Purple Martin victim of attack?

Karl Schneck

Jun 19, 2019, 12:04:31 AM6/19/19
to Rogue Valley Birds
I looked up from my van solar project and saw this adult male PUMA on the utility wire only 50' from me. Feathers looked a mess and he was preening for at least 15 minutes... maybe a predator's doing? Other than the messy feathers, he seemed fine.

Jeff Tufts

Jun 19, 2019, 3:52:49 PM6/19/19
to Rogue Valley Birds
Karl--

Any chance that the male's dishevled condition could be a result of squeezing into a nest cavity and feeding a female (and possibly young) ?  I've seen nest cam videos that show birds in cavities with really close quarters.  Might be enough to get the feathers messed up.

Karl Schneck

Jun 19, 2019, 3:58:16 PM6/19/19
to Jeff Tufts, Rogue Valley Birds
Jeff,
That's the second good idea... Janet Kelly suggested bathing. I'll try to find it this evening and see how it looks... I usually see them (just the male now) 7-8 PM on the wires.
Karl Schneck

"As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but nature's sources never fail." John Muir