OK WinRM gurus - I haven't seen this message before

Evelyn Dibben

Jul 28, 2015, 6:26:08 PM7/28/15
to rundeck-discuss
The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol.

Basically whenever I try to do ANY winrm command I get the above response.  I've stopped and restarted the service - no change.

Some of the articles tell you to mess with IIS settings, I'm a little nervous about that.

I've configured some 30 servers and now I'm stuck on the last 5.  Thanks in advance for your help.

RunDeckFan

Aug 7, 2015, 12:19:01 PM8/7/15
to rundeck-discuss
Which version of Windows is returning the error?

Evelyn Dibben

Aug 7, 2015, 12:24:33 PM8/7/15
to rundeck-discuss
Sorry for the incomplete information

Win 2003 SP2 (yes I know it's at end of life and an upgrade is in the planning phase).

The 5 servers that have the problem are VMs that were cloned from servers that I got working (also VMS).  We have tried:

Rebooting
Turning the windows firewall on/off - makes no difference
Installing winrm again

We can't figure out how to un-install winrm - it isn't listed as an option in the Add/Remove Programs page (under the Add/Remove System Objects).

I've eye balled the IIS configuration and the bad servers appear to be identical to the good servers.

Greg Schueler

Aug 7, 2015, 12:33:12 PM8/7/15
to rundeck...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evelyn, what is the output of:  winrm get winrm/config

Evelyn Dibben

Aug 7, 2015, 12:36:35 PM8/7/15
to rundeck-discuss
I'm not kidding when I say 'any command'

C>winrm get winrm/config
WSManFault
    Message = The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a respon
se saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by
a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol.

Error number:  -2144108269 0x80338113
The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the
requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server
that does not support the WS-Management protocol.

Greg Schueler

Aug 7, 2015, 7:22:40 PM8/7/15
to rundeck...@googlegroups.com
That's very weird, I have not seen that before.  I don't have any suggestion.  If "winrm quickconfig" does the same thing, it sounds like a misconfiguration in some other part of the system. Anything in the windows system logging?

Scorch the earth and re-clone your vms?? :-)

Evelyn Dibben

Aug 7, 2015, 7:40:48 PM8/7/15
to rundeck-discuss
The system event log is showing the following messages:

Information:
The WinRM service is listening for WS-Management requests.

 User Action
 Use the following command to see the specific IPs on which WinRM is listening:

 winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener

and
Warning:
The WinRM service is not listening for WS-Management requests.

 User Action
 If you did not intentionally stop the service, use the following command to see the WinRM configuration:

 winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener

They are sort of random.

And yes

winrm enumerate winrm/config/listener

returns the same error.

These are our DR servers and they are all running the same software.  I doubt that I can talk the developers into cloning them again.

ashokkum...@gmail.com

ashokkum...@gmail.com