: In the inpatient charges data(csv), there's this row of data: 249 - PERC CARDIOVASC PROC W NON-DRUG-ELUTING STENT W/O MCC,500051,OVERLAKE HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER,1035-116TH AVE NE,BELLEVUE,WA,98004,WA - Seattle,23,44499,84499.26087

The last two cols, are Average Covered Charges , Average Total Payments  respectively. So in this case avg covered charges is 44,999 but payments is almost double of that, 84,499.26. how is that possible?
I haven't gone through the whole dataset to test this, just saw this anomaly during some random observation with my visualization.

Nanda Yadav

Aug 7, 2013, 8:22:43 PM8/7/13
to rwjf-hospital-price-t...@googlegroups.com
There are about 500+ such rows/cases in that csv file, where avg payments is higher than charges.

Axel

Aug 17, 2013, 4:26:03 AM8/17/13
to rwjf-hospital-price-t...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nanda for the question,

May we have an answer from Heath2.0 team ?

A.

Hemali Thakkar

Aug 20, 2013, 2:45:40 PM8/20/13
to Axel, rwjf-hospital-price-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Axel -

I recommend reaching out to CMS directly as they will best be able to answer your questions regarding the data!

You can reach them at: medicareprovi...@cms.hhs.gov

Best,
Hemali

Hemali Thakkar
Program Lead & Senior Challenge Manager | Health 2.0

Sign up for The Health 2.0 Weekly
Connect with Health 2.0: tw . fb. in

Join us at the Seventh Annual Fall Conference (Sept. 30 - Oct. 2)!
Check out Health 2.0's Developer Challenges - $1M+ in prizes available!