Learning Ruby

Gabriel Stein

May 15, 2013, 5:41:32 AM5/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Well, I will present myself. I'm Gabriel Stein, Sysadmin, I came from Brazil, but I'm living the last 3 years in Munich and I'm trying to learn Ruby to use it in the future, like a devops or probably with software development.

I think that is a kind of repetitive mail, but I would like to ask about some workshops, presentations or  book references to people who are learning Ruby. I will be also interested in the future to work with some opensource projects or also some 'Ausbildung'  which gives the oportunity to people do the first steps learning Ruby. The references and tutorials can be in German or English.

At the moment, I'm using some online tutorials like CodeAcademy, but I feel that learning there I will not be prepared to develop in a real-life situation(yes, of course, for that someone needs time to get know-how, experience and so on). I'm trying to implement at my dreamhost server Passenger, but I'm having some problems, but I'm thinking that will be kind exciting to learn more about Passanger doi it understand my code.

I'm thinking also to attend the Ruby Conference in Barcelona, to get in touch and meet the comunity. Anyone is attending  the conference too?

Will be nice to receive some answers.

All the Best,

Gabriel

Robert Curth

May 15, 2013, 6:25:13 AM5/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
@Jupp I am attending with 3 colleagues from gutefrage.net. Looking
forward to see you on one of our next User Groups ;)

2013/5/15 Gabriel Stein <gabrie...@gmail.com>:

Philipp Fehre

May 15, 2013, 12:10:50 PM5/15/13
to rubyshift...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel,

Personally to get going with a new language I think the "Learn X the hard way" by Zed Shaw are pretty nice, there is a ruby one http://ruby.learncodethehardway.org/ as well.

I wanted to attend Baruco as well but it seems like it is sold out, soo :(

well, looking forward to meet you at the next meetup